Any luck fixing poor radio reception? - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 05:31 PM

Car: 01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
I plan to try again with them, but from other stories I've read I am thinking that the radio reception just sucks, even when it's working as intended.
this is what the dealer wants you to think.
or maybe the dealer is so un-informed they don't know any better.

if you do some research on your car,
you may be able to take it in and say,
"there is no power to the antenna amp in the rear of the car"!!!!
then they will have to fix it under warranty, assuming it is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 01:44 PM

We have the same problem with our 2015 Outback. Neither the dealer, or Subaru would help, claiming that the FM reception was normal. Our SXM contract is about to expire (which we don't want anyway), and so we need the antenna situation resolved. If I knew how to access the terminal for the antenna wires, I would see if I could hook the power antenna wire to the FM antenna in the rear glass, and hopefully, that would route the signal through the power antenna amplifier. I need instructions.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 12:21 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
I realize that this is an ancient thread, but I was hoping that one of the previous posters might have an update on this problem. I've got a 2015 Outback Limited with the factory HK stereo, and the radio reception is terrible. I'd swear it was fine when I first got the car in late 2016, and when I first noticed it I chalked it up to atmospheric conditions, but it's never gotten better. I know it's not just a fact of life with the glass embedded antenna, because I had a 2010 Outback with the same antenna, and the reception was better than my Prius with an external antenna. Since I was driving them both I had a direct comparison, such as driving to Scranton PA, and how far I could go before I lost an Allentown station.

I'm going to start digging around in the back looking for possible bad connections, though if anyone can give specifics on where to look, or what to take apart, it would be most appreciated!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 01:44 PM

Car: 2008 Tribeca Limited
I discovered my issue was the actual wires to the antenna...or booster...I don't recall exactly.

What I found was the wire in the rubber boot upper left of the rear hatch was broken (prob due to the open/close)...once reattached it worked fine.
geodosch likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moops View Post
What I found was the wire in the rubber boot upper left of the rear hatch was broken (prob due to the open/close)...once reattached it worked fine.
Thank you for the info! I'm hoping to have time this weekend to check that out.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 02:57 PM

I got to the amplifier and wiring, but couldn't find the problem.

There are 3 wires (not counting a ground) for the amplifier and antenna, two thick ones and a thin wire. I don't get a voltage reading between any of them and ground. Not knowing what voltages there should be makes that tough to troubleshoot. I've tried to find a wiring diagram online to find out what's what, but no luck. Are the two thick wires to a dipole antenna, and the thin the 12V, or is the thin wire the antenna and the two thick ones the +/- power supply? The amplifier itself is a Fujitsu, though most of what I've found shows a Clarion amp. There are no obvious breaks in the wires going through the boot, and moving them around, in case there was an internal break, didn't help, though of course that doesn't mean that isn't the problem.

I found this thread that has some more details, but I haven't yet found the problem

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...reception.html

Since I normally listen to music from Iheartradio and other sources, it's not that I don't have entertainment, but it would be good to be able to get a traffic report, or have the radio on a long drive. I may take another run at this in the future, but I think I've given-up for now.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 07:05 AM

Car: 2007 EDM H6
I recently got my tailgate dismantled, I personally probed it myself, I think when we first started the operations, the amplifier was actually disconnected because of a broken wire, since this is a second hand car, the wire already had 2 patches on it

But in the end, even though I verified the amplifier, the signal is still slightly noisy

When I first bought the car 3 weeks ago, the radio quality outside my city was beyond awesome, after arriving at city, I got the tailgate fixed, it was a major operation, they flexed, hammered the tailgate repeatedly and corrected it, after that, the radio was never the same

Sadly, this is was not a controlled experiment, so I can't verify whether the flexing and hammering of the tailgate somehow made things worse.

I went to a Clarion service, they told me that the radio reception in the city is bad itself and everyone is complaining, so this might indeed be the stock performance of the radio

I think I'm going to settle with sub-par radio, the quality is at 90%, when I first experienced it, it was an awing 99%+ in my opinion

Let me also leave this here: http://opposedforces.com/parts/legac...parts_antenna/ - The "Noise suppressor assembly" in my car is a simple plastic box with an exposed/simple electronic device, maybe the amplifier is working, yet this noise suppressor is somehow not functioning as it should, all the connections are there, but I guess I'm going to give up, and let it be for a while
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 01:55 PM

Thumbs up Bad Radio? Yes, wires were severed!

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread!
I just came in from pulling BOTH boots off the hinge side of the lift gate.. 2 severed ground wires on the left, 3 severed wires on the right, and almost all the other wires with broken insulation.
A bit of solder, shrink tube, sections of wire, and lots of electrical tape.. and I not only have good FM reception, but I also have AM again (I haven't had that in 3 years), AND, my rear window wiper "intermittent" function works correctly; it was stopping at random somewhere on the window, except back at "zero".

If you pull the rubber boots up, you WILL see the problem quickly, if it is wires getting severed.

-Andrew in Newfoundland - 2005 Subaru Outback Legacy, 95,000mi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: