P0420 Diagnosis - Page 158 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1571 of 1609 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:46 PM

Car: 2000 Legacy EJ251 AT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Alright so I downloaded RomRaider, and I am just waiting on the cord now. I’m having difficulties understanding if I have the right ECU Definitions along with the Logger Definitions. Any help to download the correct/compatible files for a 2000 2.5AT Legacy would help, otherwise I will just try the ones that I have downloaded. Super excited to get this done!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1572 of 1609 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:44 PM

Car: 2002 Outback
Hi Cardoc, I made a few runs with the gutted cat but just with AF sensor installed (threads were gone on rear O2 bung so I welded in a plug). I still had the rear sensor plugged in though and tie wrapped to the firewall in engine comp. (I wasn't sure what ECM would do if it was not there at all). The runs from 3/30 were done before I changed anything else and it seemed I was still getting too much knock correction. I then did a fuel pump pressure test and found that at idle I'm getting around 37 psi and when I disconnect vacuum hose from FPR, it rises to 46 psi. If I dead head the pump (block return flow) it rises to 70 psi. I think these numbers are normal/good. I was going to do a flow volume test but couldn't find the proper way to bypass fuel pump relay (I did blow a fuse though). I went ahead and changed the fuel filter since it had been over 100K miles since last replacement and did some more logs (3/31 runs). It seems like things improved with very little negative know advance occurring at high load. Could it really have been just a dirty fuel filter?

Attached Files
File Type: zip no cat_20190330_105918.zip (218.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: zip No cat_new fuel filter_20190331.zip (134.6 KB, 3 views)
post #1573 of 1609 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:58 PM

Samochitwa, it's been a while since I installed RR on my laptop but the logger definition file I'm using for the 2002 is logger_STD-EN_v346.xml (the EN is for English units). I use a cheap laptop with Windows 10 Home.
post #1574 of 1609 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC5 View Post
Hi Cardoc, I made a few runs with the gutted cat but just with AF sensor installed (threads were gone on rear O2 bung so I welded in a plug). I still had the rear sensor plugged in though and tie wrapped to the firewall in engine comp. (I wasn't sure what ECM would do if it was not there at all). The runs from 3/30 were done before I changed anything else and it seemed I was still getting too much knock correction. I then did a fuel pump pressure test and found that at idle I'm getting around 37 psi and when I disconnect vacuum hose from FPR, it rises to 46 psi. If I dead head the pump (block return flow) it rises to 70 psi. I think these numbers are normal/good. I was going to do a flow volume test but couldn't find the proper way to bypass fuel pump relay (I did blow a fuse though). I went ahead and changed the fuel filter since it had been over 100K miles since last replacement and did some more logs (3/31 runs). It seems like things improved with very little negative know advance occurring at high load. Could it really have been just a dirty fuel filter?
All this time I was thinking you replaced the fuel filter. Can't believe you went 100k on it. That's a lot. From here on out, 20-30k mile intervals. Yes, a flow restriction will cause knock because even though pressure is high, the cylinder(s) get a lean shot which causes detonation, (the knock), or a misfire.

The log looks good. The low knock correction is normal.

Now the question is, is the knock remaining low when you put the exhaust back up???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1575 of 1609 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:20 AM

Thanks Cardoc. I had fuel delivery on my list of things you said to check and I guess I should check the easy things first (slaps head)... I didn't think it had been that long on the fuel filter. I will post some logs when I get the cat back on. Out of curiosity though, how do you do the fuel flow test (get the pump working without engine running)?
post #1576 of 1609 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:54 PM

Well, I did a few test runs with the cat back on and 'seat of the pants' dyno said the engine was less willing to rev/down on power. I think the data backs this up. I guess I'll need to shop around for a new cat. In the meantime, I think I'll swap the gutted one back on...
Attached Files
File Type: zip with cat_20190403.zip (202.5 KB, 3 views)
post #1577 of 1609 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Fuel flow is tested by disconnecting the fuel hose after the regulator and use an extension hose to feed a measured container. You can run the pump by jumping the blue wire to the red/black at the fuel pump relay. Blue is from the fuse, red/black is to the pump. The relay is behind the knee bolster next to the interior fuse box (see pic). Flow should be about 17 gal/hr at 43 psi according to Subaru specs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen 2 FP Relay.gif
Views:	5
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	449163  

post #1578 of 1609 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:41 PM

Thanks Cardoc. Do you pull the connector off the relay when doing this or does it not matter?
post #1579 of 1609 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC5 View Post
Thanks Cardoc. Do you pull the connector off the relay when doing this or does it not matter?
removing the relay makes it easier to jump the wires

post #1580 of 1609 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:04 PM

Car: 2000 Legacy EJ251 AT
Alright Cardoc, I don’t know if you recall my issues with my car dying and getting P0107 and 420 along with really rich conditions.. but I now have a rom raider setup with the cord. Which parameters would you like to see first & what’s your favourite type of beer?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: