Gallery uploading help please??? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2003 Outback Wagon 2.5L 4cyl.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BikeOutback
Gallery uploading help please???

I am trying to upload some nice shots I've got of my outback tooling through the snow last weekend but they are about 500Kb each. What is the easiest way of getting them down 250KB so I can get them up for others to see?? They are currently jpg files and I looked at cutting them but most of them are just shots of the car. I'm also trying to keep the quality, I see nice picutes in postings all the time, all help appreciated thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

I did some more playing and it seems that I can open them to edit and then do some stretch/skew and to 75% and it doesn't change the picture too much but does drop the size down, hopefully it works. I'll keep playing with them but any other advice or how anybody else gets photos up would be helpful still. Thanks.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 04:13 PM

Car: 2013 3.6R Limited SAP
You'll need to open the photo in an image editing program such as Adobe or Paint Shop Pro, or even Microsoft Photo Editor.

Crop or resize the image.

Then when you are ready to save the image, you'll need to select the quality setting related to the jpg and reduce it down. As you reduce the quality the program will calculate the file size. Just reduce the quality until it just falls below the maximum file size.

Upload your image and you're done!

Hope this helps,
Steve
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Another question - should I be blacking or editing as best as possible license plate or doesn't it matter? I guess what is the reason behind blocking that out or is it just personal preference?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Tokyo's between my toes

Car: 2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
Most people wipe out their plates for online pics, though not all do. I don't know of any specific threat that can come from someone getting your number, but who knows? It's another data point, don't volunteer it to an unknown audience.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 04:56 PM

Car: 2006 Silver OB 2.5i MT
Quote:
Originally posted by BikeOutback
I guess what is the reason behind blocking that out or is it just personal preference?
so you can freely argue online w/ no repercussions! which is why I agree w/ everybody LOL
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 05:51 PM

Car: 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Navigation (Wilderness Green)
Unhappy For us poor dial-up viewers...

Please bear in mind that roughly half the U.S. is still on dial-up connections (including yours truly ). I simply love to look at other people's photos, but as soon as I detect that they are too big (display size-wise and/or download time-wise), I habitually cancel the download. That's a shame 'cuz there's no telling how many other viewers are doing the same thing and missing out on some great pics.

As a rule of thumb for Web purposes an image with display dimensions of 480x640 pixels (VGA) to 600x800 pixels (SVGA) and a filesize of 100-150KB (VGA) to 125-200KB (SVGA) respectively, is quite acceptable. These figures will allow high-quality images on almost all computer monitors, and with tolerable download times. Your image editor will provide a means of resizing the image's dimensions (without the necessity of cropping) as well as letting you select an appropriate JPEG compression level for saving the image at the filesize you require. If necessary, provide links in your posts to your larger, higher resolution files stored elsewhere. Thanks for your kind consideration.

Cheers ...

Moderation in all things ... including moderation itself.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 06:09 AM
Tokyo's between my toes

Car: 2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
I hit this site through dialup here at the family home, and broadband at my apartment, and the difference is huge.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

I completely understand the reasons behind the resizing the pictures down to size and I hope the way I am doing it allows for those on lower speed connections to view them, I'm just not at all proficient what so ever in working with images... yet. That is what I'm trying to accomplish and after searching forums didn't see any information so thouht I'd start a thread that hopefully will help future users also, I know there are others that aren't good with images yet either. Thanks all for the help and hopefully how I'm doing it works... next to figure out how to get them into posts - I'm also the type that has been just hitting buttons and playing in photo editor till I figure something out and hope I can remember my steps to help others.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Just to test it, able to see this alright or is it too large? I have the size down and it looks really good in the gallery with a small and large file but the dimensions may be too large still?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: