Baja Springs for a 2000 Outback Wagon - Page 18 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
post #171 of 427 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 01:05 PM

Car: Lifted '95 Legacy & 03 OBS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack2004 View Post
I am interested in this too. I am wanting to know what kind of lift to expect over a stock 2001 H6 setup.

I found it interesting that when I did the lift on my H4 I got about a 2" lift at the front yet from my reading the H6 only weighs 20lbs more than the H4.
Jack2004

I'm not sure you can lift an H-6 unless you do Kind springs' raised springs, as H-6 is what's used to lift H-4s. I haven't read this entire thread in some time but I'm not even sure Baja springs would lift an H-6.

At any rate, based on this comment,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack2004 View Post
I found it interesting that when I did the lift on my H4 I got about a 2" lift at the front yet from my reading the H6 only weighs 20lbs more than the H4.
it sounds like you've lifted your H-4 by replacing springs etc.

If this is true, do you still have your old front springs, and if so would you consider disposing them my way?
I've been chatting with someone else here, and he provided some great photos of all the parts I would also need (thanks for the help, measurements and photos fh116 ). Essentially spring up to the body.

spring, upper perch, tophat (w/bearing), and upper spring perch rubber seat.

upper spring perch

upper perch rubber seat

front tophat with bearing

*photo credits to fh116*

thanks,
-mark-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 427 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Car: '05 Legacy GT 5MT. '15 Forester XT
Good information, but let's clarify:

H6 has a higher front spring rate which is why it will lift the H4 slightly. The springs are the same for the rear (H6 and H4). To lift an H4 previously, folks would use a combo of H6 for the front and the older rallitek overloads in the rear for an overall lift.

The Baja set up appears to accomplish the lift in the same manner using higher rates. I do not know if they would do much accomplish a lift for the front of a 6, but the rears should accomplish a lift just fine and dandy.

james

2005 Legacy GT 5MT Wagon
2015 Forester XT
post #173 of 427 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 07:10 PM

Car: 09 OBW base => 07 OBXT LTD 5sp
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sorry if this is a hi-jack

Anyone know if the Baja springs would fit Gen 3 (05-09) Outback? Folks with Gen3 OB's are starting to go with Rallitek rears and Gen2 GR2 rear shocks. I'm reading between the lines and think it might be too stiff for what I want, plus doesn't address the front.

I know my 07 springs are thinner diameter (the thickness of the steel) than the Baja's as reported above (p9??). Mine are 0.53 rear and 0.55 front. I have no idea of rate or free length.

What I am after is a more moderate stiffening than the rallitek's. (like 1/2 the 18% increase Rallitek advertizes). I rarely carry a load beyond 50lbs, and am really just looking for a better on-road experience. I don't want a lift, 05-09's already have a raised ride height. I just think a slightly higher rate would improve the ride, along with the stiffer rear shocks.
post #174 of 427 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 01:38 PM

Car: 2001 Outback
Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil1166 View Post
Harbor Freight Tools

I just used one last night. Worked good. Easy. If it only lasts through one set, who cares, it was 15 bucks.
I used one last night. It broke on the second set of coils. I was lucky I didn’t' get hurt as it broke while I was almost done decompressing the spring. Any earlier would have been disastrous. I ended up borrowing some from a neighbor. The Harbor Freight set is not a bolt. There is a nut on the end fixed in place by two rivots. These backed out a bit from the vibration and the nut quickly backed out and off while still under tension. I wouldn’t buy a set even at the on sale price of $9.95 online.

My neighbor's set was designed around a grade 8 bolt. No risk of the head coming off.

Just my $0.02.
post #175 of 427 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 12:53 AM

Car: 2001 Outback L.L. Bean
Question: From what I am reading here, if I want to get rid of the "saggy butt syndrome" (SBS) on my H-6. I could use the standard springs in the front, and the Baja's in the back? I don't really want to lift the whole thing too much.

Has anyone done the Baja's and the swaybar? I know Rallitek does not recommend the overloads and the sway's together, but the Baja's would be a little less aggressive than the overloads I would think.

BB.
post #176 of 427 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Car: '05 Legacy GT 5MT. '15 Forester XT
Bart, I think a set of Baja rears will eliminate your issue with the sag. Changing your fronts won't be necessary.

I , along with a couple other folks around here, also have the Baja rsb. You can read about mine in the Gallery: My 2000 Outback project.

james

2005 Legacy GT 5MT Wagon
2015 Forester XT
post #177 of 427 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 02:00 PM

Car: 01 Outback LL Bean
Bart (And Everyone else),

Starting in 2002, Subaru increased the ground clearance of the H6 (H6 only) outback from 7.3 to 7.9 inches. When people talk about getting H6 springs to raise their H4, they are talking about the 2002+ H6 springs. There seems to be alot of confusion about what Baja springs will do to an H6 and it depends on what year H6 you have.

Bart, you have an 2001 which means you have the same height of a regular H4 (7.3") If you put in 2002+ H6 springs you will go up ~.6" (7.9"), and if you put in Baja springs you will raise up ~1.1" (8.4" total clearance)

I don't know what the effect will be if you put Baja in the rear. Since you have 2001 H6 springs, then you might get a 1.1" lift in the rear and nothing in the front. You might want to put 2002 H6 springs in the rear which will raise you .6".
post #178 of 427 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 03:13 PM

Car: 2001 Outback L.L. Bean
Good info Glennda.

I really don't care to raise the back much, the .6 would be fine, I am really more after the stiffer/more responsive ride. The lift is just a little bonus. I don't want it to look jacked up however.

BB.
post #179 of 427 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 12:01 PM

Car: Lifted '95 Legacy & 03 OBS
Question on Subaru's groung clearance definition

Does anyone definitively know whaere the "minimum ground clearance" measure is taken ?

I've always wondered where Subaru is taking this measure. Is it to the bottom of the cat, the "Y" pipe, the body, the bottom of the rear sway bar link?

Does anyone know, becuae this will help everyone clarify their gain for comparison. I know a lot of people (myslef included) does ground to top of fender line, rear diff, cat, Y pipe, wheel center to top of fender line, etc.

While these measures are convenient for comparison, tires and other variable affect these numbers. It would be nice to know the "official" measurement location to know the overall gain from stock after spring, strut, tire mods, etc.

Thanks,
-mw-

post #180 of 427 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 12:22 PM

Car: '00 Legacy OBW Ltd
A quick search in the 2003 Service Manual (H6 section contained the ground clearance info) cites following:

Therefore, the catalytic converter is the lowest point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: