TireRack and taxes on internet sales - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MiamiC70

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TireRack and taxes on internet sales

For your information guys, Tirerack is now charging taxes to most internet buyers, depending on your state, sales tax may vary. In NY I get charged full state tax regardless of where in the US. I spoke with a representative from TireRack over the phone on 3/21/19 and he said the Supreme court ruled that all internet sellers must charge sales tax as of six months ago.

A set of rims I wanted would have cost me $553 shipped now costs $600, and if you want to pick up the rims or tires from a close by depot you will save on pickup fees but taxes still apply. Some common sense tells me free shipping is been paid by the buyer. I also posted this on other sites.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:57 AM

Car: 2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
They are not charging it they are just now collecting it. Your state sales tax has always been owed but most people never paid it. Now it is just more convenient for you to pay what you owe.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danver View Post
They are not charging it they are just now collecting it. Your state sales tax has always been owed but most people never paid it. Now it is just more convenient for you to pay what you owe.
Yep, something lots of folks have a hard time understanding. I live in MD but regularly make purchases in DE, which has no sales tax.

I would hope no one actually believes there is such a thing as free shipping. Someone, somewhere is paying for it. UPS doesn't deliver for free.

"Another Brick In The Wall", PF 1979
"Happiness Is A Warm Gun", Beatles 1968
"The Rubber Banned Man",Spinners 1976
2011 SS Camaro
1984 Corvette
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:25 AM

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
When you file your NYS Income Tax forms, there is (has been for 10 years) a line regarding your 'avoided' NYS Sales Tax obligation. You are required to make good on what you didn't pay, either thru a stated amount based on actual sales, or by claiming a "Safe Haven" amount based on your income and an estimate. Skipping this line is considered tax evasion, punishable by public floggings, boiling in oil, etc.

NYS is forcing merchants to comply (Amazon is an example - sued by the NYS Attorney General).

Net: It won't be long before this is unavoidable nation-wide.

2002 OBW base model with automatic. Added: CD player, Security System, tweeters & subwoofer, trailer hitch, lighting mods, cabin filters, hood deflector, drivers lumbar mods, winter tires.
2014 OBW Premium, CVT & Moonroof. Added: trailer hitch, lighting mods, upgraded horn, winter tire/wheel/TPMS package.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:39 AM

Car: 2013 OBP Forester XT
Garage
I prefer to see the line.... "Shipping included" versus "Free Shipping"

Either way I know I am paying for it. But at least the vendor isn't trying to be too obvious in duping the customers with marketing tactics.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:44 AM

Car: 16 outback, 18 crosstrek, 05 wrangler, 81 corvette, 74 TR6
This will help in wanting to buy local....I bought a full set of big tires for my Wrangler from DTD last year, they were cheaper than anywhere local but the no sales tax was the icing on the cake.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:44 PM

Garage
TireRack has had terrible pricing for years and I can routinely beat thier prices locally. That is why I have been shopping at Discount Tires Direct. No taxes, no freight and good prices.

Tires are a consumable therefore I want them at the cheapest I can possibly get them.
HeyChris likes this.

2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited Crystal White Pearl w/ Slate Black leather interior, 5% tints all around, yellow Lamin-X fog light film, Diode Dynamics Cool White ledís throughout cabin. JDM storage tray.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:09 AM

Car: 2008 OB Limited 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber2 View Post
Net: It won't be long before this is unavoidable nation-wide.
Except in Oregon, Montana, Alaska, New Hampshire, and Delaware.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:54 AM

Car: '19 Outback Touring 3.6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnre View Post
Except in Oregon, Montana, Alaska, New Hampshire, and Delaware.

Don't let them know we're special!

Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: