Did I get screwed? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium, stock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did I get screwed?

Let me start by saying part of this may just be inadequacy of not doing maintenance myself. My dad taught my brother and I how to do some basic regular maintenance (changing brake shoes, changing oil, small stuff) and rarely paid for maintenance. I don't have a garage or the tools to do much of this stuff, but I still feel bad for not doing it myself.

Just dropped my '15 Outback off at a very well-respected independent Subi specific repair shop in town for the 60K service. Quoted price before I left was about $560. I get a call in the shuttle on the way to the office that they finished the inspection and on top of the typical stuff for the service interval (spark plugs, belt check, brake check, oil change, etc) they wanted to replace the battery tie down ($75), replace the cabin air filter ($88), and replace the front and rear diff fluid ($can't remember exactly what he said...maybe like $120?) for a new grand total of like $860 ish.

I'm a little peeved they want to do an oil change, since I still had at least 1000 miles to go until I actually needed on (the sticker from them is still on the windshield) but whatever. Now I don't have to come back. It doesn't sound like anything but the spark plugs really needed to be changed from the inspection (as far as belts, brakes, etc. go) so it really feels like I paid them a **** ton of money to look at my car. $88 for a filter is absurd. I'm kicking myself since I know it needed to be changed (haven't changed it in like 35K miles) and probably isn't hard. The battery tie down....my last battery had to be replaced for corrosion because it wouldn't hold a charge when I got some hail damaged fixed last summer, so I guess I'm ok with that if it saves me from having to replace the battery again. Diff fluid...I'm not sure. I drive in the mountains a lot, and in the summer do a lot of camping off forest roads with a bunch of stuff in the back, so maybe...

I don't know. Just frustrated that this place is independent and super well-respected in the area, but seems to be no better than a dealership in pricing... Now I remember why I skip service intervals.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:54 AM

Car: 2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
Your issue was asking for "60k service". Cabin air filter is super easy, no need to charge $88 for that. Diffs for $120 seem reasonable, unless that's each. Ask for a-la-carte, not as the interval package...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:56 AM

Car: 2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R Wilderness Green
If I was in your position I will fix everything that you are comportable to fix then take it to the shop, of course they will tell you everything that it need to be change because you ask for 60K service they know that you can't do those simple things. Like the cabin filter you can buy the filter for less than $20 then install in less than 5 minutes. I'm just saying and my .02 cent.

[/Retired
[/2019 Outback 3.6R Touring]
[/2015 Toyota Tacoma Pre Runner Limited]
[/2012 Outback 3.6R Limited]
[/2005 Honda CRV EX AWD]
[/2003 Mercedes Benz C320 Sport]

"Life is too short, Lets enjoy it"
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:01 PM

Car: 2008 OB Limited 2.5i
Yes, the filter (engine air filter probably?) is overpriced.

Yes, the battery hold down parts are overpriced. But an untethered battery can do a lot of damage to your engine compartment in an accident or even a minor fender bender, well out of proportion to the accident itself. It needed to be replaced if it was compromised by corrosion.

Yes, the fluids were due to be changed, other than engine oil.

Live and learn. And do these things yourself next time!

And BTW - skipping service intervals because of overpriced service providers is being, well, rather penny wise and pound foolish.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:10 PM

Car: 2015 Outback Limited 2.5
Exclamation Simple Answer to you Question

Yes you got SCREWED!!!!

2015 Outback Limited 2.5 - 20MM rear Swaybar, Yokohama YK740 GTX 235/60-R18, Perrin Steering Lockdown
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnre View Post
Yes, the filter (engine air filter probably?) is overpriced.

Yes, the battery hold down parts are overpriced. But an untethered battery can do a lot of damage to your engine compartment in an accident or even a minor fender bender, well out of proportion to the accident itself. It needed to be replaced if it was compromised by corrosion.

Yes, the fluids were due to be changed, other than engine oil.

Live and learn. And do these things yourself next time!

And BTW - skipping service intervals because of overpriced service providers is being, well, rather penny wise and pound foolish.
That's what I keep trying to tell myself. Live and learn and now they're done, start fresh and be on top of the maintenance.

Though I did just get a call to approve another hour of labor because the spark plugs are being super difficult to come out. The guy said it's like they were glued in. More than anything, I just want to know if this place is worthy of the constant praise it receives. Sounds like it's no better than a dealer.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:45 PM

Car: 2008 OB Limited 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohns716 View Post
I did just get a call to approve another hour of labor because the spark plugs are being super difficult to come out. The guy said it's like they were glued in.
If they were not pulled at 30k miles for inspection, that may well be the case. FWIW, a 60k spark plug replacement interval doesn't mean you should forego inspecting them at 30k for any issues; it simply means that under normal wear and tear conditions, they are capable of going 60k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohns716 View Post
More than anything, I just want to know if this place is worthy of the constant praise it receives.
Probably not. But keep on asking around, and even post to this forum in a new thread; there are a lot of Colorado people on board here.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:32 PM

Car: 2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
Garage
I would not approve another labor hour, if they are suppose to know subies so well spark plugs aren't hard and to say they need an extra hour because they are stuck in seems like they are ripping you off bad. Even for a mechanic 88 is unacceptable to change a filter, they paid 15.00 max for the part and it will take their lowest paid mech 5 minutes of their time to change it so either they have one **** of a mark up on parts or the worlds highest labor rates. I would tell them to F off on the extra hour of labor but they better still change those plugs out. Don't go back their live and learn don't let them get you again.

2014 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:01 PM

Car: 2008 Subaru Outback Base. 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i. 2013 Harely-Davidson FLHTK.
Garage
This wouldn't be Super Rupair by chance?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTIBob View Post
This wouldn't be Super Rupair by chance?
Yep. Had some good experiences there with simple stuff (oil change, alignment), but then that. Now, I just noticed my right rear tire is cupping again (why I went in for alignment ~8K miles ago) so now I'm wondering if the alignment is off again or if at 61K miles, my shocks and struts need to be replaced...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: