Subaru Outback Forums banner

Is the rear swaybar fitment for the 2018 model the same as 2017 or other 5th Gen's?

19K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  walker 
#1 ·
Hi all. I am interested in upgrading the rear swaybar on my new 2018 2.5i and wanted to double check fitment before ordering the part. Will it be the same fitment as the 2017 model? And please chime in if you have any specific recommendations!!

I have done this mod on all of my prior Subarus and have been extremely pleased with the choice to do so. I would love to reduce the body roll I experienced on my test drives.

Thanks!

Robmat

#6 ·
Hello;

I just got my 1st outback (3.6R limited) and I am curious to know how well it works with the 2018s. While researching the forums, someone mentioned that the suspension had been re-tuned for this year. Since I don't have a previous Outback to compare, my question is: are you guys pleased with the upgrade for your 2018 models?

Thanks for your patience, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to subarus.
:)

#8 ·
After looking at you-tube installations of the RSB, it is obvious that this is not a project for an octogenarian lacking in agility and tools to do it. Does anyone in the SFBayArea know of a nearby independent shop who will take on that task if I provide the factory part???? TIA

#12 ·
19mm bar I purchased is shorter

I purchased the 19mm rear sway bar from Subaruonlineparts dot com for my 2018 Outback 3.6R. When I removed the original bar, I figured I would measure each eye to eye it see if they were same length. The 19mm I purchased is about 1/2 inch shorter. I put the 16mm bar back on. Any opinion if ok to use the shorter 19mm. I was uncertain so I figured safest thing was put original back on until I can seek out answers. Thanks.

#13 ·
I purchased the 19mm rear sway bar from Subaruonlineparts dot com for my 2018 Outback 3.6R. When I removed the original bar, I figured I would measure each eye to eye it see if they were same length. The 19mm I purchased is about 1/2 inch shorter. I put the 16mm bar back on. Any opinion if ok to use the shorter 19mm. I was uncertain so I figured safest thing was put original back on until I can seek out answers. Thanks.
It's fine, Put your 19mm upgrade on. The ball and socket end links have enough flexibilty to make up for 1/4' either side. It's narrower because is from the WRX chassis which is narrower and more compact.

I will give you an example from the Gen3. WhiteLine makes aftermarket larger diameter bars for the car. They are also a full 1" wider, both front and rear. The stock ball and socket endlinks have no problems. I have even run solid links and they are tight, but will still accommodate the wider bar.

Feel free to use either rear bar. Either way, order up some of these ....

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...6-subaru-specialty-products-tdck-cke-ssp.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173069070391?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173070690381?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Or as others are suggesting, go with the high performance series in 85d.

#19 ·
Just some thoughts after having installed the 19mm sway bar and a front SSD strut tower brace. I feel like the pieces compliment each other and result in a more neutral and predictable feel while driving. The body roll is reduced and the steering now, somehow, feels better than without the parts installed. The car tracked through corners and held its line well. It made a drive through the mountains easy and enjoyable!

#22 ·
Ordered the 19MM RSB and bushing's today from my purchasing dealer and with my 10% off on all part's and accessories I will be saving at least $20 versus ordering online. Part's should be here Thursday and hope to get it installed Thursday evening or Friday. We previously have owned BMW, Volvo's leading to my wife complaining that the Outback swayed to much making lane changes and in highway crosswind's after the first couple week's. She very quickly without any hesitation gave her approval to swapping out the stock RSB for the heavier one. Hopefully the 19mm RSB is enough to keep her happy.

#25 ·
For the occasional off roader am I giving up too much going with the 19mm sway bar?
No ... Especially, when you are off-roading ... you usually have extra weight? Passengers/Payload, correct? With that said, upgrading just the bushing could be all you need.

#28 ·
Circling back to OP. Is fitment on 2018 different? I am wanting to upgrade to the 20mm RSB (2018 2.5i Limited), but SubaruPartsPros fitment says the 20mm (20451VA000-20464VA000-x2) is compatible with 2017 and 2019, but not 2018. Anyone know why? Is there an other 20mm available?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.