Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums (https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/61-general-discussions/)
-   -   Do I stay or do I go? (https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/61-general-discussions/508991-do-i-stay-do-i-go.html)

99Wagon 04-20-2019 12:03 PM

Do I stay or do I go?

Greetings all.

My wife and I are kind of at a crossroads with our Subarus. A 13 Outback Limited and a 14 Legacy base.

We have been considering lately jumping ship to another brand. These 2 vehicles have sadly soured our view on Subaru. I wish we had never gotten rid of our 99 Outback.

The Outback burns oil and the transmission makes that lovely rattling noise. Of course, it doesn't burn enough oil to warrant a short block replacement. The transmission has started to become what we feel is a safety issue pulling into traffic. You hit the gas and it barely accelerates for a good 3 or 4 seconds. Then you feel it "downshift" and it takes off. It also slips at low speeds under light acceleration, like when going up a slight hill in a 25mph zone. Dealer has told us the noise is "normal for newly designed transmission". I have not had them diag the hesitation/slipping yet. I highly doubt they will install a new transmission without a fight.

The Legacy has the valve noise from the passenger side, which the dealer has told me was injectors, and the transmission has started with the same symptoms as the Outback.

I realize everyone on this board is a Subaru fan. I still am to a certain degree however I feel like I'm sitting on a time bomb with these vehicles. Transmissions from what I've researched are around 8k to replace and the 100k warranty extenstion for the Outback runs out in about 15k. And while apparently the engine noise with my Legacy is not a cause for concern according to a TSB about it, that also makes me nervous.

So what would you good folks do? Keep it and hold my breath that they last, or dump while I can before something major happens. It's really a shame. These vehicles were supposed to be onese we hung on to for a long time. Doesn't seem like that's going to happen at this point.

TSB for Legacy engine noise:

https://subaru.oemdtc.com/936/revise...legacy-outback

eagleeye 04-20-2019 12:18 PM

as you got the shitt end of the stick with those 2 particular cars. for the early FB25B engine / problematic transmission.

I would not want to keep either past the 100,000 mile mark for the engine / CVT fixes.

did you consider buying something like a 2013-14 H6 powered outback or legacy, with the last of the great 5EATs? (rare but possible to find one, but really great with limited AND eyesight )

these would be on the "best subaru ever lists" of many members here. and even if going to another brand or front wheel drive cars, nice to pull a great subaru out with snow tires on the worst days in the north east. (even if its the only one you got)

and what you got today, I think of as the worst ones made in the past 10 years. (save maybe a FB25B CVT 2011-14 forester with its crap seats to further hate)

Wiscoutback87 04-20-2019 12:32 PM

Sorry to hear your troubles with the cars. IMO I would keep them until the warranty period and just make sure oil is topped off and such. Maybe look for low miles older Outbacks to replace with and go that route.

99Wagon 04-20-2019 12:48 PM

Something like this? It's even the same color as the one we have now :grin2:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...t&CMP=atempest

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagleeye (Post 5814539)
as you got the shitt end of the stick with those 2 particular cars. for the early FB25B engine / problematic transmission.

I would not want to keep either past the 100,000 mile mark for the engine / CVT fixes.

did you consider buying something like a 2013-14 H6 powered outback or legacy, with the last of the great 5EATs? (rare but possible to find one, but really great with limited AND eyesight )

these would be on the "best subaru ever lists" of many members here. and even if going to another brand or front wheel drive cars, nice to pull a great subaru out with snow tires on the worst days in the north east. (even if its the only one you got)

and what you got today, I think of as the worst ones made in the past 10 years. (save maybe a FB25B CVT 2011-14 forester with its crap seats to further hate)

z28dug 04-20-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99Wagon (Post 5814531)

I realize everyone on this board is a Subaru fan.

Not everyone is a Subaru fan boy. If I were you I would be divesting myself of both vehicles.

Wiscoutback87 04-20-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99Wagon (Post 5814565)
Something like this? It's even the same color as the one we have now :grin2:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...t&CMP=atempest

if that's in your price range, yes I would go for it

scoobydoo2 04-21-2019 04:08 PM

I hear the OP on his concerns. Our ‘11 OB has had its fair share of issues...starting with a HG at just under 60,000miles. The other biggie was two prop shafts In under a year. Had all four corner bearings replaced, the front left axle...3 times...it is now just 5k short of 200,000 km so I expect some issues...but big ones...?

That said we went ahead and got the new crosstrek...like the brand, AWD,...

99Wagon 04-21-2019 05:12 PM

We like the brand too which is why this is upsetting. Subaru's fit our lifestyle well but it seems as their popularity has grown, quality has gone down. If the transmission wasn't giving us problems I wouldn't think of getting rid of it. I'll dump a quart of oil in every couple thousand miles. But given the replacement cost and the issues I keep seeing that come up conveniently after the extended warranty is done are very worrying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobydoo2 (Post 5815223)
I hear the OP on his concerns. Our ‘11 OB has had its fair share of issues...starting with a HG at just under 60,000miles. The other biggie was two prop shafts In under a year. Had all four corner bearings replaced, the front left axle...3 times...it is now just 5k short of 200,000 km so I expect some issues...but big ones...?

That said we went ahead and got the new crosstrek...like the brand, AWD,...

DugsSin 04-22-2019 09:06 AM

Do whatever puts a smile on your face life it too frigging short. :2cents:

subiesailor 04-22-2019 11:38 AM

Yeah you bought the worst yrs 2x. Both our 2010’s have been trouble free but all our dealers are horrible now bought out by mega Auto Groups. Grandma said screw it bought a Tesla, keeping the Legacy as long as its trouble free.

My 2010 OB is probably the last Subaru I’ll own. I have a Mercedes, Toyota and a Ford.The only two with decent and fair dealers is the Ford and Merc. My Merc has never been to the dealer not once and its an 05. Local indi guy does all the service. All our Subaru dealers within 70 miles are complete crap pushing the 400% markup BS.