Subaru Outback Forums banner

What is that noise?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  jsgntulok 
#1 ·
2018 Outback. I park the car, pull the parking brake lever, shift to park, turn the radio off, turn the ventilation fan off, stop the engine. All quiet in the car. Then, as I open the drivers door, all doors unlock, and I hear a motor in the dash run for a second, like something is resetting. Just curious as to what is happening in the car. Any ideas?

#2 ·
I guess this is a subaru of some kind.

that is only a guess.

year / model/ trim / engine / transmission. ?

2nd guess this is a Cadillac

#3 ·
I've heard that on my 2019 as well. I am speculating that the vehicle might simply be moving some HVAC flaps around to some sort of default positions when parked? After a longer drive, there also seems to be a cooling fan of some sort running in the dash after the vehicle is shut off, maybe to cool down the head unit? Lastly, I believe there is also some sort of fuel tank pressurization system that runs an hour or so (maybe longer?) after the vehicle is shut off, which has surprised some people puttering around in their quiet garages...

In any case, modern vehicles are complex and so far, the noises have not worried me. :smile2:

#5 ·
Maybe the HVAC door or blend valve resetting to a parking position of some sort? Mine's probably too old to be of similar design.

#6 ·
I always thought the noise was the anti-theft steering wheel lock mechanism.

2015 OB OM, pg 7-14, "Steering lock (models with “keyless access with pushbutton start system”) After stopping the engine and the driver’s door is open, the steering wheel will be locked due to the steering lock function. When the engine is restarted, the steering lock will be automatically canceled."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.