Lights Won't Turn Off - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lights Won't Turn Off

I have a 1996 Subaru Outback Legacy. Actually my wife bought it when I was gone but that is a different story. I want to fix it but I need to fix this problem first. Whenever I hook up the battery, the headlights come on and will not go off even when turning the switch off. There is a switch on the top of the steering column behind the steering wheel. I have turned the switch both ways and it does not turn the lights off. I read on a Subaru forum that there is a switch by the fuse box located on the driver's side near the floor but did not see any switch there. The only thing that works now is disconnecting the battery. Does anyone know how to find that switch or turn off the lights?

Thanks
GB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:48 AM

Car: Outback 2006 3.0Rn 5EAT Wagon.
Paging @plain OM
Suspect faulty relay if the virgin switch isn't the culprit?

Nikinikitembonosorembooohmamuchigummagummaguchi
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:59 AM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
steering column switch ('virgin' switch) is a control for marker lights only.

this seems more like a combo switch problem?

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 02:43 PM

Car: Winestone Metalic 2000, Seamist Green 2004
If the headlights go off if you apply the parking brake, they may be the Daytime Running Lights.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:36 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have a 1996 Subaru Outback Legacy. Actually my wife bought it when I was gone but that is a different story. I want to fix it but I need to fix this problem first. Whenever I hook up the battery, the headlights come on and will not go off even when turning the switch off.
Is this a 1996 or 1998 as in your earlier post here? And if it's the same car, has this headlight problem been there since the car was first purchased some time ago, or did it appear more recently?

As has already been mentioned, it could be the DRLs, if the car is equipped for DRLs. So, do the headlights come on even if the ignition switch is at Off and the key is out? (DRLs only come on when the engine is running and the parking brake is released.)

When the headlights are on, are the external clearance (front), tail lights, and license plate illumination lights also on?

Quote:
There is a switch on the top of the steering column behind the steering wheel. I have turned the switch both ways and it does not turn the lights off.
That switch can turn on the external parking/running lights when the ignition switch is off. But if we're talking about the headlights, then leave that switch Off. (The red bar on the front of the switch facing the driver should be down/hidden when the switch is Off.)

Quote:
I read on a Subaru forum that there is a switch by the fuse box located on the driver's side near the floor but did not see any switch there. The only thing that works now is disconnecting the battery. Does anyone know how to find that switch or turn off the lights?
Can you provide a link to that post? I've never heard of a switch by the fuse panel that has anything to do with the headlights.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: