2006, horn blaring during jump start, now completely dead - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006, horn blaring during jump start, now completely dead

Hey all,

I woke up to a dead battery in my '06 outback this morning, and when I went to jump it the horn started going off as soon as I connected the donor car. While connected, and with the horn going off, I got into the outback and there were no dash lights on, and turning the key in the ignition did nothing. I disconnected the jumper cables to stop the damned horn, and also took off the battery cables to clean them and the battery posts with a wire brush.

After cleaning the posts/clamps, I tightened them back up, took out the fuse for the horn, and attempted to jump again. This time I got no response at all. I tested that the cables were hot, and they sparked when touched together, but with the positive on the battery, I couldn't get a spark out of the negative on any grounding point on the car. Predictably, there was no power to the dash or the ignition.

At this point I took the battery out, got it tested at the local parts store, and because the clerk said he couldn't even get a reading on it on the battery tester, I bought a new one.

After getting home, and installing the new battery, I still have a completely dead car. No dash lights, nothing at the ignition, etc.

Any ideas as to what's going on here??

I'm perplexed because initially the car seemed to take juice from the jumper cables (and fire off the horn, something I've never experienced during the dozen other times I've jumped the car, so I don't know why that happened) and now it's just dead altogether. Strange.

Thanks in advance to all replies, I really appreciate your help!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:04 AM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
try cycling the security on-off a coupla times with the fob.

if no response from that, a main fuse may be blown.

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:58 AM

Car: 2005 OBXT Limited, EJ207 swap
Garage
Are you sure you pulled the correct fuse? If so, I'd reinstall and see if you get any life back.

2005 OBXT Limited OBPM // EJ207 // 5MT

First 32-bit, 207-swapped OBXT?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:32 AM

Car: '18 3.6R Ltd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgordsayshe View Post
...during the dozen other times I've jumped the car...

Whatever the specific problem is now (and I agree that the main fuse is a good place to start; also, find the short in the horn circuit before doing anything else), it sounds to me that there's a more pervasive issue to deal with. HPH

Subaru #8 is the best one yet ... although the Legacy GT Spec B and Gen 3 OBXT were pretty nice...and the STi was no slouch.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:05 AM

If a battery fails the horn which is tied to the security system might go off. I have had this on a number of vehicles with dead / dying batteries.

Nothing wrong with the car just a bad battery.

Put the fuse back in then restart the car. All modern factory security systems reset when the key is in the ignition and the car is started.

If the security system does not reset when you key /start it try a different key. The ID tag in the key might be damaged.

If no key resets the security then the car may need to get the keys reprogrammed to the car and or the ignition switch replaced.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:07 AM

If you have a after market alarm all bets are off. No telling what electrical harness the installer hacked into and screwed up.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Update #1:

I forgot to mention that there is no aftermarket alarm, I did try the on/off fob strategy with no luck, and I did replace the horn fuse and that also unfortunately didn't change anything. Sounds to me like the next step is checking the main fuse with a multimeter.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:45 PM

Car: 2008 OB Limited 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgordsayshe View Post
I tested that the cables were hot, and they sparked when touched together ....

I can't let this one pass by.

You know this is very unsafe, right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: