OEM air filter size difference - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Doug Just Doug

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2018 Touring 3.6R
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OEM air filter size difference

Picked up an OEM replacement engine air filter and noticed itís a bit smaller than the factory filter. Part numbers match but there are a few other minor differences in addition to the size. Pics below. It was more difficult to install because it didnít friction fit in like the factory filter and wanted to slide out when sandwiching the cover back on. Iíve routinely bought OEM air filters for other brands because they typically are a better fit than aftermarket but this didnít impress me. Anyone else notice this or have an aftermarket that fits more like the factory filter?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19018E49-AE2B-4A0F-8E11-893C0B1A0F3F.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	442217   Click image for larger version

Name:	79CFB7AD-81B0-4F3D-89F8-601E23F856A1.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	3.50 MB
ID:	442219  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 09:53 AM

Car: 2012 Outback 3.6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny2 View Post
Picked up an OEM replacement engine air filter and noticed itís a bit smaller than the factory filter. Part numbers match but there are a few other minor differences in addition to the size. Pics below. It was more difficult to install because it didnít friction fit in like the factory filter and wanted to slide out when sandwiching the cover back on. Iíve routinely bought OEM air filters for other brands because they typically are a better fit than aftermarket but this didnít impress me. Anyone else notice this or have an aftermarket that fits more like the factory filter?

What OEM replacement did you purchase? Brand and part number would help.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 10:14 AM

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
Quote:

I bought a Napa filter before and ran into a similar situation, not an exact fit and returned it the next day.

Never had any issues with fitment of Fram ExtraGuard air filters. Unless it changed (which it doesn't look like), you need a Fram CA9997 engine filter.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavarock View Post
What OEM replacement did you purchase? Brand and part number would help.

Perhaps OEM means something different to you...but these are both Subaru filters 16546AA12A. You can see both have same part numbers in pictures. The one of the left came from the factory and fits better.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 10:41 AM

Car: 2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
If they're both Subaru filters with same part number, then either they switched suppliers, the manufacturer has QA issues, or Subaru changed the design slightly. Weird.
1 Lucky Texan likes this.

Current Garage:
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
2012 Honda CRV 4WD EX
2008 Honda Fit Sport
2015 Kawasaki Versys 650
1986 Schwinn Sierra MTB :^)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
If they're both Subaru filters with same part number, then either they switched suppliers, the manufacturer has QA issues, or Subaru changed the design slightly. Weird.

I'd say they're definitely made by different suppliers...the factory filter is stamped "ELSA LLC DENSO MADE IN USA" but the replacement just says "SUBARU MADE IN USA". There are some other less obvious nuances that don't really matter, but size/fit is a big deal in my book.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 12:30 PM

Car: 2012 Outback 3.6R
Quote:
Perhaps OEM means something different to you...but these are both Subaru filters 16546AA12A. You can see both have same part numbers in pictures. The one of the left came from the factory and fits better.

Sorry I did not notice the part numbers. The word replacement is what threw me off. I would consider a Fram filter an OEM replacement. By that a filter that will directly replace the OEM filter.

I looked at the filter in my 2012 3.6R. It is a Subaru filter I got from Subaru Direct if I remember correct. It is also marked "ELSA LLC DENSO MADE IN USA". Part number 16546AA12A
I measured the filter and it measures 220 mm x 222mm. Have no idea what the original factory filter was as that was 6 years ago.

I have been using NAMPA 6914 filters mostly. The 6914 is advertised as 219mmx 219mm. The 6914 has more pleats (23) than the Subaru at (13). The Subaru filter I have now was purchased to bring my Subaru Direct order to a value for free shipping thus resulted in a good price.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavarock View Post
I measured the filter and it measures 220 mm x 222mm.

That's about exactly what the factor filter was. The replacement Subaru filter was around 118mm square so just slightly smaller than the NAPA (assuming their published numbers are correct). I picked up a Fram CA9997 and it's identical in size to the factory filter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: