'18 Magnetite Dad mobile - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2018 Limited 2.5i
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'18 Magnetite Dadwagon

After a lengthy.... lengthy 16 year run of owning nothing but jeeps, I purchased a '18 OB 2.5 limited in May 2018. after months and months of homework I decided on a Subaru based solely on reliability, gas mileage and the amount of space it had. being an SUV owner for several years, I knew I needed a decent amount of room and wanted all the creature comforts and then some I had in past '07 grand Cherokee. so we settled on the OB.

first shot in the driveway:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car1.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	432016  
Hoss_Ballsnapper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
performance wasn't as much of a requirement as was the gas mileage- filling up once a week opposed to 3 times a week when I owned a jeep. seeing 400+ to a tank initially was mind boggling to me. I was lucky to hit 350 a tank in a jeep, and the only way I'm hitting that is downhill with a tailwind. so the car was already exceeding my expectations in that aspect, I hear after that first oil change it just gets better so I'm excited to see that.

I knew I wasn't planning on going crazy with the mods- I bought the extended warranty so shes covered till 100k. so mods are going to be simple, within the first week of ownership I had:

- the front windows tinted to match the rears
- weathertech front and rear floor liners (the rears especially nice with having a toddler as it covers from door sill to door sill )
- Philips xtremevision LED fogs installed to match the LED headlights (pics below)
- Philips 921 Ultinon LED bulb in the rear hatch area to match the map lights (not pictured but matched perfect)
- Philips 194 bright white LED license plate bulbs
- Diode dynamics HP36 LED reverse bulbs to complete the LED swaps

no more signs of a holgen bulb anywhere on the car, it really cleans up the overall appearance at night with the LEDs. even the interior LEDs give it a much cleaner look in my opinion. also around this time I ditched the stock battery for an Exide group 24 battery from Home Depot, $94 out the door. reasoning behind doing so, strictly peace of mind. but I seriously think the OEM battery was taking a dump- I purchased a voltmeter that plugs into the cigarette lighter and noticed the cars voltage would drop below 12 to 11.9 on and off on my way home, it would go back up to 14 but then half the 1hr ride home from work it would dance around 12.3-11.9. after installing the exide, its rarely dipped below 14. so there was obviously something up with the OEM battery on my month old OB.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	432017   Click image for larger version

Name:	fogs2.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	432019  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
keeping the mods simple and subtle, I bit the bullet and installed the JDM grille. I feel like it really cleans up the front end- install took maybe an hr for this. plus its nice knowing my OB is slightly different that the other ones out there. overall, love the look- I can foresee myself sticking with the train of thought ive used when ive modded all my vehicles, OEM+. I love the look of a vehicle slightly modified but its subtle, like the way it should have come from the factory or should have been able to be optioned like from the factory.

that being said I'm not sure what mods will occur in the future. I know the factory tires need to go sooner than later, but I love the look of the 18s. I see some go with 17s for more tire size options but I think the 18s suit the car. I actually like the '17 OB wheels bs the '18 OB wheels. I do have an appt in the next couple weeks to have the vehicle coated and sealed using SB3 alpha- hardens/thickens up the clearcoat and has a 5yr warranty.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	grille.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	432021  
trfkcop likes this.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 09:01 AM

Car: 2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
that being said I'm not sure what mods will occur in the future.
Sway bar bushings ...

The grill looks good. I too understand wanting to be little unique in the look. A grill certainly does that.

tdck's FrankenWagon
suspension - brakes - cooling - power
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb
Chassis & Suspension Bits
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Also XRT Tuned & Running Blind

CKE SSP product information and sales :
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 09:39 AM

Car: 2016 2.5 outback limited
Have had mine for six weeks. kept it simple to start, Nameless muffler delete, ssd front strut bar and 20mm rsw. Im going to save up for Vent Visors and window tinting next. AT some point I will do a lift kit, rally bar with lights jdm grill and new wheels.

No Reserves
No Retreats
No Regrets
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb3tzt View Post
Have had mine for six weeks. kept it simple to start, Nameless muffler delete, ssd front strut bar and 20mm rsw. Im going to save up for Vent Visors and window tinting next. AT some point I will do a lift kit, rally bar with lights jdm grill and new wheels.
Id be curious how that muffler delete sounds. although at my old age(a whole 33 years LOL) I value the quiet ride of the '18, especially after seeing the progress they've apparently made in making this a quiet ride. ive had exhaust on all my jeeps and the drone wasn't terrible but after awhile I yearned for a quiet ride. but I'm still curious how that sounds lol
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 10:36 AM

Car: 2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
Id be curious how that muffler delete sounds. although at my old age(a whole 33 years LOL) I value the quiet ride of the '18, especially after seeing the progress they've apparently made in making this a quiet ride. ive had exhaust on all my jeeps and the drone wasn't terrible but after awhile I yearned for a quiet ride. but I'm still curious how that sounds lol
Loud enough where most people have to do sound proofing and end up removing them. Better to invest in some generic Magnaflows and have a shop to some custom adapt and tips.

But I'm almost 50. I made my own deletes on my 2005 XT just for a goof. They were not really loud, and even a slight rumble. But it made my car sound like a turbo blender.

tdck's FrankenWagon
suspension - brakes - cooling - power

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb
Chassis & Suspension Bits

Also XRT Tuned & Running Blind

CKE SSP product information and sales :
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
last week I ordered more LEDs for the OB. swapped the puddle lights with Philips 194 ultinon LEDs, the vanity lights in the visor with diode dynamic LEDs($12 for all 4, cant beat it) and I also swapped the Philips LED fogs I had with the diode dynamics thinking they would be brighter than the Philips. well I was wrong, the diode dynamics were only 10 lumens brighter than the Philips- 850 lumens vs 860 lumens. for $120+ didn't seem like a worthy mod so I am sending them back, thank you diode dynamics for being understanding. I'm thinking come fall ill swap in the yellow LED diode dynamic fogs for the late fall and winter weather.

pics for comparison, Philips on top/diode dynamics on the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LIGHTS.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	433031  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
rolled 4000mi yesterday, exactly 2 months of ownership as of yesterday. the only complaint is the seat comfort, after an hr of driving or so I find my ass starting to hurt a tad but other than that- no complaints. shes a great vehicle. I will say were I rest my elbow on the top of the door panel is either showing wear already or somethings on the panel itself- hopefully the detail shop can figure that out. if not I will be filing a warranty claim, how can a door panel show wear after 2 months of ownership???

tomorrow she goes to the shop for an sb3 alpha ceramic coating/detail on the exterior and an sb3 leather treatment for the inside. the outside comes with a 5yr warranty and the inside will have a 1 year warranty. I see how my son gets in and out of the back seat using the seat instead of the weathertech mat as a place for his feet when getting in and out so I figured a coating on the leather wouldn't be a bad idea. ill post pics of the final product Monday.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
had the ceramic coating done this weekend. dropped it off at a local detailer and 7hrs later I picked her up. I went with the sb3 alpha ceramic, comes with a 5 year warranty- which is perfect because ill probably be upgrading by then anyway. I also had them treat all leather surfaces with a sb3 protectant that they'll warranty for a year. ive noticed the boy using the backseat as a floor when getting in and out of the car- cmon kid I bought you weathertechs! anyways, the results were and are great. it rained yesterday, god forbid I have a detailed car stay weather free for 24hrs... went out afterwards with 2 microfibers to wipe the car down and all is well. the coating will reach its full hardness in 30days, cant wash it for a week and it couldn't get wet for 12hrs so thankfully the rain happened around the 20hr mark. still pissed... but heres the results

washes just got ALOT easier.. since I had a foam cannon from Chemical Guys, I can just foam it and rinse and all is good.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	433207  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in