Clutch Chatter leading to clunk in rear passenger area. - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2000 OBS 2.2L
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Clutch Chatter leading to clunk in rear passenger area.

I'm having some trouble with MT2000 OBS (2.2L). It has 97K Miles.

I have some clutch chatter. When I down shift if I don't release the clutch fast enough it chatters and the rear end seems to be effected by the chatter. That has been there since I got the car in August. The TOB is whining and I know that the Clutch and TOB need to replaced and I plan on doing so when the weather get a bit warmer. I am also planning on replacing the Diff Fliuids when I do the clutch.

The car was dealer serviced for the life of the car prior to me owning it. Last service was the 60K.

Now yesterday I was driving and I heard a faint clunking in what sounds like the rear passenger wheel well. This morning it was much worse. The sound comes when I press the clutch in and when I release the clutch. It's more prominent when the clutch is engaging (release).

When the clutch chatter the noise is terrible, and it can also be faintly heard while driving over rough roads.

Is the clunking the clutch being projected to the rear of the car though the drive shaft, or do you guys think that the rear diff / axles are damaged from all the chatter and that load being 'pulsed' on the splines?

Could it just be a loose sway bar?

I have not even looked under the car. I will be looking after work tonight but figured that I'd ask you guys before I got dirty.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: