Hawk brake pads - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2008 Outback H6 LL Bean , 94 Ford Aerostar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hawk brake pads

Has anyone tried these: https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...nd&group=&cat= , on an H6??
See the link at the bottom for a pad compound chart. Looking at it I seem to like the street/race compound, too much ????

Last edited by vanman; 05-15-2019 at 07:54 PM. Reason: forgot a line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Cannot edit this post. Looking at the chart I seem to like the street/race compound, too much ???

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:15 PM

Car: 2019 3.6R & 04 FXT
I've had good luck with Hawk HPS 5.0 pads
HeyChris and Biebs like this.

Admin @ SubaruForester.Org
His...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Her...19 OB Limited 3.6R
Spare...98 Forester S
Daughter...07 OB
Dad...19 OB Limited 2.5
Sister...98 OB
Brother...19 Crosstreck Limited
Brother...17 WRX & 18 Impreza
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:37 PM

Car: 2015 Outback Limited 2.5
Less aggressive pad = longer rotor life

How many autocroos events will you do with your Outback???

Stick with a less agessive pad will make your rotors last longer.

Good advice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRu View Post
I've had good luck with Hawk HPS 5.0 pads

2015 Outback Limited 2.5 - 20MM rear Swaybar, Yokohama YK740 GTX 235/60-R18, Perrin Steering Lockdown
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:37 AM

Car: '17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
I'll concur with the HPS pads. It's like the streets of San Francisco here. Lower quality pads last around a year for us. The HPS lasts around three years.

'17 3.6R Touring BBP
'04 Foz XS
'01 Bean Wagon
'00 OBW
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:53 PM

Car: 2016 Outback Touring H4 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Cannot edit this post. Looking at the chart I seem to like the street/race compound, too much ???
You won't like HP+ or HP Plus, too much dust. I'm happy with the HPS and HPS 5.0 on the other car. Not sure what I'll put on the OB but it will be more aggressive on the rear compared to the front, when its time to stop I want it to be as quickly as possible. I don't understand why there's a desire to save rotor life, just doesn't make any sense, I'd rather save MY LIFE.
Zedhead and HeyChris like this.

2016 Touring Outback H4 6MT - its CDN
RSR lowering springs in storage
BC Racing Coilovers on the OB - lowered 2.5"
20 mm RSB
Fumoto F-108N
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

I keep the wheels waxed so dust easy to clean off, the reason to depart from stock is when driving hard in mountains after stopping the front of car stinks. Brakes seem to work OK but I would like better. Stock brakes seem to be a match to the stock tires, which were junk. After upgrading to Michelin's can got so much more out of car , not exactly autocross just fun driving. Been my experience that rotors are a replacement item anyway so better brakes are worth replacing rotors more often. As long as it's not these rotors, https://www.carid.com/dba/5000-serie...37&url=1626063 . Pricey but 4 lbs lighter than stock. More lb's dropped with lighter wheels and much better for our bumpy roads
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=jb13;5828097]You won't like HP+ or HP Plus, too much dust. I'm happy with the HPS and HPS 5.0 on the other car. Not sure what I'll put on the OB but it will be more aggressive on the rear compared to the front, when its time to stop I want it to be as quickly as possible. I don't understand why there's a desire to save rotor life, just doesn't make any sense, I'd rather save MY LIFE.
The harder you stop the more weight transfers to the front tires, in a really hard stop very little weight is left on the rears which is why ABS is so necessary , my ford has ABS on the rears only. If you want better stopping better fronts will give you more of an improvement. Sticky tires will also help a lot.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:00 PM

Car: 2016 Outback Touring H4 6MT
^^^^

yeah I'm aware of that, AutoX and track the STR Miata for a few years, love the roads in NC and PA. I get about 12 - 15k mi out of my RE71's
I remember when ABS was added to pick ups on the rear axle to prevent braking oversteer ie spinout.

FWIW some cars are rear bias braking to get more stopping power, its usually better to get the rears to work harder, with ABS there's not much risk of braking oversteer or spinout. You can simulate rear bias braking by putting a more aggressive pad on the rear which I will do when its time to replace pads and rotors on the OB.

2016 Touring Outback H4 6MT - its CDN
RSR lowering springs in storage
BC Racing Coilovers on the OB - lowered 2.5"
20 mm RSB
Fumoto F-108N
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:04 PM

Car: 2013 OBP Forester XT
Garage
I've run Hawks on all my Subarus for nearly twenty years now after the initial factory pads performance slid off the cliff.

I am currently running the 5.0's on my Forester & Wife's Impreza. They grab nicely and do not dust nearly as much as the HP+/HPS. Which are geared towards aggressive drivers or autocross/canyons, imo.

The HP+ will shorten your rotor's lifespan significantly. And HPS will squeak under light brake pressure/rolling to a stop. Experiences with both phenomenons.

Decade+ stay at home dad. Elementary School Running Club Coach. Flag Football Coach. Transport #1 for Gymnastic Gym Rat...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rental Dog Aficionado.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in