Torklift install & installation instructions - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Car: '13 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight/Nav/Moonroof, Graphite Gray Metallic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Torklift install & installation instructions

I installed the Torklift Eco Hitch on my 2013 Outback yesterday. I ended up going through the access holes in the spare tire area and everything went smoothly. One note: instead of cutting a 6"x6" piece from the underside of the bumper, I cut a section 4.5" wide x 6" deep. This was enough to clear the hitch receiver, and then I cut two small notches to allow clearance of the vertical part of the receiver (see the picture).

Also, I scanned in the installation instructions if anyone wants to take a look.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Notches in the bumper.jpg
Views:	2271
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	29962  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 06:47 PM

Car: '13 Outback Premium 6MT
Thanks for the tips. Is there anywhere besides the Mfg website to buy the torklift? I'm weighing the options and like the look of these.

Do you have any other pics of the finished installation?

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Car: '13 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight/Nav/Moonroof, Graphite Gray Metallic
I believe the only place to purchase it is from the manufacturer: Torklift Central Stealth 2" Subaru Outback Trailer Hitch No Drill | Torklift Central

I didn't take any other pictures of the installation because the manufacturer's instructions were actually pretty good, the install went pretty much "by the book", and because there are so many other pictures and information available online for the Torklift and for the other common hitches. Here are some I have found...

Subaru Outback Hitch Install | DigitalNigel

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...tml#post425341

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...r-outback.html

Steve
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 11:43 PM

Well - 3 hours later I installed my Torklift hitch. I chose not to remove the bumper, but I'm not sure if it would have been any quicker with the removal and installation.
The toughest parts of the install were replacing the muffler, snaking the bolts and placing the hitch on the frame - its heavy! This would be easier without the bumper - but we got it done. The hitch looks great and now that its done I'm glad I took the extra effort to get the Torklift.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 03:27 PM

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5, Ice Silver Metallic.
Until someone makes one for the Outback this should give the general idea. Makes me a lot more comfortable to attempt this myself.

Rear Bumper Removal on a 2011 STi - YouTube
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 08:45 PM

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
I also installed the torklift on my 13 this week. I chose to go thru the spare tire as wel to avoid the wheel arch moldings. I followed the instructions but notices that when i removed the other tape covered holes they were directly over the rear holes. In theory i could have drilled four .5" holes and dropped hardware in and wrenched top an bottom. Love the hidden look of this hitch!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 07:20 PM

Car: '16 Legacy Ltd 3.6R and '12 OB Prem, 2.5, CVT, Moonroof, 440W Sound System (not impressed),Yakima 16S Skybox, and a cool roof mounted raygun (cloaking device active) Kept the '00 Camry w/190K, Traded '01 Civic 5 spd w/70K - Crazy, huh?
Link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve66 View Post
I installed the Torklift Eco Hitch on my 2013 Outback yesterday. I ended up going through the access holes in the spare tire area and everything went smoothly. One note: instead of cutting a 6"x6" piece from the underside of the bumper, I cut a section 4.5" wide x 6" deep. This was enough to clear the hitch receiver, and then I cut two small notches to allow clearance of the vertical part of the receiver (see the picture).

Also, I scanned in the installation instructions if anyone wants to take a look.
Clicked "installation instructions" and it went to File Dropper.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 11:47 AM

EcoHitch Sale

For anyone interested, all Subaru EcoHitches are $25 off until October 31st. For more information you can visit Subaru EcoHitch Sale
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 04:41 PM

Car: 2015 2.5i Outback Ltd
Someone wrote a good write up on an install with a 2012: https://digitalnigel.com/wordpress/?p=1179

88 GL Wagon
87 GL-10 Wagon
97 Outback
02 Legacy Wagon (wife's)
15 2.5i Outback Limited
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 06:25 PM

Installed the Torklift on my 2014 Outback
I went through the holes up top that were taped over. I enlarged them and was able to get it all done with just enlarging those two holes.
I am impresses with how well the hitch is hidden under the car. I got the 2" receiver and used the hitch for carrying a rack on the back. I have a truck with camper mounts made by them and they are just as impressive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: