center caps for steel rims? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2009 Outback 2.5i Manual
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
center caps for steel rims?

Looking for a bolt on center caps (what would be an old school hub cap - not a wheel cover) for my 5x100 OEM 16" steelies so I can go commando in the snow. They don't seem to exist.

'09 2.5i Manual
77k miles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wagon & a 2.5 Limited Sedan
don't double post.

updated thread title

@Fibber2 is one member I remember that runs steel rimmed snow tires. there are others though

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Did I do that somehow? I did post in 2 forums.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xctrout View Post
Did I do that somehow? I did post in 2 forums.
yep,

and I deleted the one in the 2005-2009 section,...as steel rims can go on any year.

...double posting like that mucks up the board, and gives you worse responses in the long run. as the respondents can read each others posts and critique or augment those thoughts.

(one problem on one car = one thread).

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

OK...not everyone reads the every forum though.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xctrout View Post
OK...not everyone reads the every forum though.
here they do,.

the ones that read only one specific sections are like people who just bought a 2015-18 and it is their first subaru,...and they don't know or care about anything other then their new to them car,...

before they dump it for something cleaner, vs. washing it

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 01:20 PM

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
@xctrout: I run the steelie center bare, couldn't be bothered to look for a cap. I haven't seen any performance differences because of it, cuts through snow quite well!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 03:29 PM

Car: 2018 Outback 3.6R Touring Dark Blue Pearl, 2018 Crosstrek 2.0i CVT, 2017 Impreza 2.0i CVT, 2016 WRX 6MT ST2 FF
I just searched ebay for center caps that were close to the size I needed and used good quality electrical tape to attach them. Not perfect, but heck I'm running steel wheels anyway. I also like the juxtaposition of OZ Racing caps on plain steel wheels.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Yeah. I was going to do something like that with some old Subie wheel caps I picked up. Was hoping for something like this old MoPar replica or VW cap. I'm going to paint the wheels, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WR3.jpg
Views:	3949
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	376969   Click image for larger version

Name:	mryccd-sw-acc-0012_3.png
Views:	279
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	376977  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 08:13 AM

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
@Fibber2 is one member I remember that runs steel rimmed snow tires. there are others though
Not on the Subi(s). I've bought alloys as part of a winter wheel/tire package from Tirerack for both Outbacks. I ran steel (and hated it...) with full wheel covers on my old Odyssey van, and put OEM steel wheels (take-off's) with winter tires on my daughter's 2013 Honda CRV LX AWD, as that little 'ute came with steel anyhow.

I hate rusty steel wheels.....

Here's another option. While I've had no issues with picking a nice wheel from Tirerack's huge assortment, there is a risk in going low volume custom. Should you damage one a few years down the road, best of luck finding a replacement as they renew styles every 2-3 years.

OEM wheels are expensive... Takeoffs or junk yard rims take some hunting and maybe travel to acquire. For the 2015 Sienna, I went a different route - replica wheels. If your vehicle is more than a few years old and was in an accident, you'd have to fight to get true OEM wheels. Most likely your Insurance Company would try to force either restored/remanufactured wheels (stripped, curb rash repair & repaint), or aftermarket copies (replica). In most cases they are ringers for the original, as these big Asian plants pump out replicas alongside OEM wheels. The casting marks on the inside spokes of my Toyota rims were virtually identical to the originals, and about a third the price.

These are a bit more expensive copies, but it gives you a taste of what's out there.

http://www.hubcaphaven.com/c/733/sub...eels_rims.html

2002 OBW base model with automatic. Added: CD player, Security System, tweeters & subwoofer, trailer hitch, lighting mods, cabin filters, hood deflector, drivers lumbar mods, winter tires.
2014 OBW Premium, CVT & Moonroof. Added: trailer hitch, lighting mods, upgraded horn, winter tire/wheel/TPMS package.

Last edited by Fibber2; 10-06-2017 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Added more detail....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: