Run Around Sue - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring Deep Blue Pearl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Run Around Sue

Hi there. Just bought my first Subaru, a deep blue pearl 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring, and I just joined this forum. I'm looking forward to picking brains, reading others' adventures, and sharing. In the spirit of sharing, a little about Run Around Sue, I was gonna call her Hannah, as Hannah is spelled the same forwards or backwards, and I was sure this outback was going to be able to get me there (wherever there might be) and then back again, but I digress. The 0% for 63 months was hard to resist, and, uh, well, I went a little crazy by getting the touring trim level (love the java leather) with the bigger engine (needed to schlep me, my friends and our gear up whatever), which already had some factory installed options (i.e., remote start, all weather floor mats, wheel arches, interior LED lighting). I then wanted some off-road equipment the parts department tracked down and installed. Here is the list of upgrades, and I hope the pic loaded.

LP Aventure 2" LIFT KIT
LP Aventure BIG BUMPER GUARD
LP Aventure FRONT PLATE FOR BIG BUMPER GUARD
LP Aventure SKID PLATE secured with Rally Washers
RALLY ARMOR MUD FLAPS RA-MF36-UR-BLK/GRY
Thule Crossbar Set
Thule Heavy-Duty Roof Cargo Basket
Thule Bike Carrier - Hitch Mounted
Method Race Wheels 502 Rally | Titanium
245/65R17 Terra Grappler G2 All-Terrain Light Truck Radial Tires
CURT CLASS 2 TRAILER HITCH
CURT CUSTOM WIRING CONNECTOR #56040
CURT 45785 Receiver Tube Adapter
Primitive Racing Rear Diff Skid Plate (dealer threw this in)
Severe Weather Kit (dealer threw this in)
First Aid Kid (dealer threw this in)
Sun Shade (dealer threw this in)
Ceramic window tinting on all windows including windshield (driver's and passenger's windows tinted to match color of rear windows)

ANd here are some items I'm still considering
LP Aventure FULL ARMOR OPTION to go on the big bumper guard (gotta do it)
CUSCO REAR TOW HOOK (no brainer)
LED LIGHTs and LIGHT BAR (probably a good idea)
LP Aventure CANISTER FILTER BYPASS (I might ford a river, and it's only $40)
WilcoOff Road HITCHGATE™ SOLO Standard Hi-Clearance (Not sure yet. I like my back up camera and sensors. But the full size spare is taking up precious space inside or up top.)
Awning (probably yes)

Let the adventures begin.

Thank you,
Darrin

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4152.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	421521  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:49 PM

Car: '18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
Looks good.

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else. - Yogi Berra
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:01 AM

Wow tricked out from the get go. One thing I always liked about my Subarus was that even plain jane boring stock they typically surprised the **** out of people who thought of them as random cheapie cars. My first adventure was during an epic snow storm in Tahoe we Skied till closing, then hung out till 10pm before our group headed back to the condo. 12 late 20 somethings 3 cars. I had the New Yorkers with me in my stock 5spd Legacy GT. Over a foot of snow covered the ski resort parking lot. The 2nd car was a Path finder then a Suburban. Oddly The Legacy GT cut the path out of the lot and 30 min later the condo complex was even deeper snow over the hood! The GT hardly noticed except I had to use the window wipers to move snow off the window that had ridden up over the hood!

Funny enough that trip long ago a couple of those guys own Subarus today they couldn’t believe that car could do that.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:16 AM

Car: 2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
Now all you need are some performance bushing for your sway bars to lock down that extra sprung, and un-sprung weight...

tdck's FrankenWagon
suspension - brakes - cooling - power
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb
Chassis & Suspension Bits
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Also XRT Tuned & Running Blind

CKE SSP product information and sales :
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring Deep Blue Pearl
Run Around Sue

Hi there. I just joined, and posted this elsewhere when I shoulda posted it here. Rookie mistake, sorry. Oh well, here it is again.

Just bought my first Subaru, a deep blue pearl 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring, and I just joined this forum. I'm looking forward to picking brains, reading others' adventures, and sharing. In the spirit of sharing, a little about Run Around Sue, I was gonna call her Hannah, as Hannah is spelled the same forwards or backwards, and I was sure this Outback was going to be able to get me there (wherever there might be) and then back again, but I digress. The 0% for 63 months was hard to resist, and, uh, well, I went a little crazy by getting the touring trim level (love the java leather) with the bigger engine (needed to schlep me, my friends and our gear up whatever), which already had some factory installed options (i.e., remote start, all weather floor mats, wheel arches, interior LED lighting). I then wanted some off-road equipment the parts department tracked down and installed. Here is the list of upgrades, and I hope the pic loaded.
LP Aventure 2" LIFT KIT LP Aventure BIG BUMPER GUARD LP Aventure FRONT PLATE FOR BIG BUMPER GUARD LP Aventure SKID PLATE secured with Rally Washers RALLY ARMOR MUD FLAPS RA-MF36-UR-BLK/GRY Thule Crossbar Set Thule Heavy-Duty Roof Cargo Basket Thule Bike Carrier - Hitch Mounted Method Race Wheels 502 Rally | Titanium 245/65R17 Terra Grappler G2 All-Terrain Light Truck Radial Tires CURT CLASS 2 TRAILER HITCH CURT CUSTOM WIRING CONNECTOR #56040 CURT 45785 Receiver Tube Adapter Primitive Racing Rear Diff Skid Plate (dealer threw this in) Severe Weather Kit (dealer threw this in) First Aid Kid (dealer threw this in) Sun Shade (dealer threw this in) Ceramic window tinting on all windows including windshield (driver's and passenger's windows tinted to match color of rear windows)

And here are some items I'm still considering LP Aventure FULL ARMOR OPTION to go on the big bumper guard (gotta do it) CUSCO REAR TOW HOOK (no brainer) LED LIGHTs and LIGHT BAR (probably a good idea) LP Aventure CANISTER FILTER BYPASS (I might ford a river, and it's only $40) WilcoOff Road HITCHGATE™️ SOLO Standard Hi-Clearance (Not sure yet. I like my back up camera and sensors. But the full size spare is taking up precious space inside or up top.) Awning (probably yes)

I’m interested in what others have to say about the Wilco Hitchgate Solo.

Let the adventures begin.

Thank you, Darrin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28FAFC09-63B8-42D7-8B36-9F18F4DD1C78_1524113323867.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	421609  

DG

2018 Outback 3.6R Touring
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:34 AM

I have the hitch gate. I used it on my Land Cruiser when I switched to 34in tires.

Its heavy!! Great gear but heavy. I use our OB like a truck nearly daily. Yesterday I was at my elder dads house, ladder, my rolling 80lb tool box and some other stuff. House projects. I have rentals so that same load is a common one to other locations. Next week my 4x6 trailer gets put into service to replace 28ft of wood fencing.

In June we switch to vacation mode 4 bikes, plus 4x6 trailer in tent trailer mode/camping gear hauling to Tahoe for 6days.

Number one problem is simply load rating tossing a tire frame on the hitch that weighs over 100lbs just to carry a tire is a huge hit to your gear hauling capacity.

I’ve done lots of adventures in the Subaru and my trucks. I will say this the subaru awd greatly reduces shredding a tire vs the dumb 4x4 my heavy truck has which can mangle heavy BFG KO2s easily.
On rugged terrain trips in the Subaru I pack a compressor and a quality plug kit. If I ever do crazy rocky super remote locations Ill pick up a full size spare and toss it in the back on the floor then pack gear on top.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
merged threads.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 04:45 PM

Looks like you got the class 2 hitch. Any reason you didn't go with the class3?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla View Post
Looks like you got the class 2 hitch. Any reason you didn't go with the class3?
towing section is right here,...lots of threads.

Towing - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

short answer though.

class two is correct and perfect for outback. plenty of attachments for it, vs. subarus OEM dinky class one.

_____

although some odd ball oubacks are out there with a off road full spare on one. if you want a

Class 3. see the new Ascent at a dealer near you. in any trim over base, it can tow 5000lbs. on its class 3 hitch.

2019 Subaru ASCENT - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 04:16 AM

Car: '18 2.5 Outback Limited
Go big or go home! VERY impressive first-ever Subbie.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: