2013 Outback apparent transmission issue - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2013 Outback apparent transmission issue

Hi,
First post here. Been poking around a bit but thought I'd ask this straight away as I didn't find quite my scenario elsewhere.
I have a 2013 Outback 2.5, bought used about 4 years ago from a Subaru dealer. Been very solid until recently. A couple months ago I started intermittently getting what felt like a subtle slipping in the transmission, in particular at lower speeds when accelerating. It would sort of gently do a little "skip" it felt like, like it was trying to grab a gear and sort of thunked down into it. Sometimes at higher speeds too. After it started becoming more frequent (though still intermittent) I took it to my dealer's service (I have a full extended warranty BTW). It took them days to re-create it (I think they actually just sat on it for a few days). They said it wasn't the transmission, but they thought I needed new spark plugs. Odd, I thought, but I sprung for them. Didn't fix it. Took it back to them, and this time they had it for almost a week, test driving it (again, I think they just sat on it for days because the phenomenon was now happening to me every day). I kept telling them it felt like the transmission. FINALLY after a week, they claimed they did a "transmission test" and sure enough I needed a new transmission. So, they replaced the "entire transmission". I got it back, drove it for about a week and sure enough, it's doing the same thing again. So, I have (in theory) a brand new transmission, and it's still doing this thing, that they ultimately agreed was a transmission issue. What could this problem be? I'm getting really sick of taking my car back to these guys! Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:19 PM

Car: 2001 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 3.0 H6
They replaced the entire transmission? Define slip? Do the RPMs go higher with no power going to the wheels? From my experience slipping is either low fluid or a bad trans...

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloyan View Post
They replaced the entire transmission? I'm hoping under warranty! Define slip? Do the RPMs go higher with no power going to the wheels? From my experience slipping is either low fluid or a bad trans...
Yep, they say they replaced the "entire transmission". Under the Subaru warranty, so no problem there.
The way I would describe it is, when accelerating gradually (doesn't seem to do it if I lay into the gas more), it'll be speeding up and then there's a "tug", like something grabs. The RPMs do not go higher w/o power--I know what that is like from other cars. It's not that. It's like it's accelerating and gets to a point where it "tugs" it into the next gear. That's what it feels like at least. It can be at lower or higher speeds. The RPMs don't seem to dip down at the tug or anything like that. The one constant (I think) is that it's during gradual acceleration. As I say, if I give it a lot more gas quickly it doesn't seem to happen. But I can't be flooring it out of stop lights all the time!
One other thing I noticed today. I never use the manual mode/paddle shifters. Today I decided to try manual mode and it's surprising how high a gear the car is in when I switch over to that mode. I'll be going a modest 35 mph for example in auto, and then switch to manual and the car is in 5th gear!? Is that normal? I started wondering if it's related, like the car isn't shifting in the right places or something. With a brand new transmission no less...
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:01 AM

Car: Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
If this is a 2013 with a 5EAT (non CVT) transmission I suspect you have a (known) problem with the torque converter.

The torque converters in these models (and many other makes and models) can “slip” when the torque converter goes to “lock up”. This typically happens around 80Km/h (50 miles per hour) and only under light acceleration (as you describe)

I suspect the dealer did not replace the torque converter when they replaced the transmission and I am a bit surprised that they did not suspect the torque converter as it is a known problem.

Let us know how you get on.

Seagrass

MY11 Outback 3.6R Premium (Daily drive)
MY06 Forester XT 2.5 (Youngest daughter driving)
MY07 Liberty/Legacy 2.5 (Eldest daughter)
MY04 Impreza RS 2.5 (Sold Jan 2019)
MY02 Impreza 2.0 (Son in Law)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:05 AM

Car: 2014 3.6R Limited
2.5 so it's a CVT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagrass View Post
If this is a 2013 with a 5EAT (non CVT) transmission I suspect you have a (known) problem with the torque converter.

The torque converters in these models (and many other makes and models) can “slip” when the torque converter goes to “lock up”. This typically happens around 80Km/h (50 miles per hour) and only under light acceleration (as you describe)

I suspect the dealer did not replace the torque converter when they replaced the transmission and I am a bit surprised that they did not suspect the torque converter as it is a known problem.

Let us know how you get on.

Seagrass
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Yes, it's a 2.5 and as far as I know it's a CVT. At least when I was discussing it with the service guy and asking about CVTs, how they work, etc., he never said it wasn't a CVT.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Silly question I expect, but is it possible to replace the transmission but NOT replace the transmission fluid?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:06 PM

Car: 2001 2.5 RS & 2000 OBS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbass View Post
Silly question I expect, but is it possible to replace the transmission but NOT replace the transmission fluid?
So...new trans with no fluid? Or new trans and use the old fluid?

Uh...either is in the realm of possible.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrgh View Post
So...new trans with no fluid? Or new trans and use the old fluid?

Uh...either is in the realm of possible.
I'm a mechanical dummy, but these guys don't exactly instill confidence. I was wondering if it's mechanically possible to put in a new transmission and NOT change the old fluid, or as you say, forget to put any in!!!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:31 PM

Car: 2001 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 3.0 H6
Very well could be the torque converter. Check this post out too. https://www.subaruoutback.org/#/topics/430217

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: