Mfactory Magnetic Drain Plugs - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 07:31 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I like my magnet solution because it traps the filings in the filter (and its free). When its replaced the metal filings goe with it:

https://subaruoutback.org/forums/show...&threadid=8140

Because my job provides an unlimited supply of these hard drive magnets I've used them for all sorts of things. I glued a bunch of them on a stick to drag around on the shop floor to pick up metal filings and junk. A paper towel does an adequate job of removing the stuff so I'm sure it would work fine for this plug.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 10:29 AM

Car: 07 2.5i
Quote:
Originally posted by Juan

Because my job provides an unlimited supply of these hard drive magnets I've used them for all sorts of things. I glued a bunch of them on a stick to drag around on the shop floor to pick up metal filings and junk. A paper towel does an adequate job of removing the stuff so I'm sure it would work fine for this plug.
I use the sticky side of duct tape remove filings/chips from a magnet. Not sure how well that would work with an oily magnet, only one way to find out!

When cleaning up chips after metal working, I wrap a plastic bag around the magnet. When done, turn the bag inside-out and toss chips into recycling bucket.

WARNING: those hard drive magnets are hella strong! Don't get any fingers or other body parts between two of them as they snap together. It WILL leave a nasty mark! Hurts, too!

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ron917
WARNING: those hard drive magnets are hella strong! Don't get any fingers or other body parts between two of them as they snap together. It WILL leave a nasty mark! Hurts, too!
Been there - Done that - Got the nasty blood blister when two of those things snapped together in the palm of my hand. I've been a bit scared of them ever since. Well, maybe not scared, but I am a LOT more careful how I handle them.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 07:02 AM
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT
seems like this is more useful for a differential application [do we already have mag plugs, i forget] .

i have a magtec trans pan and diff cover on my truck, the magnets are quite large and actually do get some shavings on them.

i also have mag plugs on my quads, they too get some material on them. i guess one way to look at it is, the stuff that's on the magnet isn't contributing to clogging up you filter prematurely if you use synth and long change intervals.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 06:00 PM

Car: 2005 obw 2.5
the oil drain plug is over kill, but a transmission drain plug would be another story. are these available for a 2005 subaru outback limited 2.5?
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 10:53 PM

Car: 98 Legacy L
Send a message via AIM to Reason Send a message via Yahoo to Reason
Engine protection overkill?? I guess to each their own. Everytime i change my oil theres stuff on this magnet. I guess I'd rather have the particals out of my engine rather floating around in there. As for these plugs I don't sell anymore. I'm offering a far superior drain plugs for engine, tranny and rear diff's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NOW OPEN

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 08:26 AM

Car: 06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
Engine protection overkill?? I guess to each their own. Everytime i change my oil theres stuff on this magnet. I guess I'd rather have the particals out of my engine rather floating around in there. As for these plugs I don't sell anymore. I'm offering a far superior drain plugs for engine, tranny and rear diff's.
Well, if it's a big chunk the filter will stop it, if it's a small chunk that gets through the filter it's small enough to hide in the oil film between parts.

Of course for a trans or a rear diff where there may be no filter to speak of, there's value to them.

Now there's certainly some benefit to having one on the oil plug as a diagnostic tool to pick up cam/follower/lifter/gear wear, but won't pick up journal bearing wear, of course.

Dave
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 06:08 PM

Car: '05 Subaru Legacy GT, '17 Legacy 3.6R
Back from the dead... the oil pan and tranmission bolts are different sizes on the '98 Outback right? Looking for a magnetic one for the transmission...
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 07:50 PM

Car: 98 Legacy L
Send a message via AIM to Reason Send a message via Yahoo to Reason
They are the same, I don't sell these anymore. I sell dimple, they are far better than these. Plus dimple plugs are made in USA.

NOW OPEN

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 07:44 PM

Car: '05 Subaru Legacy GT, '17 Legacy 3.6R
Tried the Dimple M20X1.5 plug in the trans today, works perfect!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: