Raxles.com - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 12:08 PM

Car: 2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That definitely would have been the better way to go instead of the cheap reman/new axles because it would have cost the same or less. But I have other things I need to do and would rather just swap the axle than rebuild it. They're not hard to rebuild really...if you can pull an axle I'm sure you can rebuild it.

So you're right, if you want an axle that costs less and will probably last you another hundred thousand, get one from a junkyard with intact boots and not contaminated grease, reboot it, and go. If you need something quick and solid and don't mind paying extra, Raxles is probably the way to go.

Je Suis Désolé...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 07:20 PM

Car: 2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
Just got my axle from Raxles. Looks very good quality. Includes new axle nut and roll pin as all axles should. Can't wait to install it.

Je Suis Désolé...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 11:27 PM

Raxles axle installed without a hitch. The whole thing just feels quality.

Few months used Cardone axle, failed big clamp on outer joint, failed small clamp on inner joint.

Only one disappointing thing after I replaced the passenger's axle...Driver's side axle inner boot is also split...YAY! I might just reboot that one if it doesn't look too bad. Cars suck.

Je Suis Désolé...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 10:55 AM

Car: 85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
Subaru Boots, are way superior to anything you can buy in a parts store, RAXLES will be same as aftermarket, boots are cheapo.
You are better off with a OEM Subaru Axle, cleaned up, new grease, and OEM Subaru Boots.

cheapo boots are like thin plastic, and Subaru boots are THICK rubber.

Subaru's are a lot harder on axles than most cars, and they are more sensitive to inferior parts, more small vibrations show on a Subaru that will not even be felt on other makes.

85BRAT 97SVX, 2x91 Honda CRX, 91 RT4wd
03Baja
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheinen74 View Post
Subaru Boots, are way superior to anything you can buy in a parts store, RAXLES will be same as aftermarket, boots are cheapo.
You are better off with a OEM Subaru Axle, cleaned up, new grease, and OEM Subaru Boots.

cheapo boots are like thin plastic, and Subaru boots are THICK rubber.

Subaru's are a lot harder on axles than most cars, and they are more sensitive to inferior parts, more small vibrations show on a Subaru that will not even be felt on other makes.
We will see. I'll let you know in another 150k miles whether the Raxles have held up as well as the OEM.

What do you mean that Subarus are harder on axles? The biggest reason for boot failure is chronic heat damage from the exhaust, and boot failure is the biggest cause of joint damage/failure. Subarus aren't the only cars with exhaust close to the axles. In what other ways are Subarus harder on axles?

Je Suis Désolé...
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 11:16 AM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
RAXLES are probably way better than aftermarket. i don't think there's much to gain discussing whether RAXLES or used rebooted are better. there's pro's and con's to both and the one-stop-shop is enormously helpful.

lifted Subarus (outbacks/forester) have higher angles on the cv joints and stretch the boots more. that's one way they're sometimes harder. i've seen the "lower" stanced legacy's where the axles are nearly straight go a long time on boots.

they're also used a lot in winter, snow, chemically treated/salted roads and areas of the country. and even in those areas they're more likely to actually be on the roads during harsh conditions. people that have to drive in it for work, keep nicer cars in the garage during those periods, etc.

H6 OBW VDC, H6 OB Sedan, Tribeca, Lifted XT6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: