Cleaning Ivory leather seats - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2015 Crystal White Pearl Outback 2.5I Limited, black leather interior. Beautiful. With eyesight and all the goodies. Factory hitch. My second OB.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cleaning Ivory leather seats

With 12 k miles i have noticed that my drivers leather light ivory seat has a wide streak of soil right by what would be ones belt line. Its weird because i wear t shirts and there is no contact with anything dark, like a black belt. So i have tried a bristle brush and leather cleaner to no avail.

Light ivory interior probably was not such a good choice but thats all that was avauilable on my 2011 Ruby Red pearl OB.

Any suggestions?? Besides using a seat cover. Anyone think its a warrenty issue?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 05:08 PM

Car: 2005 Outback XT Ltd
Send a message via AIM to dlo13 Send a message via Skype™ to dlo13
what leather cleaner are you using?

2005 Outback 2.5 XT Limited
Silver w/ Black interior
Purchased March 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 06:37 PM

I've used Lexol to clean and condition my seats. Unforunately the Lexol leather cleaner seems to be taking the dye off too. Let me know what you are using.

'12 Outback Limited 2.5i, Cypress Green Pearl, sunroof, illumination package #2, rear bumper guard, puddle lights, mudflaps, no nav
'10 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4X2 long bed
'86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, restored, original, LS3
'14 Harley Davidson FXDC
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I've used Lexol to clean and condition my seats. Unforunately the Lexol leather cleaner seems to be taking the dye off too. Let me know what you are using.
I did a test area and found the same thing. Though couldn't quite make out if it was pulling the color off or doing something else to it? I use the heavy cream type stuff less of a cleaner and more of a conditioner once a year. And have switched to a very light misting of cheapo Armerall on a clean soft rag then simply wipe them down. Two kids every time I do that the rag comes up filthy funny the seats didn't look that bad! but they clean up fine.

My take was that Lexol had something in it that was a little more harsh than just some generic oils.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 09:05 PM

Car: 2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
Assuming your leather has sufficient moisure and isn't dried out a warm damp sponge wipped on the seats followed by a dry cloth towel is all you need. If your seats have dried out you need to hydrate them with whatever good leather conditioner you prefer. I have not found any one much better than the others. Some conditioners will cause streaking.
I hydrate the seats- let them sit in the sun- wipe off any excess that doesn't soak in and then use the sponge.
The conditioner helps bring the dirt and crude to the top of the leather allowing removal with a damp cloth.
At least that is how I have done it on my BMWs for the last 15 years. Assuming these seats are similar it should work.

I am interested in how others clean their Outback seats since mine are Warm Ivory Leather too...
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 10:39 PM

Car: '14 3.6R Outback
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Assuming your leather has sufficient moisure and isn't dried out a warm damp sponge wipped on the seats followed by a dry cloth towel is all you need. If your seats have dried out you need to hydrate them with whatever good leather conditioner you prefer. I have not found any one much better than the others. Some conditioners will cause streaking.
I hydrate the seats- let them sit in the sun- wipe off any excess that doesn't soak in and then use the sponge.
The conditioner helps bring the dirt and crude to the top of the leather allowing removal with a damp cloth.
At least that is how I have done it on my BMWs for the last 15 years. Assuming these seats are similar it should work.

I am interested in how others clean their Outback seats since mine are Warm Ivory Leather too...
You speak the truth Brother!

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...aring-off.html
https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...condition.html

-Dave

Common sense, isn't common.

Current: '14 3.6R
past '12 2.5L OB
'15 FXT
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 PM

A lot of professional leather cleaners use a little bit of ivory and some warm water.... Followed by a clean damp rag, followed by another clean damp rag and then a dry one...

by a lot of companies i mean of the 5 times my parents had our Pink (love the early 90s) leather sofa cleaned, by all different companies, they did it the same way.....

Silver w/ Black interior
Purchased March 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 09:49 AM

Car: 2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlo13 View Post
A lot of professional leather cleaners use a little bit of ivory and some warm water.... Followed by a clean damp rag, followed by another clean damp rag and then a dry one.....
Sounds like a good method . . but what Ivory product do they use . . . bar soap, laundry detergent, liquid . . or does it make any difference as long as it's an Ivory product.

I have the ivory leather seats and after 13,500 miles and 14 months they still look new but will use your suggestion to help keep them that way.

2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight/Tungsten
Port Installed Options - Remote Start, Ext. Auto-Dimming Mirrors, Rear Bumper Cover
Self Installed Options - Splash Guards, Wheel Locks, WeatherTech Floor Liners F&R. Body Side Molding, Seat Back Protector, Side Nets

Previous Subaru - 2011 Outback Limited
1993 SAAB 900S Convertible w/31,000 miles
2004 Kubota RTV900

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 11:47 AM

Ivory dish soap. Classic
perfume free.
ActualReverend and Nav like this.

Silver w/ Black interior
Purchased March 2012

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 02:14 PM

Car: '13 Ouback 3.6 limited
Cleaned my V-dub before I sold it with Lexol and it literally made my some of my finger nails fall off. The chemical is entirely to strong for regular use. When I used to clean airplanes all we used on light colored leather was mild soap and hot water. A conditioner could be applied after but the actual cleaning process was with plain mild soap. The hot water did a remarkable job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: