Amp Install - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Amp Install

Iím hoping that someone can shed some light on some questions that I have about installing a aftermarket amplifier. Iíve searched throughout the forum and have not found these answers.

I own a 2011 Subaru Outback with the Harmon kardon factory amp.

Iíve been trying to figure out where to splice in with a line out converter.

I think that I have the proper wiring diagram (thanks to crutchfield). I want to remove the hk factory amp but when I started my car I began pulling the plugs from the back of the amp and in order to hear sound from the radio they all had to be plugged in.

Can I just unplug it and tap my line out converter into the harness that has the speaker wires or can I splice into the plugs while keeping the hk amp still plugged in?

If I have overlooked a thread I apologize but Ive spent considerable time trying to figure this out and am at my wits end.

Thank you thank you thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:26 PM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
paging user @botenredwolf

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:22 AM

Car: 2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited || "1SlickVDC" 2001 Outback H6 VDC
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to botenredwolf Send a message via Skype™ to botenredwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insectazor View Post
Iím hoping that someone can shed some light on some questions that I have about installing a aftermarket amplifier. Iíve searched throughout the forum and have not found these answers.

I own a 2011 Subaru Outback with the Harmon kardon factory amp.

Iíve been trying to figure out where to splice in with a line out converter.

I think that I have the proper wiring diagram (thanks to crutchfield). I want to remove the hk factory amp but when I started my car I began pulling the plugs from the back of the amp and in order to hear sound from the radio they all had to be plugged in.
Can I get a copy of that? I'm working blind on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insectazor View Post

Can I just unplug it and tap my line out converter into the harness that has the speaker wires or can I splice into the plugs while keeping the hk amp still plugged in?

If I have overlooked a thread I apologize but Ive spent considerable time trying to figure this out and am at my wits end.

Thank you thank you thank you
I just typed up a whole bunch of shite about integrating with the HK amp and aftermarket head unit because I don't know how to read. lol

Okay. Before I start taking my car apart, let's make sure we're on the same page, you have:

All factory system, including head unit, amplifier, and speakers for the Harman/Kardon system with built-in Bluetooth.

You want:

Factory head unit and speakers but aftermarket amplifier (and I'm assuming a subwoofer).

Eek. Model numbers and expected layout, like what's hooked to what from a logical standpoint? I can help you figure out specifics in a bit.

Kenwood DMX7704S + iDataLink Maestro, Stock H/K speakers and amplifier, JL 12W6v3 HO Wedge, JL XD1000/5v2 adding some kick. (Not hooked up yet: Hertz Energy component speakers)

botenredwolf lives in the Audio section of this forum and is a MECP Installer

Like my advice? Buy me a drink:
13nPyPmaUQK4Lp6wz6ikGSH7jBSMB2KKdv (BTC)
0x15dc8d61f72b66fd6df726f678706642d9c70bfc (ETH)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

This is what I received from crutchfield. I’m hooking up a Kicker ZX300.1 amp to the factory radio. This amp is going to power two 10” kicker comp subs in a potted box rated at approx 300 watts rms.

My main thing is can I just unplug the factory amp and splice into the harness that connects between the headunit and the amp or should I splice it in somewhere else?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	260A649F-0CF3-4DC7-AF90-5167FA01180D_1555067338522.png
Views:	12
Size:	979.1 KB
ID:	449763  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:57 AM

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Maybe it's just my simplicity thinking, but why not just use the factory subwoofer sound cables to feed the sound to the new amp, then run speaker cable to the new subwoofers from the Kicker amp? The subwoofer speaker cable would be powered by the factory amp, then amped up by your aftermarket amp to feed the new sub. Or splice in to the low side of the factory sub and jump it over to the new amp to feed the Kicker speakers if all you're looking for is more low end bass.

This would keep the HK amp energizing the speakers and factory sub so you still get the midrange at the rear and your new amp energizing the new box with the lows. As long as you get a good ground on the amp it should give you clarity and all you do is dial the new amp in to blend it.
botenredwolf likes this.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:49 AM

Car: 2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
Garage
That model Kicker is a mono sub amp which has speaker level in as well as RCA in. Leave the HK amp hooked up. Use the subwoofer wires from the HK factory amp as the input signal to the Kicker.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 Thanks for 380,000 miles. (4EAT lost reverse)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:58 AM

Car: 2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited || "1SlickVDC" 2001 Outback H6 VDC
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to botenredwolf Send a message via Skype™ to botenredwolf
I second cardoc, he's right on the money there. Similar to what I did except I have an aftermarket head unit. I'm currently only using my amplifier to power the sub until I can finish installing the wiring for the mains, but the factory HK stuff is quite potent, and I do much enjoy the lower midbass/bass provided by the rear deck woofer, with my JL being able to be crossed over very low for ultra clean deep/low-bass.

Kenwood DMX7704S + iDataLink Maestro, Stock H/K speakers and amplifier, JL 12W6v3 HO Wedge, JL XD1000/5v2 adding some kick. (Not hooked up yet: Hertz Energy component speakers)

botenredwolf lives in the Audio section of this forum and is a MECP Installer

Like my advice? Buy me a drink:
13nPyPmaUQK4Lp6wz6ikGSH7jBSMB2KKdv (BTC)
0x15dc8d61f72b66fd6df726f678706642d9c70bfc (ETH)

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:56 PM

Garage
@Insectazor
If it's not too late consider an amp from Audio Control. They have an adjustable circuit which will compensate for low frequency rolloff as volume increases. Very good to have if upgrading system while keeping factory radio. If you want a 300W look into Audio Control ACM-1.300. They are compact.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoc View Post
Maybe it's just my simplicity thinking, but why not just use the factory subwoofer sound cables to feed the sound to the new amp, then run speaker cable to the new subwoofers from the Kicker amp? The subwoofer speaker cable would be powered by the factory amp, then amped up by your aftermarket amp to feed the new sub. Or splice in to the low side of the factory sub and jump it over to the new amp to feed the Kicker speakers if all you're looking for is more low end bass.

This would keep the HK amp energizing the speakers and factory sub so you still get the midrange at the rear and your new amp energizing the new box with the lows. As long as you get a good ground on the amp it should give you clarity and all you do is dial the new amp in to blend it.
So if you havent guessed by now...i'm a newbie when it comes to car audio install.
Sound like i will keep the hk factory amp plugged in.
I will tap into the sound cables from the factory subwoofer. (using the loc?)
Any of you have pictures of what you've done when installing your subwoofer and amp?
Thank you for your help so far.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:24 PM

Garage
You do not require a Line Output Converter in your case. Only if your amp is RCA input only, which it is not. You will simply be using the speaker level inputs which your Kicker has, to the factory sub speaker wire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: