Fuse #12 keeps blowing.... - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuse #12 keeps blowing....

Hi everyone, I am new to the Subaru community.
I bought a 2011 outback it has been great but...
It has left us stranded on the side of the road 3 times in the past year. Fuse # 12 blows while driving...car dies and will not restart, replace fuse #12 turn the key, pop just keep blowing fuses, starter doesn't activate, no fuel pump noise. (fuse #12 is integrated unit and automatic transmission). symptoms seem to point to a dead short but my local mechanics are unable to find anything....Question is, can anyone tell me what is tied to Fuse #12, ideas where I should look. I don't know where to begin with tracing or tracking wires sensors etc. All dealers are swamped for a month dealing with recalls. We have parked it.
thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:15 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
The FSM shows fuse #12, 15 Amps, in the cabin fuse panel powers:

A/C Control Module
Body integrated unit
Light control sensor
Transmission Control Module
Engine Control Module
Fuel pump relay
Ignition coil No. 1 (turbo model)
Ignition coil No. 2 (turbo model)
Ignition coil No. 3 (turbo model)
Ignition coil No. 4 (turbo model)

If the fuse blows as soon as the ignition is turned on, then it does sound like a dead short, but, from your post, it also seems to be intermittent. It could be a worn wire that's just touching a ground point.

Perhaps get a factory service manual. They are available from SOA at https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/#/login. $34.95 (U.S.) provides 72 hours of access to the full list of documentation available, including FSMs, Reference Booklets, TSBs, etc. All can be downloaded in pdf file format and saved for use.

Last edited by plain OM; 05-20-2019 at 12:27 PM. Reason: add TCM to the list
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Thx...forgot to mention...fuel pump relay was changed....that is a good start will post findings!
Thx
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:04 PM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
were you turning when it blew out?

any chance of rodent chewing problems?

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

1 lucky Texan, I was turning one time, 1 time driving straight and third while parked at a light...
I was thinking something rubbing in the steering column but no real correlation. Rodent chew is a possibility hope to get deeper into it today.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:21 AM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
yeah, only ever read once of a harness abraded by the little u-joint (Cardan joint?) on the steering column.

plainOM is so helpful - I was gonna post wondering if a short in the body-to-hatch boot could pop that fuse - but with the list he posted, doesn't look like anyting supplied by f-12 goes to the hatch.

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:59 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Lucky Texan View Post
yeah, only ever read once of a harness abraded by the little u-joint (Cardan joint?) on the steering column.

plainOM is so helpful - I was gonna post wondering if a short in the body-to-hatch boot could pop that fuse - but with the list he posted, doesn't look like anyting supplied by f-12 goes to the hatch.
No reports of problems with the wires going to the hatch post-2009. I'm fairly certain that's because the flexible boots between the car body and the hatch are transverse, rather than in-line as on the 2005-9. Being transverse, the wires inside twist longitudinally as the hatch is opened and closed, rather than bending back and forth more-or-less at the same point. For decades, the side doors have had the wires set up to twist rather than bend. The doors, especially the driver's, are opened and closed far more often than the rear hatch yet I have yet to see a case of wires breaking in those door connections.

That fuse supplies power to the "light control sensor" (aka sun load sensor). It's located on the top of the dash, at the front right. It detects light (sun light) coming into the car, and is used to control the HVAC. I believe it's also used when the headlights are set for automatic operation.

Was the 2011 subject to the passenger side airbag recall? I'm wondering if perhaps the wire might have been damaged. Also, I'm not familiar with the sensor, but being on the top of the dash, I could imagine it being damaged, perhaps by liquid used to clean the dash, and perhaps is shorting intermittently. One of the four wires going to the sensor is a ground, so a short between the fused wire and the ground wire would blow the fuse. This could be internal in the sensor, or, in the connector to it.

But this is just speculation at this point . .
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Update...so it's at a mechanic and apparently the ecm has a bunch of stored trouble codes. They are thinking it's either the ecm starting to fail or a wire(s) leasing from panel to ecm that are the culprit......the search continues!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: