curious about a swap h-6 to ej205 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
curious about a swap h-6 to ej205

Hi, love my subie, as we all do here lol, anyway, im wondering how much fab a swap would be on my 2004 outback ll bean h6, my overall goal is a turbocharged engine that has an aftermarket “market” i want to tune and really have fun with this guy, the h6 currently has life, and seems to run well, but i cant seem to find parts without going full custom, and i dont know enough personally to build something like that alone with confidence. Plus i dont even knkw where to start when it gets to ecu and all that computer jazz. Any ideas? I want something different, a real sleeper Outback with a turbocharged wrx engine or equivalent

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 08:45 AM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
paging @cardoc

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 10:01 AM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
are you near Canada? maybe you could get one of these across the border;

https://www.velocitycars.ca/vehicles?Make=Subaru

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

I am in the Pacific Northwest, getting something from Canada could be a good choice
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

I was looking at getting a jdm replacement and maybe instead of getting my h6 id go with a turbocharged wrx engine.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 08:26 AM

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well this is interesting.

First off, it's doable. Anything is, really.

Here's your swap list:
engine and cradle
transmission
exhaust
radiator
Fuel pump
pedal assembly
complete harnesses - engine and instrument panel
computer to match the drivetrain
cluster assembly
wiring diagrams
patience

Optional directions:
You could use a GT or XT if you can't find a wrecked WRX. Same engine.

You can blow the EZ30D (been there, done that, drive it daily and get more HP than a WRX). On this forum a member has a Raptor SC for sale, WantAnOutback, and he's in Cali. You just add in 650cc WRX injectors with a modified fuel rail, higher volume fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, #7 spark plugs or higher, WRX MAP sensor (rescale the ECM), a shut valve for the brake booster so air isn't pushed in to it, intercooler of your choice, (I recommend a WTA either way you go, works great), move the ABS module and PS reservoir, and tune it with help from Ed at XRT. See my thread sleeper vdc for more info. Lots of power and you keep the automatic. It would be a good idea to swap the center diff to a VTD from a JDM or VDC car though. The LL Bean has the MPT differential and you'd get a lot of front wheel spin on take off, plus the VTD diff is a tough set up that will put up with the torque transfer. Just ask Forester owners that have modified their engines.

You could find an Outback with a 2.5 and that would reduce the need for an H4 interior harness. You'd still need the WRX engine harness and comp. Then you could swap all the leather, trim, etc.

Get a Legacy wagon and use that as a platform. It's already sitting lower than an Outback, you just lose the lower paneling and flared fenders.

Tuning is easy. You'll need a laptop, Rom Raider, ECU Flash, a Tactrix cable and I would recommend wiring in switches in place of using the jumpers, you wouldn't be up and down getting under the instrument panel to connect and disconnect the jumpers when reading and flashing. I set up 2 toggle switches between the steering column and fog/cruise/wiper heater switches. Works great.

Cost difference between boosting your H6 vs swapping in a WRX drivetrain is huge. The swap would be higher in $$$ and labor time.

The H6 will not need any engine modifications other than the bolt ons I mentioned. You'll just have to make sure there's no vacuum leaks, no valve issues, good compression, the car isn't burning oil in any manner, all the oil seals are good and you have a good thermostat. Make sure the cats are good and not constricted. You won't be spending time in swapping drivetrains and harnesses. You won't need to buy a whole car to park next to the Bean while you swap parts, then have to get rid of the shell of the donor after.

I actually spent about a week of evenings on my car (about 3-4 hours a night) initially getting everything modified after I had all the parts I figured I needed at the time. I had a shop with a lift and all my tools, too. Then we started tuning and had the pop ups here and there to take care of. I spent 8 months prior to starting figuring out everything with most of the time being spent on the computer tuning portion. At least that part of the equation is done for you.

There's probably a few things I am forgetting to mention, but it'll come to me as you have questions.

It's great getting in to modifying any car. I've done work on all kinds and types of cars over the years and it's addictive. You'll never have it "finished", always coming up with something different. Figure out your cost variables, a budget and the time you want to spend on it then make your decision. Either way, it'll be yours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: