My local dealer wants $250 to mount, balance tires and reset TPMS! - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:50 PM

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiC70 View Post
I was just going to use the old sensors. Going to sell old rims anyway and have no intentions of going back to factory rims ever.
Then you have absolutely no need for a TPMS reset. Go to any tire shop. Move the senders over to the new wheels and get your tires mounted.

subiesailor and MiamiC70 like this.

2002 OBW base model with automatic. Added: CD player, Security System, tweeters & subwoofer, trailer hitch, lighting mods, cabin filters, hood deflector, drivers lumbar mods, winter tires.
2014 OBW Premium, CVT & Moonroof. Added: trailer hitch, lighting mods, upgraded horn, winter tire/wheel/TPMS package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:34 PM

Yep no need to program anything all your doing is moving the sensors over to different wheels.

Just be forewarned that some after market wheels don’t play nice with Subarus others have had vibration from the aftermarket wheels and ended up sending them back. So do some highway testing right away with it after you get setup

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber2 View Post
Then you have absolutely no need for a TPMS reset. Go to any tire shop. Move the senders over to the new wheels and get your tires mounted.
So, I guess just have shop swap out TPMS and install in same location on new set of rims. I.e. right rear old rim -> right rear new rim?

Do the TPMS Auto calibrate to new pressures / volume?

2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited Crystal White Pearl w/ Slate Black leather interior, 5% tints all around, yellow Lamin-X fog light film, Diode Dynamics Cool White ledís throughout cabin. JDM storage tray.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
Yep no need to program anything all your doing is moving the sensors over to different wheels.

Just be forewarned that some after market wheels donít play nice with Subarus others have had vibration from the aftermarket wheels and ended up sending them back. So do some highway testing right away with it after you get setup
Vibration? These Motegi are hubcentric and Iíll be making sure rings are installed and properly torqued by hand.

2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited Crystal White Pearl w/ Slate Black leather interior, 5% tints all around, yellow Lamin-X fog light film, Diode Dynamics Cool White ledís throughout cabin. JDM storage tray.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:28 PM

Car: '14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiC70 View Post
So, I guess just have shop swap out TPMS and install in same location on new set of rims. I.e. right rear old rim -> right rear new rim?

Do the TPMS Auto calibrate to new pressures / volume?
I answered your first question right up front in Post #3. No need to even worry about which corner is which. The distributed antenna system will lock on to the strongest signal at each wheel well and post the data on your screen accordingly. Magic!

The sensors read the air pressure present in each tire. Volume (size of tire) is not an issue. Temperature is the only thing you need to be concerned with. Verify that they are at the desired/required pressure when cold.

2002 OBW base model with automatic. Added: CD player, Security System, tweeters & subwoofer, trailer hitch, lighting mods, cabin filters, hood deflector, drivers lumbar mods, winter tires.
2014 OBW Premium, CVT & Moonroof. Added: trailer hitch, lighting mods, upgraded horn, winter tire/wheel/TPMS package.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:35 PM

Car: 2019 3.6R & 04 FXT
Just got new tires from the Tirerack and Enkei wheels from Oakos. My local dealer didn't want the business. Tirerack has a recommended installers. I'm going to one tomorrow.

Admin @ SubaruForester.Org
His...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Her...19 OB Limited 3.6R
Spare...98 Forester S
Daughter...07 OB
Dad...19 OB Limited 2.5
Sister...98 OB
Brother...19 Crosstreck Limited
Brother...17 WRX & 18 Impreza
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRu View Post
........ Tirerack has a recommended installers. I'm going to one tomorrow.
That's exactly how I get mine done. Go to Tirerack, Tirebuyer, or any of several on-line dealers and look up the shops in your area that will install items that you bring in. They even quote prices. $68 - $80 is pretty typical for a set of 4 built and installed on your car.

In my area Firestone Complete Autocare, Mavis Tire, Monroe Muffler Brake (chains), and Arlington Tire (independent) all will assemble components you bring in, including TPMS sensors. They'll re-register the codes if you need them to do that too.

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Car: '17 3.6 Limited
I know your situation sucks but let's keep things PG, please.

Also, a Wal-Mart will mount and balance the tires for next to nothing.

Have them put the OEM sensors in the new wheel and it will all work.
LightninST likes this.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber2 View Post
That's exactly how I get mine done. Go to Tirerack, Tirebuyer, or any of several on-line dealers and look up the shops in your area that will install items that you bring in. They even quote prices. $68 - $80 is pretty typical for a set of 4 built and installed on your car.

In my area Firestone Complete Autocare, Mavis Tire, Monroe Muffler Brake (chains), and Arlington Tire (independent) all will assemble components you bring in, including TPMS sensors. They'll re-register the codes if you need them to do that too.
Down here $100 is more typical and I would gladly pay that. I found local speed shop with new Hunter equipment Iím talking to see how that goes. I have a week or so before rims & tires get here.

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Wal-mart I’ll pass on, I avoid place like the plague. LOL.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: