Tire TPMS! Help. Need advice - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:10 PM

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It looks like those are the right sensors (315 mhz) for your year Outback.

You don't 'program the sensors'. The sensors are programmed at the factory, and you upload the codes to the TPMS computer on your car so that the sensor's broadcast is recognized by the car. If that is done right, and if the sensors report tire pressure within spec (greater than 30 psi or so), then the car turns off the TPMS dash light.

You need the codes of each sensor (which I cannot read from your ebay ad), or find a shop that can ping the sensors and capture the 4 codes, then upload those codes. It sounds like the dealer you went to had no idea what they were doing.

Find another shop, then ask the first one for your money back.

2002 OBW base model with automatic. Added: CD player, Security System, tweeters & subwoofer, trailer hitch, lighting mods, cabin filters, hood deflector, drivers lumbar mods, winter tires.
2014 OBW Premium, CVT & Moonroof. Added: trailer hitch, lighting mods, upgraded horn, winter tire/wheel/TPMS package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5 CVT
I did try other shops and they all pointed me to dealer bc they couldnít get it to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 09:10 PM

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
OK, you need to spend some time in one of those shops and go thru this process step by step and report the data so that we can see where the process is failing.

With a handheld tool, walk around the car and ping each sensor. Each wheel sensor should report back at minimum the unique ID code, the tire pressure and battery status (hopefully you get an OK). You probably won't get a temperature readout. The sensors should respond within 10 seconds or so. If they don't, try again. If they are really slow, you might have a bad sensor.

Photograph the tool screen or write the numbers down.

Try uploading those 4 codes thru the OBD port. Then try your reader tool and see if they are really retained.

If you've successfully uploaded 4 codes that match the wheel sensors, the process can start successfully. When you begin to drive, the 4 sensors will wake up and begin periodically transmitting data. Assuming they measure and report proper air pressure, the onboard system should indicate that all is good, and the dash light will go out. Under normal circumstances this will happen within 2 miles of driving at speeds above 30 mph.
martin_j001 and Rad Dad like this.

2002 OBW base model with automatic. Added: CD player, Security System, tweeters & subwoofer, trailer hitch, lighting mods, cabin filters, hood deflector, drivers lumbar mods, winter tires.
2014 OBW Premium, CVT & Moonroof. Added: trailer hitch, lighting mods, upgraded horn, winter tire/wheel/TPMS package.

Last edited by Fibber2; 03-07-2019 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Added more detail.....
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 10:47 PM

Car: 2019 Subaru Outback Premium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twan View Post
I did try other shops and they all pointed me to dealer bc they couldnít get it to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber2 View Post
OK, you need to spend some time in one of those shops and go thru this process step by step and report the data so that we can see where the process is failing.

With a handheld tool, walk around the car and ping each sensor. Each wheel sensor should report back at minimum the unique ID code, the tire pressure and battery status (hopefully you get an OK). You probably won't get a temperature readout. The sensors should respond within 10 seconds or so. If they don't, try again. If they are really slow, you might have a bad sensor.

Try uploading those 4 codes thru the OBD port. Then try your reader tool and see if they are really retained.
@Fibber2, you're very helpful and I hope @Twan can get this going and report back.
Fibber2 likes this.

2019 Subaru Outback Premium | Stock
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 08:46 AM

I try to be, Dad!

While I very strongly believe in the benefit of TPMS, the implementation really sucks. It requires skill, knowledge and tooling that few have. I've made the investment with 3 vehicles in the household (12 winter tires!), so I try and assist when possible.
martin_j001 and Rad Dad like this.

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Thank you again. I will stop by shop tomorrow afternoon. I work 12hrs tonight. Canít really make any plans.

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:58 PM

Car: 2019 Outback 2.5L
Where are you located?

2015 Crosstrek
2019 Outback - Primitive Lift, King Springs, 245/65/17 BFG Advantage
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

South Carolina

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber2 View Post

If you've successfully uploaded 4 codes that match the wheel sensors, the process can start successfully. When you begin to drive, the 4 sensors will wake up and begin periodically transmitting data. Assuming they measure and report proper air pressure, the onboard system should indicate that all is good, and the dash light will go out. Under normal circumstances this will happen within 2 miles of driving at speeds above 30 mph.

Ok. So I went to shop today and they did exactly what you said had to be done. I worked with them very closely they were super chill and did not mind my input. They pinged the unique code and then uploaded it thru OBD port. There scan tool said everything was successful. They tried many times but still light on. Even after driving 30+ miles. They said my TPMS module might be bad. Iím trying to find one online that could Mayb replace.

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

So everything checks out. My TPMS sending out signal and module is reading it. Why do I still have light ??? You guys know where the location of module is ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: