Subaru Outback Forums banner

next set of tires

9K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  base_nine 
#1 ·
I'm driving a 2105 Outback now with about 36,000 plus miles. I have some tread left so I'm not in a huge rush to get mew tires but I am trying to have as much info as possible so I can pull the trigger on a new set when necessary. I had to go to a Mavis Discount Tire store to fix a flat and they thought the Cooper Evolution Tour ( Treadwear -580, Traction- A , Temperature A) was a good possibility. Said they were selling a lot of those to Outback owners here in the New York City area. I'm not one to succumb to the "most popular" or "our biggest seller" line from salesmen for anything so am looking to this forum for guidance. I dont go off road driving at this point but want a tire thats relatively quiet and handles well. We don't get huge amounts of snow in New York City although I drive all over. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks all, and have a safe new year.

#3 ·
Dryvby- I just checked what I have on the car now- Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport AS, 100H M+S, Tread wear-500, Traction-A, Temp-A. So I will cdrtainly keep Micheline in mind. The reason I bought an Outback was that my kids borrow the car, sometimes to go snowboarding up in Vermont and now they use it to transport their new kids around. Safety First! Anyway, just want to get the best/quietest tire thaqt makes sense for us. Thanks for your input.

#4 ·
I’m very happy with the General Altimax RT43. Had a set (briefly) on my Forester and my wife has them on her Impreza. Decent all season, has good reviews for snow. I just put them on my ‘17, they are terrific in the rain, but we’ve had no snow in the NYC area yet so am holding off on final opinion. I didn’t see the need for a “real” snow tire, might have gone with Blizzaks or the Yokohama Geolander if I lived in Vermont or upstate.

The General is significantly cheaper than a Michelin and about as good a review.

Got mine at Mavis, paid $768 with a 4 wheel alignment.

#7 ·
I’m very happy with the General Altimax RT43. Had a set (briefly) on my Forester and my wife has them on her Impreza. Decent all season, has good reviews for snow. I just put them on my ‘17, they are terrific in the rain, but we’ve had no snow in the NYC area yet so am holding off on final opinion. I didn’t see the need for a “real” snow tire, might have gone with Blizzaks or the Yokohama Geolander if I lived in Vermont or upstate.
Had these in the snow this weekend in Wash. DC, which got a 6 inch storm last night. Alexandria VA takes its time getting their plows out and about and I was all over the town last night and this morning. On ice and in the deeper stuff and I was very pleased with the performance of the Generals. No breaking of traction at start up and very good stopping control. HUGE improvement over the stock Bridgetones and I’m glad I went with these as opposed to a dedicated winter tire. These pretty much do what I need for the region I live in.

#11 ·
when my OEM bridgestones take a ****- ill be going with the nokian WRG-4s.. theyre the only tire ive seen rated for severe winter use. im looking for a tire that i can run all season and be reliable come winter in MD when its iffy when it comes to snow. take a look at them, the WRG-3 has great reviews

OEM size isnt listed for this tire, but im planning on going with a 245/55r18 thats a tad wider but same diameter

#15 ·
I put a set of Yokohama Geolandar GS015's on my '16 3.6R 2 weeks ago - 235/60/18 107H, Extra Load, 600 A B.

I went based both on the rave reviews, and my needs: all weather use (three peak/snowflake rated), light off roading, more rugged looks and a good price.

I am pleased all the way around, and highly recommend them ?

Attachments

#16 ·
your data under your avatar shows a 2008 LLBean, you can click the link next to the questionmark in my signature and fix that about my car section if you scroll down

but for continuitiy of old posts you should leave a 2008 LL Bean in a signature as a past car. (such shows people looking for help on old posts what you had).

#18 ·
Today I went to my local DT for a 6k balance and rotation. The tires are the Michelin Premier AS that have been on for roughly 34k miles.

After doing the tread depth measurement, the service advisor said don't bother with the rotation since the are close to being done with 4/32 left and it will be close to 3 in another 6k.

Since they have a 60k warranty and didn't come close, the warranty will kick in and result in a $358 credit. So here's the kicker that makes DT a great place to deal with.

If you make a warranty claim directly to Michelin, you will get a high pro rata amount however it applies against the MSRP of the new tires and not against the best or sale price. Since tires are often on sale or discounted, Michelin doesn't really offer a great warranty since you have to use it another one of their products but DT is different and in a good way.

The warranty is through DT and they give the pro rata credit against any brand tire and not just Michelin.

The service writer said low mileage is common on these tires and I'm not the first to say they love the tires but they don't last.

I'm going with the Pirelli P7 Cinturado All Season Plus and they'll be in tomorrow for installation on Friday. I already know the price - $568 - after the credit and this is a good deal.

Not the best tires in constant wet conditions but very good however in all other categories, they are an exceptional tire and perform very well in the snow even thought they don't have the 3 Peaks rating.

70k warranty so the next tire adventure begins on Friday.

#21 ·
Another vote for the Altimax RT43. A shockingly good tire, and cheap.

Keep in mind that I have a dedicated set for the winter. Unless you have actual snow and ice on a regular basis, all season tires perform better than winters even in cold, dry conditions.

#23 ·
The Altimax RT43 are very good in the snow, this will be the 3rd winter with them. Consumer Reports even mentioned that although they don't have the Snow-Flake on the Mountain emblem, they perform as well as several of the 'Winter Tires' they tested. (The Touring or 'T' rated tires performed better than the performance variant, just an FYI).

#24 ·
I've always liked Michelin tires. I've had the LTX on my '99 Durango and my wife's MY05 Forester had the Premier A/S.
Since we live in Central Minnesota, this time I had the Nokian WRG4 installed on her car. I am very impressed with them. The grip and control on snow and ice far exceeds my expectation. And they were great in the wet earlier in the fall. They are almost as quiet as the Michelins which were in turn were far quieter than the OE tires.

I'm planning on putting the WRG4's on my MY17 Outback when the OE tires wear out. Other tires on my list are the Toyo Celsius and the Yokohama. I have friends in Germany who swear by the Michelin Cross Climate, but I don't know much about them except that they are directional and you can only rotate them front to back and not across the axle. Based on tire wear, I'll probably have to decide in the fall of 2019.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.