Blown front speakers, need replacements - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2004 Legacy Outback 3.0L 6 Cyl VDC AWD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blown front speakers, need replacements

This is the oddest. I put my car in for body shop work and it came back looking new! but my front door woofers are blown. Being a musician I know sound and would have known if my speakers were blown when I took it in. ALTHOUGH... I like to fade my speakers to the rear because I can blast louder without front speaker ear fatigue. Plus my subie has a killer Marantz system with sub woofer. My car looks like a soccer mom car (metallic green hand me down from my folks), so I can't figure out why Subaru put such a sweet system in a car that probably only a metal head like me would appreciate.

Anyway, the point is my front speakers got little air time and thus I don't know how they blew and how they blew in the shop. They definitely didn't blow before hand. I thought perhaps the shop didn't install the door panels right but they claim they didn't remove them. I can't prove squat so I have to eat it and replace them. But what's in there? I don't need killer speakers since I fade to the rear, but I do want decent ones.

Anyone know what's in the doors? 4"? 5.25"? 6.5"?

Any theories would be appreciated. Thanks.
DocSubie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
Which horseless carriage we talking about here?

Have you considered the Google search bar at the top of the forum?

2002 Outback wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean no more: "Mal" 134,000 and counting.
Cloth interior swap. HIR1 high beam upgrade. Yellow Lamin-X fog light film.

2006 Outback 2.5i wagon: "Professor Sprout" 96,000 and counting.
HIR1 high beam upgrade.

Rust in Peace:
"Solstice" 1996 Outback wagon, totaled at 115K.
"Kaylee" 2003 Outback wagon, sold at 167K.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wagon & a 2.5 Limited Sedan
(moved to audio sub section of electrical)

I am thinking based on your past postings you got a " 2004 Outback wagon H6 3.0 VDC" so those are fancy McIntosh.

and @botenredwolf will have suggestions as to fixes or replacements. (a audio engineer student, has typed on what is great for 2001-2004 when the Mcintosh go wrong).

and if you click on the link next to the ? in my signature, and fill out you "about my car section with " 2004 Outback wagon H6 3.0 VDC" you won't have to ever type this again,...as this will be the last car you own.

but then no one here will wonder what you got,...and a " 2004 Outback wagon H6 3.0 VDC" is a rather unique and lovely beast.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

and my car is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDFTW View Post
Which horseless carriage we talking about here?
It's the 3.0L 6 Cyl VDC AWD Legacy Outback and I goofed... it's a McIntosh (Japan) not Marantz, duh. My car had to be outside a lot these last year so maybe the heat and cold cracked the cones. The rears sound OK but I'm wondering if I put a new pair in the front will they balance against the rears or should I just go for it and get 4 all around. Anyone know the watt rating I should get?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

@eagleeye. Thanks for the car tag info. Cool.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 01:42 AM

Car: 2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited || "1SlickVDC" 2001 Outback H6 VDC
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to botenredwolf Send a message via Skype™ to botenredwolf
eagle, it's still probably not as unique as mine (at least the attitude mine gives me, and being year-one on the VDC/H6)....

OP - the speakers are paper cone with foam surrounds. they've likely rotted out. Stock is 6.5" 8-ohm, but the amplifier can drive standard 4-ohm speakers just fine, and will put out roughly 40-60W RMS at that load (I haven't measured it, although I should do a proper reverse whack on the **** thing one of these days). Grab some Polk or if you've got the money, some Hertz Energy speakers in there. The factory McAmp is an amazing creation for what it is. You'll find the install goes surprisingly smooth, you can even re-use the existing speaker brackets.

Got the front doors done! | 1 Slick VDC (jesus tap-dancing christ....have I really had this car for only 4 years but shoved 80k miles on it?!)

I wish I'd not have thrown my speakers out when they rotted out. Just don't cheap out on the speakers, there's way too much good stuff in front of them. This gear will keep up with almost anything short of pure SQ-oriented stuff.

(edit)
Side note for stereo imaging in the cars:
don't fade to rear, destroys the imaging and introduces weird phase issues. replace the front speakers with something rather epic (I'll still recommend Hertz Energy), ditch the rear speakers or fade forward a bit. The subwoofer is a summed output of all four channels, so personally I'd say disconnect the rear speakers if you enjoy the front-only sound stage. I haven't had rear speakers hooked up in almost 2 and a half years now.

Outdated video (camera's mic was peaking, that was the distortion), system is capable of quite a bit nicer audio now, but same principle stands: epic audio quality at all volumes, even with just two front door speakers... I should also update my sig one of these days.

Kenwood DMX7704S + iDataLink Maestro, Stock H/K speakers and amplifier, JL 12W6v3 HO Wedge, JL XD1000/5v2 adding some kick. (Not hooked up yet: Hertz Energy component speakers)

botenredwolf lives in the Audio section of this forum and is a MECP Installer

Like my advice? Buy me a drink:
13nPyPmaUQK4Lp6wz6ikGSH7jBSMB2KKdv (BTC)
0x15dc8d61f72b66fd6df726f678706642d9c70bfc (ETH)

Last edited by botenredwolf; 09-06-2017 at 01:48 AM. Reason: added more stuff n things
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:10 AM

Car: '17 3.6R Touring - 04 Foz XS- 01 OBW LL Bean- 00 OBW
More than likely the surrounds have come unglued from the basket. I've repaired them in previous Subaru's.

If your serious about keeping them, it's an easy fix.

'17 3.6R Touring BBP
'04 Foz XS
'01 Bean Wagon
'00 OBW
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 06:22 AM

Car: 2014 3.6R Limited
Sounds like the body shop employees probably blew them. It irks me to no end to get my car back from a shop and some jerk had been screwing with my sound system. You would be surprised how common this is.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

@Red Suburu: Yeah I know my speakers were OK when I dropped the car. But I can't prove it. The guy I work with offered to install them since they have the tools and clips for the door panels. That "kinda" says he may agree with me, but he can't prove it and I can't so I have to eat it.
@botenredwolf: I purchased the Polks DB652 for $89. The Hertz were like $175 depending on where you buy. I'm assuming the Polks are better than factory so since I was OK with that, then I'm hoping the Polks will please although the write up on the Hertz Energies sure is tempting.

Now if only I could get a hard wired aux-in somehow. I realize if even possible someone would need to have my car and get into the amp or head unit so probably not feasible. Thoughts?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wagon & a 2.5 Limited Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSubie View Post
@Red Suburu: Yeah I know my speakers were OK when I dropped the car. But I can't prove it. The guy I work with offered to install them since they have the tools and clips for the door panels. That "kinda" says he may agree with me, but he can't prove it and I can't so I have to eat it.
@botenredwolf: I purchased the Polks DB652 for $89. The Hertz were like $175 depending on where you buy. I'm assuming the Polks are better than factory so since I was OK with that, then I'm hoping the Polks will please although the write up on the Hertz Energies sure is tempting.

Now if only I could get a hard wired aux-in somehow. I realize if even possible someone would need to have my car and get into the amp or head unit so probably not feasible. Thoughts?
2003-2004 McIntosh in US spec outbacks, I think had a port on the back of the head unit. (these were the later ones without the tape deck that was in the 2001--02)

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: