Car Camping Gurus - Need Advice - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2012 Outback 3.6R Limited +M/R +HK
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Car Camping Gurus - Need Advice

So for those of you that have camped in your OB, do you do anything special with your rear seats?

To back up a tiny bit I have leather seats in my ‘12 OB limited and whenever I fold the seats down the backs get divots in them from the seatbelt receivers. They are tucked in the cracks of the seat best they can be but, perhaps there’s another trick or work around. They still stick up about a half inch to inch and it’s bothersome. I actually want the leather and the seats to hold up for the next 5 to six years

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:37 PM

My 2010 with light cream leather, that hauls kids under 9yrs old and a 75lb Doberman, camping, sailing, soccer, etc all the stuff thats more or less super abusive on seat coverings still looks pretty good. I wipe it down with warm soapy water.

Hint it’s mainly fake leather. Harsh cleaners do more damage than cleaning.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:44 PM

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6 Limited
I have the 2011 3.6R Premium - so leather as well. Not that you asked, but I prefer leather because we do a lot of family trips in our car. Leather much easier to clean. I've switched our baby seat in and out of the Subie so many times I could do it in my sleep. Also used the car many times as an uber/lyft driver. The car has been loaded inside to the max many times for camping and weekend trips. The seats are very durable. You can use Meguiar's Leather Cleaner to get the stains out.

When I camped inside of it, I learned to insert towels in the gap between the seats. Then, I layer the cargo area with comfy blankets. If done well, and if you are tired enough, you won't notice. With my Subie, I had to park it on a small decline with the front faci
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Keeping them clean and upkept is pretty easy and I have my camping setup fairly down.

My main concern is when the seats are folded down and the side bolsters of the seats dig into the bench seats belt receivers. I may have to try the towel trick but fear it may cause too much incline in the seat.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:57 AM

Car: '17 Outback 3.6R Limited, '05 Forester
I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, but when we go camping, we have an inflatable mattress - I think it is a Double and not a Queen size. We blow it up with the attached pump plugged into the cigar lighter. It fits snugly between the wheels and does not move. While traveling, we deflate it and have it in its bag.
We bought it from Amazon but I don't see the exact one we have anymore but the brand name is AeroBed. I would suggest checking the dimensions inside your OB before buying.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:24 PM

Car: '18 3.6R Ltd
Interesting question that I'd not seen before. I expect that your concern is about the effects of weight on the folded seat-back and how that pushes the bolsters harder into the seat-belt receivers.

I say this because, ever since I bought our OB 8 months ago, I've kept the back seat folded down almost permanently. Generally, there's no extra weight on the seat back, and (I just checked) the bolsters have very minor dimples where the receivers hit them. (I just put some padding -- folded pieces of torn-up white tee-shirt material -- in there as protection.) I expect that weight on the seat back would, over time, create somewhat bigger dimples and possible damage the leather (or whatever it is).

Seems like padding and keeping the leather of the bolsters as supple as possible is the only workable approach.

Side note: Because I keep the seat down, and because I've got that ivory leather, I created a non-retractable window-shade sort of cover for the area forward of the Subaru window-shade bar -- it's black (light-weight) canvas and covers everything up to the forward edge of the folded seat back. Cargo, up to about the bottom of the side windows, can be covered by it, and when there's nothing back there is makes everything aft of the front seats invisible. I'd take a picture, but even with flash it's almost impossible to see. HPH

Subaru #8 is the best one yet ... although the Legacy GT Spec B and Gen 3 OBXT were pretty nice...and the STi was no slouch.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes seems that you grasp what I’m getting at. Sounds like I’ll have to experiment with a couple different materials to throw over the buckle receivers. I wonder how hard it would be to just take off and out back on if I knew that the seats would be folded down for an extended period of time. Thanks everyone
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wagon & a 2.5 Limited Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSilverSubie View Post
Yes seems that you grasp what I’m getting at. Sounds like I’ll have to experiment with a couple different materials to throw over the buckle receivers. I wonder how hard it would be to just take off and out back on if I knew that the seats would be folded down for an extended period of time. Thanks everyone
do a google image search of this forum about "car camping". and see the pics. and go to the many threads

any outback of 2010-19 should be relevant, (1995-09 were a little more cramped).

and we do have lots of threads on the subject as the outback has the space you can do it, and off load the contents of the car into a quickly set up tent.
(and then the humans are "hopefully" free of snakes, bugs, rabid raccoons,....bears with body odor,...mountain lions with bad breath.)

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:25 PM

Car: 2017 OB 2.5 Lim/ 2005 STI 400 WHP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: