Pinout of 13 pin din Amp Connector on McIntosh HUs - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 03:44 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey guys, been reading A LOT about replacing my 2001 VDC's McIntosh unit with an aftermarket double DIN one. What is the procedure using the pin out diagram for wiring the new HU while keeping the sub and amp? I'd really like to keep the amp and sub but would like bluetooth and whatnot without having to use one of those hideous tape player line ins. Any help would be great!

The big thing I'm curious about is how you wire the harness that comes with the new unit (say, the one Crutchfield gives you) to the one behind the dash. I called Crutchfield and they basically said I had to skip out on the amp and sub and re-wire the whole car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 07:54 PM

Car: 2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
I've been working on this for a couple of days. I created a custom harness with RCA cables and a 13 pin DIN cable I bought off eBay.

Everything works great - sounds even better than the stock McIntosh head unit, but I'm also getting the whine.

I'm going out of town tomorrow, but I'm planning to work on it some more when I get back. I have a couple of ideas regarding ground, but it's still a work in progress.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 09:06 PM

Car: 2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
Great job!! I have all sorts of dealings with whine in the past. I've seen it from a loose battery terminal to a stray wire inside the barrel of an RCA. Good luck with your search and a muting plug is good start.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 07:08 AM

I read down to the end of the comments on this thread:
McIntosh EF-1080I Information My Blog

This person did what I've suspected could be a cause, and while it hasn't totally eliminated the noise for me, it has helped quite a bit. I think it's enough that I could live with it.

What do you mean by a muting plug?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 08:31 AM

Car: Lawn ornament XT
Muting plug is a diagnostic tool- you can make one for almost nothing. It's generally an RCA male plug with the shield wired to the hot pin- shorted. Mute. Can't possibly contribute a signal to the amp.

Re-routing grounds to head unit & amp usually do the trick. You could also try re-doing your custom harness with different cable- shielded, or maybe make up something from twisted pair.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 06:17 AM

This is odd. Before I installed everything back in the dash, it seemed to be working perfect - no whine at all. I'm now getting a faint whine since it's all back in the dash.

Ugh... I really don't feel like ripping it all apart at this point. I'm going to try listening at each speaker to see if I can isolate it more. I'm wondering if the front right door speaker could be it, since it's about blown - popping and crackling. Or, maybe there's a short or loose connection going to it.

The battery terminals have some light corrosion, which the dealer didn't do a very good job of cleaning. Do you think this could be a factor?
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 06:38 AM

Car: 2002 Subaru Outback VDC Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
This is odd. Before I installed everything back in the dash, it seemed to be working perfect - no whine at all. I'm now getting a faint whine since it's all back in the dash.

Ugh... I really don't feel like ripping it all apart at this point. I'm going to try listening at each speaker to see if I can isolate it more. I'm wondering if the front right door speaker could be it, since it's about blown - popping and crackling. Or, maybe there's a short or loose connection going to it.

The battery terminals have some light corrosion, which the dealer didn't do a very good job of cleaning. Do you think this could be a factor?
Your speaker ever end up blowing? I had a crackle with my Mc unit (debating replacing it) and now my front right is totally blown and back right is starting to blow out...

Also debating just rewiring it all since the mc amp is supposed to do 8 ohms, and uh.. yeah good luck finding 8 ohm drivers. But of course new head unit + amp(s) + speakers adds up real quick..
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 10:46 AM

Car: 2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited || "1SlickVDC" 2001 Outback H6 VDC
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to botenredwolf Send a message via Skype™ to botenredwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesstutrey View Post
Your speaker ever end up blowing? I had a crackle with my Mc unit (debating replacing it) and now my front right is totally blown and back right is starting to blow out...

Also debating just rewiring it all since the mc amp is supposed to do 8 ohms, and uh.. yeah good luck finding 8 ohm drivers. But of course new head unit + amp(s) + speakers adds up real quick..
I drove four 4-ohm full-range drivers and an 8" Polk 2-ohm woofer off of the factory McIntosh amplifier. It's a clarion build with IC's, so it can do the low-impedance drivers. Just be mindful of the heat.

Kenwood DMX7704S + iDataLink Maestro, Stock H/K speakers and amplifier, JL 12W6v3 HO Wedge, JL XD1000/5v2 adding some kick. (Not hooked up yet: Hertz Energy component speakers)

botenredwolf lives in the Audio section of this forum and is a MECP Installer

Like my advice? Buy me a drink:
13nPyPmaUQK4Lp6wz6ikGSH7jBSMB2KKdv (BTC)
0x15dc8d61f72b66fd6df726f678706642d9c70bfc (ETH)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesstutrey View Post

The speakers were blowing before I bought it - foam rings of this age...

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 10:49 AM

Car: 2002 VDC Outback 36,000 miles jut got it
need help with all stock HU

just got a 2002 VDC OBW 3.0 every thing seems to work but no sound dealer has tried 3 different HUs and still no sound any help will be appreciated!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: