Car battery drain prevention: disconnect switch - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 12:58 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I suggest a jump starter pack rather than erasing the car's brains. It might even be hard to start after disconnecting the battery. I know my '05 had to relearn how to start and idle cold after that. Just remember to give the pack a charge every few months.
This seems like it would be much simpler! I am waiting on my jump pack to arrive.

*bone stock* 2017 3.6R Outback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 07:31 PM

Car: 1999 Outback Limited Manual EJ25
My Outback is well and truly out of warranty and has spent considerable time camped in the boondocks, routinely being parked for a week or so. I never had a problem with battery drain but wanted to make sure of that. Initially I used a solar trickle charge unit similar to this product. Later on I connected a solar charge controller to the battery wired to an Anderson plug accessible through the front bumper/fender, which allowed me to use the solar panels I was using to power my fridge and communications to fully charge the (sealed) starter battery without having to open the hood/bonnet and expose the engine bay to the elements, and also to listen to the car's radio without having to worry about draining the battery. I routinely use this setup at home; the car typically only gets used once a week or less and I plug in a solar panel the day after it's used and the day before it next gets used to coddle the battery. There's a noticeable improvement in the eagerness of the starter motor when the battery is freshly charged.

This setup has also been handy when tinkering with lights or other electricals as it allows me to run the car's electrical system without having to run the motor to maintain voltage and/or protect the battery from discharge. The only issue I've had with it was when I fitted aftermarket LED daytime running lights which were activated by a voltage sensor - when the charge controller cycled the battery voltage during bulk charging the DRL's would cycle on and off. This was solved by adding a relay to disconnect the DRL's when the solar panel is connected.

I was just thinking yesterday how camping with battery EV's will be so much simpler. There is ample juice in an EV battery to run a camping fridge etc so there will no longer be any need to fit or pack a heavy deep cycle battery.

1999 Limited 2.5L MT (Gen 3 Australia, Gen 2 USA) 381,000 km (237,000 miles) and counting.
King Raiser springs, 15" rims (standard rims from previous model Outback) with GT Savero AT+ all-terrain tyres, Whiteline front & rear sway bars, single mass clutch, light bullbar, Lightforce 170 Striker driving lights, Lamin-x yellow tint on fog lights plus yellow Optilux globes, Hella LEDayline 4 DRL's, UHF radio, solar charge controller wired to starter battery.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
@DavidPeab has experimented at length with solar panels on his cars,

and automatic disconnects on those he was letting his daughters have full time. (= so as to need not drive out with a jumper pack at midnight to a movie theater parking lot)

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 10:33 PM

Car: '17 Outback 2.5i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemccoy View Post
My issue with a 10mm wrench is the wrench (or whatever tool) becomes a vital part of the system. If the wrench is lost, things become unduly complicated. I would prefer a well-made, hardwired, cutoff switch. The wrench would be a backup.

Many racing series require a battery disconnect that safety workers can pull in case of an accident. They've been in use for decades, so they should be reliable and refined. Typically they mount to the positive terminal and have a terminal for the battery cable to attach. You might try looking at Summit since they cater to racers.

post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 10:50 PM

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
Disconnect switches are not a wise approach on a microprocessor controlled vehicle. These systems are intended to remain permanently powered up and in standby state, with critical data retained. Powering down hard wipes out all learned data, and requires a hot environment or stone cold reboot that the chip set really isn't intended to do on a regular basis. You are asking for reliability issue down the road, in addition to possible starting or driveability issues for the first few miles.

This is an approach for emergency use only, and not a good daily or even weekly practice.
BillE507 likes this.

2002 OBW base model with automatic. Added: CD player, Security System, tweeters & subwoofer, trailer hitch, lighting mods, cabin filters, hood deflector, drivers lumbar mods, winter tires.
2014 OBW Premium, CVT & Moonroof. Added: trailer hitch, lighting mods, upgraded horn, winter tire/wheel/TPMS package.
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 02:37 PM

Been working on cars professionally and personally for over 20 years... new to these car forums. This is an interesting subject, which I can hopefully offer an option.
Has any one ever heard of Priority Start?
https://www.prioritystart.com/

I’ve known other auto techs who’ve never heard of Priority Start, and can’t belive this company isn’t more widely known. I have been buying them for over ten years.
jakemccoy and Dantrax like this.
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 04:21 PM

Car: 2017 Outback
A battery isolator is a good idea whenever you find yourself needing one.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 05:21 PM

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPhoenix View Post
.....Priority Start? ..... I have been buying them for over ten years.
This is a sound approach as a safety net on a car that's likely to leave you stranded. I think it's unnecessary for most (we have a NOCO lithium in each car, and the family knows how to use them), but I can't fault anyone who selects to go with a smart disconnect as another layer of protection.
Dantrax likes this.

2002 OBW base model with automatic. Added: CD player, Security System, tweeters & subwoofer, trailer hitch, lighting mods, cabin filters, hood deflector, drivers lumbar mods, winter tires.
2014 OBW Premium, CVT & Moonroof. Added: trailer hitch, lighting mods, upgraded horn, winter tire/wheel/TPMS package.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Car: '17 3.6 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
@DavidPeab has experimented at length with solar panels on his cars,

and automatic disconnects on those he was letting his daughters have full time. (= so as to need not drive out with a jumper pack at midnight to a movie theater parking lot)
I have that one sitting in my garage currently.

I removed it from little red because I mistakenly thought it was causing issues but it turned out to be the alternator. I never did reinstall it because the new owner didn't care.
DavidPeab likes this.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
I have that one sitting in my garage currently.

I removed it from little red because I mistakenly thought it was causing issues but it turned out to be the alternator. I never did reinstall it because the new owner didn't care.
use to see those in cop/ tow truck catalog parts.
like use this before a draw like a high power radio kills the battery of something that maybe sitting unattended and forgotten about.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: