Driver Side rear view mirror vibrates - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gbhrps

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Driver Side rear view mirror vibrates

Has anyone came across this issue...2018 Outback driver side rear view mirror vibrates/shakes at 65 and above mph making the image unclear.
The vibration is minor and hard to notice. The only issue is the image through the mirror kind of irritates the view.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:06 PM

Possibly the mirror it self came loose slightly . It is held in by some pressure clips. Should snap back into place with nominal amount of Pressure.

Happened to me on my 2017 outback .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith5859 View Post
Has anyone came across this issue...2018 Outback driver side rear view mirror vibrates/shakes at 65 and above mph making the image unclear.
The vibration is minor and hard to notice. The only issue is the image through the mirror kind of irritates the view.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 07:51 PM

Car: 2017 OutBack Premier
ranjith5859,

What Midas is referring to, is that the mirror glass is clipped to a plastic plate (about 2.5 x 3 inches)that has the motor pivots for moving the mirror. If the clips haven't entirely locked into place, the glass may be able to vibrate. He's suggesting pushing the mirror entirely back into the mirror enclosure to see if you can lock the clips.

On my 2005 Sierra dually I've had the same issue and finally added a small glob (1/2 the size of a pea)of silicone seal at the edge of the motor plate and the mirror glass on two edges of that plate at the mirror. After it cured overnight, the vibrations were gone. And a razor knife cut through those silicone globes would allow unclipping of the mirror glass if needed in the future for mirror glass replacement.

BUT ... your car is under warranty! Take it back to the dealership for repair.
skipw likes this.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

@Midas.
Thanks for reply and tried what you have suggested...but no change. Looks mirror is firm. Could be some problem with the clips.
@gbhrps.
Thank you for your suggestion..I might end up doing something like you did.
Took to dealer and dealer changed just the mirror.I am not sure whether he understodd the problem...Still I see the issue...the mirror shaking is only at 60-70 mph and its very hard to notice..it like speaker shaking while playing music....I am thinking this could be a resonance issue at that particular frequency...I will ask dealer if they could do change the entire mirror case this time.
on the other side ,The passenger side mirror doesn't has this issue.
I might make couple of my friends drive the car and see if they can notice it or is it just my feeling.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:15 AM

Car: 2005 3.0 R n totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith5859 View Post
@Midas.
Thanks for reply and tried what you have suggested...but no change. Looks mirror is firm. Could be some problem with the clips.
@gbhrps.
Thank you for your suggestion..I might end up doing something like you did.
Took to dealer and dealer changed just the mirror.I am not sure whether he understodd the problem...Still I see the issue...the mirror shaking is only at 60-70 mph and its very hard to notice..it like speaker shaking while playing music....I am thinking this could be a resonance issue at that particular frequency...I will ask dealer if they could do change the entire mirror case this time.
on the other side ,The passenger side mirror doesn't has this issue.
I might make couple of my friends drive the car and see if they can notice it or is it just my feeling.
It could also be a design flaw (if others have the same issue) and it should then be brought directly to Subaru NA attention, IMO!

Quidquid agis, prudenter agas et respice finem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: