Timing Belt kit and other questions - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2011 Outback Limited 2.5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Timing Belt kit and other questions

Hi, recently purchased my first Subaru. A 2011 Outback Limited 2.5L. It had a 100,000km when purchased in Jan. of this year. So far I have been very impressed with it, I've put about 5,000km on it and mileage is very good and am relieved that it has not used any oil at all.
I used the great tutorial found on this forum to change the CVT fluid ( just changed it once so have actually only changed about half of it but will do again in next few weeks to make about 75%) Noticed the cvt is now quieter than it was and when stopped and changing gears, it responds to changes faster.
The dealer had obviously cleaned the engine compartment but I have noticed that inside the main fuse box under the hood there was quite a bit of dirt and dust. Also, I have changed the cabin air filter as it was really clogged with dust and leaves etc and looked like it might have been the original and leading me to conclude that the previous owner of this car likely used it on a lot of dusty roads.
I live in S. Ontario, Canada and on some really cold winter morning start-ups I did get some high pitched squeals and other similar noises that were not from the fan belt.
It still is quite noisy and I suspect the likely culprit(s) are timing belt tensioner, idlers and possibly water pump.
I'm getting ready to order these parts and have some questions about ordering correctly. On the Rock Auto site, when looking under the 2011 Outback 2.5L H4 timing belt kit listings for the Gates TCK304 kit there is a line there saying "VIN 4th Digit G; Interference engine application" The 4th digit of my cars vin is a "B" which if I understand things correctly means it is an Legacy/Outback whereas the "G" refers to an Impreza. Does this just mean it fits my Outback and also the Impreza or just the Impreza? I have also been on Amazon and they have the same Gates TCK304 kit (cheaper too) and their site tells me it does fit my Outback. Does anyone know if this kit is a match.

Also, is it normal for the electric cooling fans to come on very frequently on this car? I do know that when A/C is on it causes one o f the fans to cycle frequently but with A/C off they seem to come on almost immediately after the cool engine light goes out on dash.

Sorry for the long winded post and thank you in advance for any assistance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 04:58 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
squeal is probably accessory belt related, accessory belt tensioner or pulley related - idler, alternator pulley/bearing.

not likely to be timing belt related.
almost impossible to be water pump related.

get the Gates kits on amazon. it should verify fitment for you. 2.5 liter engines in the legacy and impreza are often the same engines, actually they're basically always the same engines they just may change one model sooner than another - so if they show both it isn't a surprise. even 2.2 impreza and 2.5 liter outback engine timing belts are the same in the early 2000's.

use a Subaru OEM water pump gasket, the aftermarkets are often cardboard, less robust, and prone to leak.

H6 OBW VDC, H6 OB Sedan, Tribeca, Lifted XT6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: