Shipping Outback from USA -> Europe? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5 Premium
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shipping Outback from USA -> Europe?

Hello friends,

has any of your shipped your Outback from USA to EU for personal use? I know Subarus in Europe are quite expensive. When moving to Europe later this year I am deliberating whether to take my car with me or not.

I wonder if I find anyone who has done it.

Thanks,
Jeremy)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:22 AM

If you have the money to spend and time to wait, go for it...

But for a subie, I personally wouldn’t do it..

You would have to pay for freight and all of the import/export fees, and who knows what type of mods you might have to make make it compliant to register it..

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:19 AM

Car: Toyota Auris Hybrid

For sure you have to switch the cluster from miles to km.
Furthermore in EU the daily running lights are mandatory, as well as the e-call. Here, no star link as well as Sirius, but we have DAB+ radio.

Not owning a Subaru, but driving it time to time (a proper
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with the 1.6 DIT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:57 AM

Car: 2018 Outback Limited 2.5 w Eyesight
Garage
There are a few services like this out there:
https://www.wcshipping.com/blog/impo...out-paying-tax

Because of the timelines involved you should be OK without the e call. TPMS isn't a thing over there so that won't matter, but DRLs or some sort of always on headlight system will likely have to be retrofitted.

Cars are expensive in some European countries and more reasonable in others. Remember the price you see is the price you pay - no tax, extra charges etc added. It's all in the price (as it should be, IMO). Engines in Europe tend to be a lot more efficient as well as gas prices are double to triple that of North America. So, weigh the options. Your US$ will go far buying a car there.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:39 AM

Car: Toyota Auris Hybrid

Just as info, in CH the gasoline is about 1.40€/liter, in Italy is about 1.60.

Not owning a Subaru, but driving it time to time (a proper
with the 1.6 DIT
)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:18 PM

Car: '15 Outback 2.5i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by subi_driver View Post
For sure you have to switch the cluster from miles to km.

Furthermore in EU the daily running lights are mandatory, as well as the e-call. Here, no star link as well as Sirius, but we have DAB+ radio.
Is an odometer that tabulates in km instead of miles required? The speedometer is marked in both MPH and km/h.

DRLs are standard on 2015 US Outbacks even though they are not required here. I'm assuming that's what the OP has based on his details.

The US-spec radio may indeed not work.

I'd never heard of eCall and had to look it up.

From https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-...ars-april-2018:

Quote:
Today the European Parliament voted in favour of eCall regulation which requires all new cars be equipped with eCall technology from April 2018. In the event of a serious accident, eCall automatically dials 112 - Europe's single emergency number.
His 2015 car should be exempt from that, shouldn't it?

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the size of the fuel-filler orifice. Will a US-spec car requiring unleaded fuel accept EU dispenser nozzles without modification?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:51 PM

Car: 2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersk View Post

Because of the timelines involved you should be OK without the e call. TPMS isn't a thing over there so that won't matter, but DRLs or some sort of always on headlight system will likely have to be retrofitted.
Are the reduced-intensity high beams not enough? I believe that's what the 2015 uses for DRLs here in the US...

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wagon & a 2.5 Limited Sedan
if the US government is paying to haul it,

yes take it and leave it there selling it for profit.

if not drop your subaru at Carmax (and similar), and go there and buy local.

and if you return to the states buy another subaru.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:26 PM

Car: 2018 Outback Limited 2.5 w Eyesight
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallux View Post
Are the reduced-intensity high beams not enough? I believe that's what the 2015 uses for DRLs here in the US...
Should be if that's what is used. My 2018 has LEDs around the outside of the lens.

I lived in the UK for a few years and while you never think about it, there are key differences in the cars due to region specific specs.

Also note that at least on my Canadian 2018 the headlights are Euro headlight pattern (a sharp cut in the projection with a definite end to the light vs the fuzzy fade-away pattern US lights have). Those are legal here as are the US headlight patterns. I am not sure if his car would have the Euro headlights or not, but I have heard of some US cars needing to replace with Euro lenses.

And of course, if the car is going to Britain, LHD is legal but the headlights HAVE to be replaced for driving on the left.

Bumpers are also potential issues as American collision standards are designed for car-to-car where Euro bumper standards are more to protect Pedestrians. This may be a needed modification.

Plus, the radio won't likely work properly, as Euro radios rely on RMS technology that is different than the US and do not just have odd decimals on FM stations.

Licence plates are not the same size although some countries have square ones to fit on US and Japanese spec imports.

Euro airbag, seatbelt and crash test standards are also way more stringent, but generally a personal import is exempt from that.

So, in a nutshell, sell the car and buy a new one over there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: