Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums (https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires, Brakes, & Suspension (https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/)
-   -   Insurance wants to replace a single tire after collision (https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/504451-insurance-wants-replace-single-tire-after-collision.html)

TwoFortyJeff 01-09-2019 05:50 PM

Insurance wants to replace a single tire after collision

I was in a collision where the other vehicle damaged the sidewall of a single tire beyond repair. However, their insurnace estimate only wants to replace one tire. They claimed Subaru recommends but does not require the same tire pattern and wear/diameter. Of course none of the tire shops will only do a single tire on a suabru for that reason. Has anyone has success convincing insurance otherwise?

The current tires are a matching set. They have 30k miles and are rated for 80k so the diameters definitely won't match up.

Evil Soob 01-09-2019 06:28 PM

Everything I've read says all tires must be replaced at the same time and routinely rotated to ensure even wear of all tires. Which made me wonder, what if I have a flat? Can I use my spare? On older models, you can remove a fuse which converts to front wheel drive but to my knowledge, the Gen 3 on up doesn't have that option.

You'll probably need to get some verification from a reliable source on replacement of the other tires.

BTIBob 01-09-2019 06:38 PM

All 4 tires need to match.... Size, tread depth and tread pattern. If they don't catastrophic transmission damages will occur.

brucep 01-09-2019 06:59 PM

I replaced a single tire with around 5K miles on the odometer. I felt that the other tires were not worn enough to be of consequence.

Insurance is only responsible to "make you whole"... oftentimes you need to spend some money also.

For example, when tree fell on my house... sure Insurance covers a lot of the repairs... but I had some out-of-pocket expenses which should be done while the house is torn apart for repairs.

eagleeye 01-09-2019 07:03 PM

you could have a large tire shop shave the new tire down to match what you got.

discount tire direct and tire rack also do it and ship you the tire for a local garage to install.

edit: @Discount Tire about how much does this service cost ? (this thread exists here many times,...with the subaru "all tires the same mantra")

Brucey 01-09-2019 07:33 PM

Convincing the insurance to shave your tire sounds like the best option. Followed by doing it yourself.

eagleeye 01-09-2019 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucey (Post 5758545)
Convincing the insurance to shave your tire sounds like the best option. Followed by doing it yourself.

you might want to rephrase that.

like the subaru owner paying for the shaving even if the insurance company knows or cares of such a endeavor,

vs. ...doing the subaru owner shaving as a DIY.

z28dug 01-09-2019 09:29 PM

Has anyone actually measured the tires tread depth to see how close you are to the Subaru tolerance level?

TwoFortyJeff 01-09-2019 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z28dug (Post 5758599)
Has anyone actually measured the tires tread depth to see how close you are to the Subaru tolerance level?

You measure circumference actually. The difference should be within .25 inches. It'll be out of spec for sure.

Shaving might work, but the current tires are no longer made.

dukey33 01-09-2019 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagleeye (Post 5758597)
... shaving as a DIY.

That used to be relatively easy to do with V8 torque and an open differential. :20: