Gallery uploading help please??? - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 08:53 AM

Car: 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Navigation (Wilderness Green)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

BikeOutback, that's perfect! If you right-click on the image in your post and click Properties, you'll see the pixel dimensions and the filesize. Keep in mind, though, that the image you posted has been downsized by this site when you submitted it. Your original image (the big version in the gallery) is as you submitted it. (Also keep in mind that the software used on this site to create the smaller gallery images is set for a very high compression level. I always submit smaller images and I notice that it seriously affects the quality, making the small version soft and fuzzy.) You'll also notice that with JPEG images, the more detail in the image (such as fine textures or lots of leaves, rocks or grass, for example), the larger the filesize will be at a given compression level. More highly detailed photos will unfortunately require more compression than a less-detailed image (such as your test photo that contains many large smooth areas) in order to get the same filesizes. It's a little hard to follow at first, but you will get the hang of it. It's always going to be a compromise with JPEG images to balance image dimensions, image detail, compression level, color (red, for example, almost always shows some JPEG artifacts even at the lower levels of compression!) and the final filesize. The downside of higher compression is that image quality generally suffers.

Cheers ...

[Sorry, editied for more clarity.]

Moderation in all things ... including moderation itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2003 Outback Wagon 2.5L 4cyl.
Send a message via AIM to BikeOutback
Woo hoo, easy now that I got the hang of it, just alot of trial and error. In case anybody wanted to see the other shots I have about 7 in my gallery of snow-outback shots from Northern MN last weekend. About 11 inches dropped in 12 hours or so. I've only had my outback since last October and I have never been as impressed with it as I was last weekend and it's only a "low end" 2.5i model. Link to Gallery

thank you all those who helped and feel free to keep adding tips.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 09:15 AM

Car: 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Navigation (Wilderness Green)

Quote:
Originally posted by BikeOutback

Link to Gallery
Love the photos! B-r-r-r-r!!!

I had an '00 OBW-Ltd and an '04 OBW-LLBean, both in white, and had lots of great fun with them.

Cheers ...

Moderation in all things ... including moderation itself.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Tokyo's between my toes

Car: 2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
Quote:
Originally posted by BikeOutback
That is what I'm trying to accomplish and after searching forums didn't see any information so thouht I'd start a thread that hopefully will help future users also
Hail to Thee, Good Citizen ... I "stuck" the thread so it will remain at the top of the forum.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2003 Outback Wagon 2.5L 4cyl.
Send a message via AIM to BikeOutback
Here is the simple steps I took: Opened my jpeg picture using Windows picture and fax viewer and hit edit button. This pulls the picture into Paint (not best for editing but works and most PCs have it). Then went up to image on top menu and hit the Stretch/Skew and a small box comes up. Within this box is 4 settings, I only played with Stretch settings. Both Horizontal and Vertical are set at 100%, I changed them both to the same number, on most of my pics to 75% and then saved it. Checked properties and repeated steps till the picture size was below 250KB. I know there are better ways of doing this, however for those getting started as I was yesterday this was quick and easy to get going and get pics up on gallery. Hope it helps others.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Tokyo's between my toes

Car: 2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
I use the image editing software that came with one of my digital cameras, it allows a percentage-based resize function. Normally for posting to a board I'll reduce it to 50%, which IIRC makes a 800x600 from my current camera settings.

A word about compression - my understanding is that bitmaps are not compressed at all. If you had an image of a green square, the bitmap code would say "draw a green pixel, draw a green pixel, draw a green pixel, draw a green pixel, draw a green pixel, draw a green pixel..." until the image was rendered.

But a jpeg would say "draw green pixels from XY coordinates__:__ to__:__" The saving in file size would be the greatest for a single color that never changes, and it would diminish as the image became more busy, with more changes in color.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 07:46 PM

Car: 1999 Legacy Outback 2.5L 5spd
A free windows 9x through Vista(allegedly) image-editor I have used primarily for a good 3 years. When I can't use school computers that have the expensive Adobe software.

http://irfanview.com/

Open picture from a camera
Click on the Image menu
Select "Resize/Resample"
Then play around with the options until you find a system that works for you. I just make sure the aspect ratio is fixed, and DPI is 72 (both bottom-left of the window), then set new size in terms of pixels, usually 800X600 (approximately), and that reduces my camera's 1.5-2 MB JPEG files to about 100 kbs. (again, different for each image)

And for those of this board on dial-up, I notice, even on the slower of the DSL services, more and more websites take longer to load. Then I when I'm living at my very techy school...

Oh, yeah, and I've moved to TEXAS!!! (yes, it is a bit warm...)

--Alien Out

'99 LOB MT 2.5L ~136k miles?
'85 Kawasaki 700LTD shaftie
'79 Suzuki GS850G also shaftie
'07 Ducati ST3
'99 Honda VFR - 122k miles, Has one deer to its record. Also took out wrist, but deer came out worse.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 09:47 PM

Test
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 07:45 PM

Car: 2016 Outback
hi....I'm new here....I can't seem to find the answer to this question....how do I get a picture to appear in the box on the left of my posts?....under my name?...thanks
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Superb Moderator

Car: MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
Hello. Go to your control panel (top left of page) And then go to edit options. At the bottom is where you can upload an avatar or select from ones we have on the site.

Let us know if you are still having problems.

Brian

If you can't see into the future, you aren't driving fast enough

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: