gen 2 rear fog light switch back LED installation - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By shakenbake330

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2002 Subaru Outback 3.0 H6 L.L. Bean (Red), 2001 Subaru Outback 3.0 H6 VDC (Black)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
gen 2 rear fog light switch back LED installation

So I am in the works of wrapping up the installation of my rear fog light on my 02 outback. will be posting pictures of the wiring in the near future, but it is not 100% complete as far as where the relay and switch will be located, but it is in a functioning state. Basically, I tapped into the ground side of the main front fog light switch, I'll get you the wire color when I post the wiring pics, but I spliced in there, and put in a switch that was the control for a 4 pin relay. I had a U-haul towing light kit installed on the vehicle awhile back and it shorted out the turn signal converting module thing that makes seperate turn signals blink as your brake light for a trailer, because the person that installed it at U-haul didn't make secure connections, causing a short to ground with a loose live wire. Anyway, when they run this system they run a fused power wire from the positive terminal of your battery to the trunk of your car. I simply removed the shorted module, and replaced it with the OEM trailer wiring, which does not require this fused power wire. After I replaced all of that I used the power wire for the fog light. you can easily run your own wire, if you would like to try this set up, I just had this wire available and already tucked away nicely. The load side of the relay was put in this wire and then I ran it through the wiring cover in the tailgate that connects to the body. I purchased a generic 1980s GM bulb socket and clipped the OEM socket for the driver side reverse light. I did this because they don't make a red and white LED switch back that is the the same size as the bulb from the factory, they only make it for the new 2015 mustang or like a chevy volt and that's it. So if you want the switchback to maintain your driver side reverse light function as well as have the red rear fog light, this is the easiest way I have found to have both. I also replaced the passenger reverse light with a regular white led that just fits right into the OEM socket on that side so that it matches. I like this set up because I have the function of both of my reverse lights as well as my rear fog light on the driver side. I like only having one rear fog light, just because its easier to distinguish as a rear fog light and not your brake lights, but If you prefer two rear fog lights because its brighter, and more symmetrical then by all means do both of your reverse lights this way, its totally your preference. I also like that I have the ability to control the fog light with a seperate switch and not just have it come on with the front fog lights because there are times when I would like to use my front fog lights and not my rear. also in contrast I like that its wired to the ground side of the fog light switch, because I can't think of a time when I would use my rear fog light and not my front. also it prevents me from accidentally leaving my rear fog light on without my headlights (or front fog lights) being on. Sure you could just wire it in such a way that the rear fog light comes on whenever your tail lights come on for simplicity's sake, but that can cause strain on the eyes of drivers behind you, so its good to maintain the ability to turn the light off in clear night driving conditions. anyway, here is some pictures of the fog light in action as well as my reverse lights. I apologize for the quality, it was taken on my cellphone. Also I ran some Christmas lights on the roof rack, you'll be able to see that too.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151225_235917.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	233994   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151225_235941.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	234002   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151226_000017.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	234010   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-12-26 01.23.18.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	1,007.1 KB
ID:	234018  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2002 Subaru Outback 3.0 H6 L.L. Bean (Red), 2001 Subaru Outback 3.0 H6 VDC (Black)
Ok, so now I have had the time to clean things up a bit, but it could still use some tidying up.

[IMG][/IMG]

ok so here is the fake wood piece removed to the left of the wheel. I tied into to ground side of the fog light switch. I had a bunch of these ground crimp tip things, so i just cut that white wire with a black stripe and added the power wire for the rear fog light switch (red)

[IMG][/IMG]

that power wire went to the power terminal on the rear fog light switch, the load side of the switch is that white wire, the white wire goes to the control side of the relay. the relay I purchased had white and black wires for the control side of the relay. the black went to a body ground, along with the black ground wire going to the top terminal on the rear fog light switch.

[IMG][/IMG]

here is where i grounded the control of the relay and the ground of the switch. there are two of those little plastic boxes screwed into those brackets on the metal. I took both off and just let them rest, really you can just take one off, but I lost the fastener for the first one I removed, and had to remove the other.

[IMG][/IMG]

Ok, so here is the relay, its just a simple 30 amp 4 pin relay. the red and yellow wires are the load side of the relay and really it doesn't matter which side you connect the wire from the battery to the rear fog light, as long as the relay is somewhere in between there you're good.

[IMG][/IMG]

OK, here is where I cut the wire from the battery to the rear fog light. those two red wires go to the red and yellow wires on the load side of the relay. i couldn't tell you which goes to which, but like i said, it doesn't really matter which.

[IMG][/IMG]

here is the wire going from battery to behind the fender. make sure when you run this, that you run it, and then connect it to the battery so you don't cause sparks. before you connect it to the battery, make sure that no exposed wire is touching the body. Also make sure that there is a fuse in the circuit, you definitely need circuit protection. i ran my wire behind the battery, in between the washer fluid reservoir and the fuse panel, and up the side of the fender and into the doorway.

[IMG][/IMG]

After the relay I just tuck the wire under the doorway trims, tucked it behind the driver side back seat while it was folded down. in the trunk i put it under the carpet piece to the left of the spare tire cover, they just pop up, then i removed the panel pieces going up the side on the left and tucked the wire in there. there is a little rubber channel between the body and the tailgate near the black soot sprite hanging down. I pulled the wire through there, and tucked it behind the plastic paneling until it was directly behind the reverse light on the driver side.

[IMG][/IMG]

here is the reverse light/rear fog light switchback on the driver side. its in a generic GM light socket. the middle wire is dead, you won't use it, just cap it off, the wire on the right will go to the blue wire that went into your original reverse light socket, and thee wire on the left will go to the black wire that was on the original reverse light socket. that little red wire is for the rear fog light. It comes out of the switchback LED. you connect it to the wire you ran from the relay.

[IMG][/IMG]

here are the connections from the reverse light wiring to the socket.

[IMG][/IMG]

here is the connection of your power wire from the relay, and the rear fog light on your switchback led. i don't like these screw connector things, but it was the only thing I could think of to bridge the gap in the wire size between the switchback and the power wire from the relay.

[IMG][/IMG]

here is the fake wood reinstalled with the rear fog light switch activated.

thats pretty much it, I'm going to go back and electrical tape a bunch of things, like where I screwed those three wires together at the ground side of the front fog light switch, would have preferred to have soldered everything, but i didn't have an iron here. so crimp connectors had to do. I apologize for grammatical errors, I don't have enough time to proofread.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

also here is the link for where you can get the bulb

Switchback LED Bulb For Ford Chevy Backup Add-On Rear Fog Light
dcginc likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: