Basic noise-diagnostic questions - Page 29 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
post #281 of 284 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 03:24 PM

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
@dobotm

Have you had it scanned for stored error codes?
When was the fluid replaced last? Have you considered dropping the pan and replacing the filter?
Have you checked the mounts, front, side and rear?

If it was the torque converter, you'd get shudder on take off and downshifts. You may also feel a shudder as the TCM tries to apply the torque converter clutch after the car starts moving, about 2nd ratio.

If it's the lock up duty solenoid then you wouldn't have AWD, VDC, traction control, and most of the lights on the dash would be lit up. Same with any solenoid issue, the computer would pick up on it. If it's solenoid related, then that would require a valve body replacement.

Since you have all these miles on it, it may be something simple and fairly easy to rectify. If it is the transmission, used ones can be found relatively inexpensive. Down here in Austin I can get them for about $400 with a torque converter. Any one going this route should be sure the fluid system is clean on the car and have new fluid ready to go in, and maybe a relearn.

No one on this forum or otherwise can tell you when/if/how the transmission will fail. It's impossible to determine based on a single post. IF you have codes from the TCM or verify that you've checked physical parts external to the transmission, then it would be a little more toward a good estimation of what's happening and the lifespan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 284 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:50 PM

Car: 2011 Legacy 2.5i Prem. 6mt; 2008 H-D Sportster 883
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Better throw my hat in the ring. 2011 Legacy 6mt. I don't think my problem is legacy or outback specific. Car is making what I would describe as a scraping or grinding noise:

A. When does the sound happen?

In low gears under brisk acceleration. Almost always 1st gear, usually 2nd, sometimes 3rd if I'm gunning it up a highway on-ramp or something. I can also get it to occur if I'm barely creeping backwards and begin to take off even under light throttle. Sound seems to happen between 1500-3000 rpm. There is no noise on deceleration.

B. Where does the sound come from?

Definitely in front of me, but I can't tell if it's on the left side or more towards the center of the car.

C. Does the sound vary with some condition?

Seems more dependent on engine speed, since I can get it to happen under clutch slippage. Gets more frequent as the car/air warms up, but it will still happen in the cold. As far as I can tell, the noise isn't dependent on wheel direction (doesn't get better/worse if I'm turning the steering wheel).

D. Is there a vibration associated with the noise?

Maybe slightly through the body, but not through the wheel, pedals, or gear lever

E. Does it affect drive-ability? how?

Not noticed.

If it matters, I believe my car also has a bad viscous coupling, as I get pretty severe binding during tight parking lot turns after the car is warmed up.

post #283 of 284 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:04 AM

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by msandli View Post
Better throw my hat in the ring. 2011 Legacy 6mt. I don't think my problem is legacy or outback specific. Car is making what I would describe as a scraping or grinding noise:

A. When does the sound happen?

In low gears under brisk acceleration. Almost always 1st gear, usually 2nd, sometimes 3rd if I'm gunning it up a highway on-ramp or something. I can also get it to occur if I'm barely creeping backwards and begin to take off even under light throttle. Sound seems to happen between 1500-3000 rpm. There is no noise on deceleration.

B. Where does the sound come from?

Definitely in front of me, but I can't tell if it's on the left side or more towards the center of the car.

C. Does the sound vary with some condition?

Seems more dependent on engine speed, since I can get it to happen under clutch slippage. Gets more frequent as the car/air warms up, but it will still happen in the cold. As far as I can tell, the noise isn't dependent on wheel direction (doesn't get better/worse if I'm turning the steering wheel).

D. Is there a vibration associated with the noise?

Maybe slightly through the body, but not through the wheel, pedals, or gear lever

E. Does it affect drive-ability? how?

Not noticed.

If it matters, I believe my car also has a bad viscous coupling, as I get pretty severe binding during tight parking lot turns after the car is warmed up.
How old is the clutch?
What is the condition of your Diff fluid?
Have you checked the CV axles? Bearings?
The viscous coupler could be the source of the noise.
Is the noise loud enough to get a recording on video or otherwise?

post #284 of 284 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:15 PM

Car: 2011 Legacy 2.5i Prem. 6mt; 2008 H-D Sportster 883
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoc View Post
How old is the clutch?
What is the condition of your Diff fluid?
Have you checked the CV axles? Bearings?
The viscous coupler could be the source of the noise.
Is the noise loud enough to get a recording on video or otherwise?
I've only had this car about 3 months. I was test driving it during cold weather, and the car couldn't get warmed up enough for any of these symptoms to appear before I bought it. While it otherwise appears in pretty good shape, I'm assuming that the clutch, front driver's side CV joint, and other major mechanical pieces are original (FP CV joint has been replaced at some point). I don't know the condition of any of the fluids, but I'm about to go through and change them all.

If I can get a decent sound recording of the noise, I'll definitely post it.
cardoc likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: