I'm getting dash cams NOW and why you should too. - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6 Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm getting dash cams NOW and why you should too.

Last week our family was targeted by a road rage driver in a quiet neighborhood south of Denver. Despite my efforts to not provoke the guy such as not using the horn nor the lights, nor using hand gestures or the car in any way to harass him, the guy hit us twice: once on the side and the other in the rear. Our beloved 2011 Outback 3.6R Premium, which is the 1st car I purchased new, well maintained by me and treated with care on and off the road, has suffered an accident. This is the first accident we've had in this car.

Without going into details, the police gave both drivers a citation for careless driving. Yes, I'm very innocent and handled my car to the highest regard for care and safety for everyone. I do have a statement from an independent witness that corroborates our statements that the guy attacked us.

One hour before the crash I told my friends I was close to purchasing dash cams to protect us. Two days ago and yesterday we were tailgated by aggressive drivers. One of them stalked me - when he realized I was using my iPhone to video him, he finally turned on to a side street.

Though attorneys have told me most likely we have sufficient evidence to prove I was not careless and imprudent in any way, and the prosecutor will most likely dismiss the charge, if I had the video footage it would confirm the account.

So we are getting the Blackvue DR900S 2 channel dash cams, front and rear, and with the additional Blackvue battery B-124 Ultra for parking monitoring. One set for our Subie, the other for my wife's Honda.

If you have not installed dash cams, make it one of your highest priorities. If you drive with the highest regard for safety, and are innocent in an accident and/or potentially receiving a citation, video footage may be all you have to prove it in a court of law.

JacquesPere, DoctorB and W8MJE like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:47 PM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
any chance of video from a neighbor or business's security cams?

glad everyone is physically OK. This guy may be a 'frequent flyer' known to the courts - might get charges dropped.

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:48 PM

Garage
Glock 19 is what protects me from road raging assholes.

2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited Crystal White Pearl w/ Slate Black leather interior, 5% tints all around, yellow Lamin-X fog light film, Diode Dynamics Cool White ledís throughout cabin. JDM storage tray.
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:58 PM

Car: 2008 Subaru Outback Base. 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i. 2013 Harely-Davidson FLHTK.
Garage
Sorry you had this happen. I have had a dash cam installed in my car for about 4 years. I haven't needed it for any legal reasons, but it sure gives others some laughs when I show them footage. I need to get the rear camera mounted and hooked up.
scoobydoo2 and repete like this.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:05 PM

Car: 2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiC70 View Post
Glock 19 is what protects me from road raging assholes.
I have a 24" Crescent Wrench behind my seat. But I would never get out of the car in CO. For this very reason above. I there are more guns in Colorado than there is weed. And there is a lot of weed.
zdubas, sdwindansea and 1werd like this.

tdck's FrankenWagon
suspension - brakes - cooling - power
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb
Chassis & Suspension Bits
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Also XRT Tuned & Running Blind

CKE SSP product information and sales :
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:12 PM

@CO_Subie I feel you.

I have been stalked, chased, had sh*t thrown at my car ... once a full hand full of coins. That will do a number on your body panels or windshield. I have even been spat on.

And in each case I have no idea what instigated the event. I'm a driver that still uses my turn signal.

What's really sad is how much the Front Range "Driver Rage" has been increasing so much lately. I have been up North for 9 years now. The traffic has always s*cked. But in the last few years, with all of the the new angry transplants that moved here to smoke pot, sometimes it gets downright dangerous.

One of the above times I was running a GoPro out the rear and front glass. The dude who chased and spat on me didn't care. Even with me pointing at the camera, he just kept raging on.

tdck's FrankenWagon

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb

post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by traildogck View Post
I have a 24" Crescent Wrench behind my seat. But I would never get out of the car in CO. For this very reason above. I there are more guns in Colorado than there is weed. And there is a lot of weed.
First, you never bring a crescent wrench to a gunfight.
Second, Iím in Florida last I read we have 2.2 million CCW holders.
Wilko1 and ELCID86 like this.

2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited Crystal White Pearl w/ Slate Black leather interior, 5% tints all around, yellow Lamin-X fog light film, Diode Dynamics Cool White ledís throughout cabin. JDM storage tray.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:35 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
Garage
I bought a dash cam but not because of a road rage incident,although I've experienced a few. It was after an "accident" that I was found 100% at fault for. After talking to multiple claims associates and many others,one of the associates recommended I purchase one. (another said the reason that State Farm accepted 100% liability was to prevent the other party from being able to turn around and sue in the future) A neighbor recommended this particular one https://www.rexingusa.com/products/rexing-v1/ because of the "crazy drivers" he encounters every day.
Jerseytrvlr likes this.

The OLDER I get,the BETTER I was
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiC70 View Post
First, you never bring a crescent wrench to a gunfight.
No ... if it's a gun fight, then you are gonna need to bring a gun. (know how to use it) Thing is, who decides in each random situation? The guy with the gun I suppose.

tdck's FrankenWagon

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb

post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:56 PM

I always thought it was crazy back up cameras don't also record while driving. The camera is already there. How hard would it be for car companies to add a recording function?

NYhiker likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: