Mfactory Magnetic Drain Plugs - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2007 Legacy GT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mfactory Magnetic Drain Plugs

If you have recently done an engine rebuild or transmission rebuild these plugs are a MUST in my opinion to protect your freshly machined cylinders or new Close ratio gears from metal particles. This doesnt mean you cant benefit from these plugs if you havent dont either of the above.

More Info:
-Increase your engine/transmission lifespan by removing metal shavings from your oil with this super strong magnetic drain plug
-This will prevent premature damage and will keep metal shavings from circulating throughout your engine/transmission
-Our plugs replaces your stock OEM drain plug with hassle free installation
-Although your oil filter does a good job of cleaning your oil it will not stop the metal particles/flakes from circulating in your system
-Our Magnetic Drain Plugs come with a crush proof aluminium gasket to stop leaks and utilises a neo-dymium magnet which will not rust
-This product provides you with cheap insurance and provides a way of indicating a problem that you may not be aware of before it becomes serious
-The image shows our magnetic drain plug lifting an old Cam Gear, a rear camber arm (Weighing over 1.3kg! You would be hard pushed to find a competing plug able to lift even half that weight!) and 2 plugs attracted to each other through a solid wood shelf
-Beware of cheap plugs on the market with a weak magnet, these plugs will provide a false indication as the particles will be washed away when you drain your oil or when you start your car
-Made out of high quality aluminum

All Fitments are in STOCK

Fitments Available For:
- Honda/Acura Oil Pan Fitment
- Honda/Acura Manual Transmission Fitment
- Lexus Oil Pan Fitment
- Mazda Oil Pan Fitment
- Mitsubishi Oil Pan Fitment
- Nissan Oil Pan Fitment
- Subaru Oil Pan Fitment
- Toyota Oil Pan Fitment
- Ford Oil Pan Fitment
- GM Oil Pan Fitment
- Vauxhall Oil Pan Fitment
- Opel Oil Pan Fitment

First Plug: $15US Shipped
Any Additional Plugs: $10.50 each

Contact Info:
Chris - Touge Tuning
Email: [email protected]

Subaru Drain Plug

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 07:15 PM

Car: 2.5l 2001 OB LTD MT
I actually like the look of these, and might consider buying into them. However, one thing with these magnets and teensy metal shavings: how the heck do you clean them? They obviously aren't going to let go of whatever they get easily!

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 10:06 PM

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5i, snorkel, skid plates, etc...
A bit of info on neodymium magnets

Neodymium magnets are very strong in comparison to their mass, but are also mechanically fragile and the most powerful grades lose their magnetism at temperatures above 80 degrees Celsius (176 degrees fahrenheit).

In regards to the information contained on the magnetic stripes of credit cards, neodymium magnets are amongst the only materials that can successfully erase this data.

That said, the small particles that may be picked up in your motor oil don't have sufficient mass to form a strong enough bond that you can't remove them with a little effort. It's as easy as just wiping with a clean rag. Whatever doesn't come off should stay on the magnet.

I've seen loads of articles about the ability of magnetic plugs and filters to remove particles down to 2 microns thereby reducing the theoretical wear they might cause to vital engine components. Bear in mind, these are nearly always written by the company or person trying to sell them to you. ( No offense Touge ) On the other hand, it's **** near impossible to find evidence of the effect of this pre-supposed wear under everyday normal driving conditions.

Does it make a difference in Formula One or in Rally engines that are custom built and have the snot beat out of them? Maybe.

Will you notice the difference in the overall life and reliable service of your daily driver? I'd be hard pressed to believe it.

In conclusion; far be it from me to knock anyone for buying something that makes them feel better or more secure about their car. Especially for short money. IMHO, it's a nice to have but you should be changing your oil and filter at a few short intervals after the type of machining work described anyway to flush out anything left behind. For my $20, I'd be more inclined to buy a Fumoto quick drain valve and save myself from having that initial run of warm oil run down my arm!

SOLD 05 Subaru Outback
03 Chevy Suburban
04 Audi allroad
SOLD 95 Audi S6

"99% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Re: A bit of info on neodymium magnets

Quote:
Originally posted by wbanas
Neodymium magnets are very strong in comparison to their mass, but are also mechanically fragile and the most powerful grades lose their magnetism at temperatures above 80 degrees Celsius (176 degrees fahrenheit).

In regards to the information contained on the magnetic stripes of credit cards, neodymium magnets are amongst the only materials that can successfully erase this data.

That said, the small particles that may be picked up in your motor oil don't have sufficient mass to form a strong enough bond that you can't remove them with a little effort. It's as easy as just wiping with a clean rag. Whatever doesn't come off should stay on the magnet.

I've seen loads of articles about the ability of magnetic plugs and filters to remove particles down to 2 microns thereby reducing the theoretical wear they might cause to vital engine components. Bear in mind, these are nearly always written by the company or person trying to sell them to you. ( No offense Touge ) On the other hand, it's **** near impossible to find evidence of the effect of this pre-supposed wear under everyday normal driving conditions.

Does it make a difference in Formula One or in Rally engines that are custom built and have the snot beat out of them? Maybe.

Will you notice the difference in the overall life and reliable service of your daily driver? I'd be hard pressed to believe it.

In conclusion; far be it from me to knock anyone for buying something that makes them feel better or more secure about their car. Especially for short money. IMHO, it's a nice to have but you should be changing your oil and filter at a few short intervals after the type of machining work described anyway to flush out anything left behind. For my $20, I'd be more inclined to buy a Fumoto quick drain valve and save myself from having that initial run of warm oil run down my arm!

While I do agree on it being pretty hard to show data that the drain plug will gurantee that your engine will last longer it is good for piece of mind. For under $20 you know whether or not your oil is doing its job or if something is wrong. The fumoto valve is a neat item but I personally think its not worth the money as it doesnt do anything for you other than keep your hands clean which shouldnt be a priority. I just got my 2007 Legacy 2.5GT in January and on my first oil change I installed the plug and have since done 2 changes and have found a nice amount of metal shavings on the plug. I would rather have those shavings out of the engine in the garbage then continually floating through my engine potentially causing excessive and catastrophic wear.

I appreciate the input and hope people can see the benefit to having this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 04:52 AM

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5i, snorkel, skid plates, etc...
Alright then, where do I PayPal my $15?

I'll give it a shot on my wife's Town & Country. Can't hurt!

SOLD 05 Subaru Outback
03 Chevy Suburban
04 Audi allroad
SOLD 95 Audi S6

"99% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at..."

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Re: Alright then, where do I PayPal my $15?

Quote:
Originally posted by wbanas
I'll give it a shot on my wife's Town & Country. Can't hurt!
Not sure if I have fitment for a town and country, pm me the year/make/model and ill see if I do.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 08:13 AM

Car: 98 Legacy L
Send a message via AIM to Reason Send a message via Yahoo to Reason
I had one of these on my 97 GT. I changed my oil every 2500 miles. I used Royal Purple and each time I changed they weren't much shavings on the magnet (but there were some) It just wipes off with a rag. Don;t over think a simple product. Nobody can tell you if it works or not. I say buy one and see for yourself. I plan on getting another one shortly.

$15 shipped won't hurt anyone's wallet. One of the better prices I seen around.

NOW OPEN

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 08:34 AM

Car: 2.5l 2001 OB LTD MT
If I go for this, I would need a plug for (not sure how much info you need..):
2001 Subaru Outback Limited, MT
1993 Nissan Maxima, AT

You would have both?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 11:57 AM

Car: 98 Legacy L
Send a message via AIM to Reason Send a message via Yahoo to Reason
What color are these?

NOW OPEN

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 01:33 PM

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper
for 20.00 there are worse things to blow your money on.

Its sort of unnecessary. The oil pan is a resivoir. The oil gets pulled in by the pickup and then goes through the filter. The filter would normally get these particles, and in all honesty, where the plug sits, its only seeing a small volume of oil passing by the magnet. Also the larger amounts of metal that wears (if any) is aluminum, which is not magnetic.

Usually engines that dont have oil filters use magnetic plugs.

Its like chicken soup, it cant hurt, but really it won't make a big differnce either way. We already have engines that are known to go over 200,000 miles with ease, and it wont help the largest weak point in some of the engines, the HG.

So its like chicken soup, it wont hurt, but dont expect miracles.

nipper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: