Thule crossbars for 2019 Outback Touring? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2019 White Outback 3.6 Touring
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thule crossbars for 2019 Outback Touring?

Hi all, I'm purchasing a 2019 Outback 3.6 w/Touring Trim, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy the Thule cross bars? I believe the MSRP is $460, or $926 for popular package 3A. Is it cheaper to buy the Thule cross bars someplace else? Do you have to use Thule cross bars, or has anyone used another brand that they prefer?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 05:34 PM

Car: 2018 outback 2.5 touring
i got a 20 percent off parts e mail from Subaru for my 2018 outback touring. going to get body color side moldings

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 05:55 PM

Won’t you have the built in cross bars that you can use?

*bone stock* 2017 3.6R Outback
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2019 White Outback 3.6 Touring
Touring trim does not come with built in cross bards, only comes with rails.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 10:03 PM

Car: 2019 Outback Premium 2.5
I just bought Yakima corebars for my touring rails. I checked both etrailer and rackatack to compare Thule and Yakima. According to those websites, Yakima corebars are rated for 165 lbs and Thule were rated for 110 lbs. Although I like the look of the Thule more, I opted for the higher weight rating of the Yakima.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 10:35 PM

Car: Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
Garage
Let me get this straight, the 2018 Touring has rails, but no stowable cross bars?
I'm so glad I got a Gen5 in 2015...

Stultus est sicut stultus facit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are Three kinds of people. Those who can count, and those who can't...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:08 AM

Car: 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott thomas View Post
Hi all, I'm purchasing a 2019 Outback 3.6 w/Touring Trim, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy the Thule cross bars? I believe the MSRP is $460, or $926 for popular package 3A. Is it cheaper to buy the Thule cross bars someplace else? Do you have to use Thule cross bars, or has anyone used another brand that they prefer?

Thanks for any thoughts!

I looked around on Craig List here in Denver and found a brand new in box for $300. i would never spend msrp on these, look around for a slightly used and you should get a great deal.

2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:58 AM

Car: 2017 Outback Premium, silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyOutback View Post
Let me get this straight, the 2018 Touring has rails, but no stowable cross bars?
I'm so glad I got a Gen5 in 2015...
Yes, but the stowable cross bars generate a love/hate attitude with a lot of Subie owners. They are narrower in width than a set of Yakima's or Thule's, which typically might be 50" wide (but can be had in 43" to 78" in a Thule). The OB's with stowaway's have only 39" of width, which folks using boats, or a box and a bike, find too narrow. The Touring OB Thule bar is 48" wide, so some usefulness.

As well and with the non-touring OB's, the F/R rails that contain the stowable bars are a PITA to add a set of after-market bars. The Yakima system is the best of the bunch, but to adapt the lower level OB's to an aftermarket rack is expensive, thus there have been many threads here about how to convert a plain vanilla OB to the touring rails.

Lives on Long Island, NY
Works in Brooklyn, NY
Avid cyclist.

Past:
'01 Forester
'03 Outback
'11 Forester

Current:
'11 Impreza Outback Sport
'17 Outback Premium
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:06 AM

Car: 2017 Outback Premium, silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott thomas View Post

Thanks for any thoughts!
Yakima sells the Ridgeline system for the touring OB. 2 - 50" roof rails, the install kit and locks seem to be in the mid $400's.

Rack Attack has a Thule set, bars-fit kit-locks, for about the same price.

Lives on Long Island, NY
Works in Brooklyn, NY
Avid cyclist.

Past:
'01 Forester
'03 Outback
'11 Forester

Current:
'11 Impreza Outback Sport
'17 Outback Premium
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:17 AM

Car: 2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
If you're negotiating from invoice, the net cost of the Thule bars in pop pack 3A is actually pretty good (assuming you want the rest of the package), especially if it's already included in a car you want on a dealer lot (my case).

If I were custom ordering now, I'd probably go with the Yakima Jetstream bars (they didn't have the fit kit out when I bought mine, either). My Thule's have a high-pitched whistle I can't track, and the Yakima gives you angle adjustment on the mounts and slightly wider bars (50/60/70" for Yak vs 47/53/60 for Thule) - I have the ARB47s and could use the 50 without bumping into them. 53" might induce extra head injuries. Yakima's implementation of the t-track filler is better, too, since you don't have to cut it.

In any event, you're looking at a few hundred $ diff on a ~$37k car, so you might want to test them both to see if one is noisier or better sized for your applications.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: