Testing All Terrains versus Snow Tires - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Car: '17 3.6 Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Testing All Terrains versus Snow Tires

So this past summer I picked myself up a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3's 245/65/17 to replace the BFG KO2's and factory all seasons.

I've been pretty happy with them. They ride a lot better than the KO2's and honestly are a good compromise tire for my uses even if they likely aren't as durable than the KO2's.

I also have a set of dedicated winter tires. They are Michelin X Ice 3 in 225/60/18. The Factory size.

The Falken's have a severe snow duty rating on them. The 3 peak mountain snow flake symbol. This made me consider selling the snow tires and just having one set to run year around.

Today I got a good chance to test the all terrains and the winters back to back.

It wasn't the most scientific testing I've ever done but we did try to be consistent.

After testing it showed what I pretty much already knew based on what little driving on snow I have done with the Falkens.

Simply put they SUCK on ice. We only had around an inch of snow but temperatures were around 25F the entire time.

I could have been driving on bald summer tires and not noticed a difference. I slid pulling out of my driveway and bumped the sidewalk.

The 3 peak mountain snow flake symbol is a joke. The fact that something that handles this bad gets rated as 'severe duty snow' just makes me doubt the entire standard. Why go through the trouble of getting a tire rated for snow.

I'll be keeping my winter tires for the foreseeable future.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 05:39 PM

Car: 2010 2.5 CVT Premium
Not surprising. Modern snow tires benefit from tech in the rubber compounding that give them amazing grip on icy surfaces. It's not just aggressive tread patterns anymore.
Looks like a fun day except for all that coldness. Brrrr.

Brucey likes this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33 View Post
Not surprising. Modern snow tires benefit from tech in the rubber compounding that give them amazing grip on icy surfaces. It's not just aggressive tread patterns anymore.
Looks like a fun day except for all that coldness. Brrrr.
More than anything I'm disappointed that "Severe Snow Duty" means basically nothing.

There are All Seasons that lack that symbol that handle snow better than this.

Falken rates their AT3's as performing "4/5" on snow as well.

If this is 4/5 on snow then the rest of their scale is suspect too.

@MiddleAgeSubie any thoughts?
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 02:36 PM

Car: 2013 OB 3.6R (former)
Not much. We used them on 4 trails (1 difficult, 2 moderate, 1 easy) in about 1 inch of snow and had zero issues. The nastiest spot we drove on those was not covered by snow, thankfully, but my tires were. I got a bit of a spin even with the rear locker and Rock mode. But that spot is above Subaru grade. Elsewhere we never had any issues but we were also driving in fresh snow.

So I cannot really tell. The test would be to drive where others have been. We did encounter this on a steep rocky hill at the start of another trail and simply backed off that trail. There is no point in taking chances.

On road, we drove maybe 30-40 miles in falling snow with a thin snow cover. Did not have issues in 2wd. In Grand Junction, we faced a typical snow situation in an urban environment and in 2wd it was simply painful. Parking lots were snow covered and in 4x4 I had no issues at all.

Current: 2008 Tribeca, 2018 4Runner TRD OP (well-armored)
Former: 2013 H6 5 EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ, 2006 B9, 1995 Legacy wagon
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:06 PM

Car: 2019 2.5i Limited PZEV, EyeSight, Magnetite Gray Metallic, Black Interior
I don't think it's a secret that snow <> ice. The "severe snow rated" tires are just that, rated for better snow traction. Many dedicated winter tires use design elements that go beyond snow traction and provide better ice grip. So the fact that a tire with a mountain/snowflake symbol does poorly on ice should be no surprise.

One site spoke with a testing facility that certifies tires and this section of the test conditions should be telling:

Quote:
The snow has to be medium pack snow. Smithers uses natural snow that falls at their site during their December to April testing season. Medium pack snow—neither hard-packed nearing icy, nor too soft and powdery—really puts winter tires to the test for snow traction because the tread can bite into it. If need be, the test team uses their specialized snow preparation tools to move snow around and break it up to create the perfect medium pack snow.
They go on to specify that the symbol is awarded based on a tire's performance relative to a control tire, not an absolute performance metric.

In short, if you live where ice is common, buy winter tires. Luckily, in 26+ years of driving in New England I rarely encounter ice for more than a few hundred yards here and there.

Mods:
- Curt 2" Receiver Hitch
- Husky front & rear floor liners
- LED interior & exterior bulbs (backup, license plate, door puddle)
- Method MR 501 wheels, Titanium gray w/ Yokohama Geolandar G015 225/65R17
- Optima Yellowtop Group 34 battery
- PIAA Solar Yellow 2500 fog lamps

RIP 2016 Outback 2.5 Limited; totaled 10/14/18

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpySquatch View Post
I don't think it's a secret that snow <> ice. The "severe snow rated" tires are just that, rated for better snow traction. Many dedicated winter tires use design elements that go beyond snow traction and provide better ice grip. So the fact that a tire with a mountain/snowflake symbol does poorly on ice should be no surprise.

One site spoke with a testing facility that certifies tires and this section of the test conditions should be telling:

They go on to specify that the symbol is awarded based on a tire's performance relative to a control tire, not an absolute performance metric.

In short, if you live where ice is common, buy winter tires. Luckily, in 26+ years of driving in New England I rarely encounter ice for more than a few hundred yards here and there.
From your link:

"This is why it’s always best to outfit your vehicle with quality winter tires or all-weather tires to ensure you’re going to get the performance you need in winter conditions.

When you’re looking for superior safety, be sure to look for winters that bear the severe service mountain snowflake winter tire symbol so you’ll get proper traction at temperatures between 7 C and freezing extremes."

Link on Tire Rack for more info on the symbol.

"...tires that attain a traction index equal to, or greater than 110 (compared to a reference tire which is rated 100) "

I think that's what irks me about this entire thing.

I bought these A/T tires and have been very happy with them as an 'all the time' tire.

Because they also had the snowflake symbol I assumed that they would do well in winter.

I was even considering selling the dedicated winter tires I have and clearing up some garage space. I'm glad I didn't.

It's truly a night and day difference driving the A/T's versus the Winters mounted.

The snowflake symbol standards are so low that it's essentially useless.

Or maybe I'm just a stickler.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 06:19 PM
Rub

Car: 2016 3.6 Limited with ES
Last Friday I put on a set of P7 Cinturado All Season Plus that have the M&S rating but not the 3 Peak. In theory, they should do much poorer against 3 Peak however that is not the case.

Tirerack tested my new tires against 3 others that have the 3 Peak rating and surprise surprise! The P7 outperformed the dedicated 3 Peak in a number of winter metrics.

So it's not that symbol stamped on the tire but how the tire does. You can have the M&S symbol as a minimum standard but nothing prohibts the tires from handling even better, without the 3 Peak rating.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:41 AM

Car: '17 Outback 3.6R Limited, '05 Forester
Brucey, thank you for sharing your huge knowledge. Love your videos and I've subscribed to your YouTube channel.
Brucey likes this.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:59 AM
Rub

Car: 2016 3.6 Limited with ES
Quote:
Originally Posted by base_nine View Post
Brucey, thank you for sharing your huge knowledge. Love your videos and I've subscribed to your YouTube channel.
That kind of talk only encourages him.
Brucey likes this.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 12:06 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWGLMqUSm0U&

So this past summer I picked myself up a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3's 245/65/17
What is the 4 digit date code stamped on the sidewall occurring sometime after "DOT" (it's usually only on one side, not both).

H6 OBW VDC, H6 OB Sedan, Tribeca, Lifted XT6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: