2006 Turbo multiple issues - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 Turbo multiple issues

I have had my 2006 Outback 2.5 for a while now, and its got about 190k miles on it. The transmission (when cold) will catch and won't shift gears, happens mostly accellerating from a stop.
The engine is also burning oil. The smell is pretty strong, the level gets low on the dipstick and seems darker than it should be.
I love my car but getting the engine rebuilt is probably worth more than the car itself. Is an engine rebuild kit doable or worth the money? Is it even worth reselling my car, or should I ride it out till it dies?
Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:55 PM

Car: 2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
Your oil leak sounds like rocker covers dripping onto the exhaust.

The turbo 2.5l engine is both the XT and the Legacy GT are known to drink oil. Some oils more than others. I've had good luck with 5w40 T6 Rotella but I'm still checking it at every fill up (or there abouts.)

Manual transmission or Automatic? If it's manual, when was the last time you changed the fluid in it? If it's automatic, when was the last time you changed the fluid in it?

Current cars: The Sex Wagon 2005 Legacy GT Wagon w/ 5 speed, Stage 2, TBSTI Bilsteins/STI Pinks and Whiteline everything else. The Outbean 2006 Legacy Outback LLBean 3.0r, All stock The Workhorse 2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 New Project 2009 2.5i SE--Blown Headgaskets

Past cars: 2001 Outback 2.5 Limited, 2003 Outback LLBean h6, 2008 Outback 2.5 base, 2010 Legacy 2.5i Premium w CVT, 2003 BMW 330CI, 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

It's an automatic. I haven't changed the fluid in it.
Everywhere I've gone has said that the mileage is high and I shouldn't change the transmission fluid.
The service history of this car is pretty much unknown.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:45 PM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
new PCV valve could slow the oil leak until it's correctly dealt with. Split CV boots can also create a smell - slinging grease onto the exhaust.

I second trans fluid change - do 3 drain/fill/drive-a-little cycles, maybe on the final fill try a bottle of Trans-X . 3 drain/fills will get you over 80% new fluid.

the 06 probably needs ATF-HP or compatible trans fluid ???

reminder - trans fluid is the only fluid level you must check while idling the car.

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:13 PM

Car: 2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
It's an automatic. I haven't changed the fluid in it.
Everywhere I've gone has said that the mileage is high and I shouldn't change the transmission fluid.
The service history of this car is pretty much unknown.
I just responded to your other thread but I'll add some details here. Lots of people might say they've heard of issues when swapping fluids in the trans. That hasn't been my experience. I had very burned and old trans fluid with an unknown service history in my 06 Outbean. I'm not sure it had every been changed tbh. I had a 100% fluid exchange done on the car at 206k miles and it really helped it out. Shifts so much smoother now.
1 Lucky Texan likes this.

Current cars: The Sex Wagon 2005 Legacy GT Wagon w/ 5 speed, Stage 2, TBSTI Bilsteins/STI Pinks and Whiteline everything else. The Outbean 2006 Legacy Outback LLBean 3.0r, All stock The Workhorse 2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 New Project 2009 2.5i SE--Blown Headgaskets

Past cars: 2001 Outback 2.5 Limited, 2003 Outback LLBean h6, 2008 Outback 2.5 base, 2010 Legacy 2.5i Premium w CVT, 2003 BMW 330CI, 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:56 PM

nothing good can happen by letting the fluid continue to degrade. It might mean a slow death, but death anyway..

From a small amount of personal experience and LOTS of reading, fresh fluid has helped MANY folks get back to like-new trans operation.

another concern with this car would be the most recent timing belt system service. If aftermarket parts were used, a premature failure is more likely and, major valve damage can occur due to interference design. It may be worthwhile to accelerate the TB service to get OEM or other japanese-quality parts in there. Unless you can get that service record, and it's specific enough to satisfy any doubts about the parts quality, it's a real risk.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Just an update, after some research and looking at my engine I changed the PCV valve and the engine seems to be running smoother, but there's still a decent amount of oil dripping onto the ground. I can't tell yet if it's pooling on top of the engine like it was before, but it still seems to be dripping down from the front of the engine. Could it be something on the front main seals under the timing belt cover? Any good forums on how to get easy access?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:08 PM

Car: 2001 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 3.0 H6
I second the trans fluid change. I have an 01 ll bean on original trans. At 211k I thought for sure it was done for. If anything it's got better. The fluid was dark when I bought it and the trans shifted hard. If the trans is done for it probably will be regardless. I used some Lucas trans fix in there at first. There is very little in there now. I changed the fluid at 211k, and I just did it again at 270. I beat on my car pretty hard... I had it floored for long periods of time thru the mountains recently without issue. You might be happily surprised if you decide to change the fluid. 🙂
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:28 AM

cam seal, crank seals behind the covers, the oil sender switch is on top kinda under the alt.

sometimes cleaning the engine followed by frequent close inspections can pin-down the source.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

I guess I'll be looking under the timing belt cover later this week. I don't think it's the oil switch under the alternator, I can get a pretty good look at it and it seems dry.

Could it be valve cover gaskets?

How much of a pain is it to get to the cam and crank seals?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: