My Wagons Progression. Instagram: the_welfare_wagon - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By the_welfare_wagon
  • 1 Post By traildogck

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i with 2 inch lift and 235/75/15 Falken Wildpeaks AT3W
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My Wagons Progression. Instagram: the_welfare_wagon

Hello All,

It's been awhile since I posted so I wanted to share the progress. I have made as well as modifications I have made to my car. Below is a list of things that I can think of offhand:

2 Inch Front lift(Soon to be 2.75), 1.5 Inch Rear lift(soon to be 2.5)
.5 Inch lifted rallitek overload springs
Mevotech front control arms
Godspeed rear control arms
235/75/15 Falken Wildpeaks AT3W(previously 225/65/17 KO2s on sparco terras)
15x7 5x127 JEGS D window steelies
Roof-basket with full size spare
Front 36" light bar with 4 pods and rear single row 31" led bar
Custom rear window cages
Boss BV960NV radio
Custom 3/16 Aluminum skid plate
Rallitek Transmission skid plate

So its been a busy time. My current project is getting the 235/75/15 Wildpeaks to fit nicely. The rear pinch weld is proving to be an issue but they fit nicely otherwise. The 15 inch rims fit without issues, no caliper mods required. Possibly because its a 5x127 bolt pattern(Jeep) but i'm not educated enough on that topic to be a reliable source so that's just my guess.

In the past 1.5 years or so I've put about 45k on the car and about 16k of that is road-trip miles, meaning i've got plenty of adventures as well as a fair share of offroading.

Before I go into the roadtrips I have wanted to give my own opinion on the off road abilities of this car, mine being a 2.5i Auto. It's pretty **** good for what it is. The most limiting factor of this car is its horrible amount of suspension travel. If the sway bars are disconnected it gives an acceptable amount of travel but you are not going to compete with a solid axles travel. I have been stuck about 5 or 6 times and all have been because I ran out of travel and 2 wheels come off the ground. You can avoid this issue with momentum however from a stand still the rear LSD does NOT have the grunt to get the car moving. It turns into an open diff. That being said this car continues to impress me with what it can do. It took 3 wranglers on 35x12.5 inch tires 3 attempts to get up a sandy hill, as well as 3 attempts for one on 37x14.5 inch tires(Shown on my Instagram page). It only took me one attempt. So I was quite pleased with my OB. It was even better when I learned 2 of the jeeps were fully locked as well. Overall I am quite pleased with my Outbacks performance and it continues to impress me when it does things I didn't think a Subaru could do. If I had to buy another 3rd gen i would go with an optioned out Flat 6. The 2.5 leaves much to be desired in terms of performance.

Now onto my road trips. I have taken this car to Vermont 3 times now and provincetown as well as countless Upstate, NY camping excursions. The OB handles exceedingly well on the road. In My current state I can whip it around some off-ramps faster than some sedans are willing to do. That being said it is a PITA to drive in wind. The thing is a massive wind sail but is controllable, but the constant lane corrections take their toll and eventually tire you out. As far as the ride it is pretty smooth. When its not windy a 6 hour or so drive is not uncomfortable and is quite enjoyable. (I assume that most of my wind issue comes from my roof basket. It it loaded with my spare, a gas can as well as a water jug. Taking that off may solve this issue) My Outback has in my mind become the ultimate do it all car. It can handle long road trips with no issue and will get me down just about any trail I attempt to do. While something Like a jeep or 4runner/Tacoma is better off road, the outback dominates pavement. In my current state I get 24 MPG highway and 18 to 21 average. Roughly 250 Out of a tank with about 6 or so gallons of fuel to spare.( I generally take only 12 gallons out of the tanks 17 when I fill up). If you have any questions feel free to ask, everything done to this car has been done by me so I have a decent knowledge of working on 3rd gens

I have Included pictures of my many adventures below with more to come! My Instagram is @the_welfare_wagon

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0061-2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	4.19 MB
ID:	448803   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0045.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	4.13 MB
ID:	448805   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0971.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	448807   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC1050.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	7.54 MB
ID:	448809   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0934.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	448811  

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0069-2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	5.26 MB
ID:	448813   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190221_151143.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	7.83 MB
ID:	448815   Click image for larger version

Name:	LRM_EXPORT_268146528297598_20190329_114355086.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	4.12 MB
ID:	448817   Click image for larger version

Name:	LRM_EXPORT_268229445109546_20190329_114518003.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	5.37 MB
ID:	448819   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0342.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	448821  

Wiscoutback87 and ELCID86 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:44 PM

Car: 2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger512 View Post
That being said it is a PITA to drive in wind. The thing is a massive wind sail but is controllable, but the constant lane corrections take their toll and eventually tire you out. As far as the ride it is pretty smooth.
I can help with that. Get yourself some of my (CKE SSP) front and rear sway bar bushing upgrade kits as well as some light duty rear sway bar mount reinforcement brackets.

Reducing some of the flex in the stock blade mounts will help.

BTW, the car looks great.

patrikman likes this.

tdck's FrankenWagon
suspension - brakes - cooling - power
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb
Chassis & Suspension Bits
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Also XRT Tuned & Running Blind

CKE SSP product information and sales :
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:52 AM

Car: Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
Garage
Thumbs up

Added you on Instagram

My other Subarus are Subarus.

You'll have to pry my frameless windows from my cold dead hands.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wagon & a 2.5 Limited Sedan
nice pics there

and @traildogck forgot to add a link,...years of experience being abused in a lifted Jeep Cherokee sport produced fixes for subarus:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...k-cke-ssp.html

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Car: '17 3.6 Limited
Welcome aboard!

I'm glad you picked the correct color for your outback.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:52 AM

Car: 2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
nice pics there

and @traildogck forgot to add a link,...years of experience being abused in a lifted Jeep Cherokee sport produced fixes for subarus:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...k-cke-ssp.html
I usually like to plant the seed and see if any interest grows. Otherwise I just feel like a capitalist shill jumping on someone as soon as they join. I figure, if my comment strikes a cord, it will strike a return comment. It is a nice looking build. I like it when anyone does all of the their own work. Even though some things can be so d*mn frustrating, its rewarding. Thanks again for sharing.

Wait are you saying the XJ abused me? Or that I abused it? I think that 18 year relationship was reciprocal.

tdck's FrankenWagon
suspension - brakes - cooling - power

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb
Chassis & Suspension Bits

Also XRT Tuned & Running Blind

CKE SSP product information and sales :
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wagon & a 2.5 Limited Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by traildogck View Post

Wait are you saying the XJ abused me? Or that I abused it? I think that 18 year relationship was reciprocal.
like "being thrown down a flight of concrete steps"...as @rasterman put it.

I hope someone nabbed all your good lift kit stuff off that at the pick and pull.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 04:41 PM

Car: 2013 outback limited
Very nice, thanks for sharing.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:24 PM

Car: 2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
Garage
I love the color of your Outback it looks sharp. If I were to ever repaint ours that's what color it would be. Also jealous of all your trips to Vermont its been way too long since my wife and I were there. We loved it out there so much along with upstate NY NH and Maine. I really want to get out on a trip there soon. I follow you on Instagram and always enjoy your updates there!

2014 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:28 PM

Car: 2010 Outback 2.5i
Agreed on the performance of the 2.5i on the 4th gens as well. Did they make 3.6R's in manual? Anyone tried swapping out the 2.5 for 3.6?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: