bike rack for oem hitch - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bike rack for oem hitch

I saw from an old forum that Kuat NV racks will work well for OEM trailer hitch. (trying to avoid any issues - read some problem with pin hole too close to receiver or something like that)

Kuat NV 2.0
Kuat Sherpa 2.0

any thoughts? what will work well with OEM hitch?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

https://www.etrailer.com/question-139218.html

"If you hitch is an OEM type from Subaru you may need to use a Yakima carrier instead. These OEM hitches have their hitch pin hole placed very near the end of the receiver tube and some racks will not work. If you have an OEM hitch I suggest instead the Yakima HoldUp 2 Bike Rack # Y02445, which includes locks."

I am wondering if I should just go with U-haul instead of OEM route

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:37 AM

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5i 6MT
That discussion on etrailer that you linked is referring to a Class 2 1.25" OEM-style hitch. However, all the bolt-on OEM-style hitches are Class 3 with 2" receivers. (except for the EcoHitch ones. Why?)

So your concern may not be applicable if you just get one of the Class 3 Curt/Draw-tite/U-haul hitches? Curt and Draw-tite offer Class 3's in both styles (bolt-on or drill-from-underneath).

Based on my research on trailer hitches for my 12 Outback:

The OEM-style hitch bolts on to the frame. No drilling required. It is recommended by SOA because the hitch aligns well with the crumple zones designed into the frame.

But, the OEM-style hitch takes more time to install. It requires that you remove the rear bumper fascia, and that you trim a spot in the bottom of the fascia for the hitch to protrude. The OEM-style hitch is a little more expensive than the other options that bolt into the frame from underneath.

The other trailer hitch options bolt into the frame rails from underneath, and require drilling two big holes into the rails (to feed the bolts in). But, the hitch covers these holes once installed, and takes a lot less time to install. This style of hitch is cheaper than the OEM-style.

I ended up choosing the Draw-Tite class 3 hitch from eTrailer. It was the cheapest option at $138. No problems with the spacing of the pin-holes.
And the trailer wiring kits they sell are super-easy to install; they click right in to a factory connector.
All told I spent less than $200 and less than 2 hours to install. I used a floor jack, some jack stands, and a helper to assist the install; lifting the hitch into place is a bear.

Most bike rack manufacturers offer both 1.25" and 2" capability. Many are just a 1.25" receiver with a wedge block to fit into a 2". I prefer that design--if the wedge block is adjustable. That way you can turn a bolt and expand the wedge, making the bike rack very secure into the receiver (keeping the rack from wobbling all over the place on the highway).
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:39 AM

Car: 2019 Outback Touring 3.6R
I highly recommend the 1Up rack for use with any of the hitches, 1.25” or 2”. Great rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthopton View Post
I highly recommend the 1Up rack for use with any of the hitches, 1.25” or 2”. Great rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 for 1UP USA racks. Well made in the USA. Their quality is worth the cost difference, but they are pricey for a rack for 2 or more bikes.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:14 AM

I don't have an OEM hitch... but can you just drill another hole farther to the front if the factory pin hole is too far back?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1BadBird View Post
I don't have an OEM hitch... but can you just drill another hole farther to the front if the factory pin hole is too far back?
Probably. But it would be tough for the average owner to do. You'd probably go through a couple bits with a hand drill, and you'd have a hard time getting the alignment just right.

Those holes are probably made with a drill press, with liquid lube, before the tubes are welded together.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

any opinions on U Haul hitch?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:15 AM

Car: 2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooo View Post
https://www.etrailer.com/question-139218.html

"If you hitch is an OEM type from Subaru you may need to use a Yakima carrier instead. These OEM hitches have their hitch pin hole placed very near the end of the receiver tube and some racks will not work. If you have an OEM hitch I suggest instead the Yakima HoldUp 2 Bike Rack # Y02445, which includes locks."

I am wondering if I should just go with U-haul instead of OEM route
that same article also concludes with this paragraph:

"A great choice for your car is Kuat's NV 2 Bike Platform Rack # NV12G. This rack provides lots of clearance for the car (7-7/8-inches when folded up) and it includes excellent features like built-in locks for the rack itself and for your bikes, corrosion-free aluminum construction and a built-in bike repair stand. The linked video will illustrate this great rack's features and design."

most of the statements on etrailer mention the pin hole depth as measured from the opening of the receiver area on the Subaru OEM hitch. It's almost exactly 1" to the center of the hole.

The Kuat NV whatever has an extra 1 5/8" or so past the pin hole on the rack foot. This is good for receivers that don't have much depth. Total installed length of the foot is just a hair over 2 5/8".

The Yakima racks require 2 7/8" or so behind the hitch pin, so they sit about 3 7/8" deep when installed in the OEM hitch (I think - going from pictures and Yakima's rack fitment tips sheet, not personal experience).

Here are pictures of the Kuat NV 2.0 foot with tape placed representing how far the foot inserts into the OEM hitch receiver. One pic you can see that the tape to the center of the hitch pin hole is 1"... the other 1 5/8" are past the pin hole.

Works fine. Plenty of clearance folded up.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, I'm lazy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6787.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	450239   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6786.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	450241   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6785.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	450243  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker View Post
that same article also concludes with this paragraph:

"A great choice for your car is Kuat's NV 2 Bike Platform Rack # NV12G. This rack provides lots of clearance for the car (7-7/8-inches when folded up) and it includes excellent features like built-in locks for the rack itself and for your bikes, corrosion-free aluminum construction and a built-in bike repair stand. The linked video will illustrate this great rack's features and design."

most of the statements on etrailer mention the pin hole depth as measured from the opening of the receiver area on the Subaru OEM hitch. It's almost exactly 1" to the center of the hole.

The Kuat NV whatever has an extra 1 5/8" or so past the pin hole on the rack foot. This is good for receivers that don't have much depth. Total installed length of the foot is just a hair over 2 5/8".

The Yakima racks require 2 7/8" or so behind the hitch pin, so they sit about 3 7/8" deep when installed in the OEM hitch (I think - going from pictures and Yakima's rack fitment tips sheet, not personal experience).

Here are pictures of the Kuat NV 2.0 foot with tape placed representing how far the foot inserts into the OEM hitch receiver. One pic you can see that the tape to the center of the hitch pin hole is 1"... the other 1 5/8" are past the pin hole.

Works fine. Plenty of clearance folded up.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, I'm lazy.
Thanks for the pictures and information. I believe etrailer is referring to non-oem hitch when it recommends Kuat NV bike rack later in the paragraph. Is this with Subaru OEM hitch?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: