Timing belt kit question - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By eagleeye

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2000 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5l H4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Timing belt kit question

I'm gearing to swap the timing belt on my 2001 OBS 2.2l. 8ve had a heck of a time finding an Aisin kit. In fact, I think they may only make the tensioner and no kit. I found this on Amazon. Has anyone purchased this before? Am i better off going to the dealer?

TBK Timing Belt Kit Subaru Impreza 2.2L 1999 to 2001 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AO6QGA..._QTJQCbTB6J1K0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:35 PM

Car: 2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
Aisin timing belt here: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...nent+kit,16088

Rockauto is a forum sponsor and I think they're offering a 5% discount to forum members in their subforum.

Edit: sorry. I may have ignored the outback sport of your post thinking you meant outback sedan. I went off what your profile says you had for a car and ignored what you were actually looking for. I don't think above is what you're looking for.

Current cars: The Sex Wagon 2005 Legacy GT Wagon w/ 5 speed, Stage 2, TBSTI Bilsteins/STI Pinks and Whiteline everything else. The Outbean 2006 Legacy Outback LLBean 3.0r, All stock The Workhorse 2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 New Project 2009 2.5i SE--Blown Headgaskets

Past cars: 2001 Outback 2.5 Limited, 2003 Outback LLBean h6, 2008 Outback 2.5 base, 2010 Legacy 2.5i Premium w CVT, 2003 BMW 330CI, 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetic.rake View Post
Aisin timing belt here: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...nent+kit,16088

Rockauto is a forum sponsor and I think they're offering a 5% discount to forum members in their subforum.

Edit: sorry. I may have ignored the outback sport of your post thinking you meant outback sedan. I went off what your profile says you had for a car and ignored what you were actually looking for. I don't think above is what you're looking for.
No problem! I should update my profile to include the sport. I found one easy for the OBW but man, no one seems to have one for the sport 😞
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:30 PM

Car: 2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruVices View Post
No problem! I should update my profile to include the sport. I found one easy for the OBW but man, no one seems to have one for the sport 😞
It's it an Impreza (Outback Sport) , maybe that will turn up some results.

tdck's FrankenWagon
suspension - brakes - cooling - power
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XRT Tuned, Running Blind

tdck's Cherry Bomb
Chassis & Suspension Bits
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Also XRT Tuned & Running Blind

CKE SSP product information and sales :
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:43 PM

Car: 2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
I had a look at the description of the T/B kit you linked to at amazon...

Quote:
Timing Belt Kit Subaru Impreza 2.2L 1999-2001. Includes: timing belt, water pump with gasket, timing belt tensioner assembly, right timing belt idler (smooth), left lower timing belt idler (smooth), cogged timing belt idler, two accessory drive belts, front crankshaft seal, two front camshaft seal kits, thermostat, thermostat gasket.This kit has original equipment manufactured parts, identical brands that originally came with the vehicle. The timing belt is Mitsuboshi or Bando brand. The water pump is NPW or Aisin of Japan. The thermostat is Kuzeh of Japan. All idler and tensioner bearings are double rowed and made in Japan by Koyo and NSK. The hydraulic tensioner assembly brand is NTN of Japan. The drive belts are Bando and the seal brand is Stone of Japan. Subaru recommends replacement every 105,000 miles or 105 months, whichever occurs first. This kit includes everything that should be replaced when doing a timing belt replacement. This kit will service Subaru Impreza's with 2.2L engines with a year range of 1999-2001. services years: 1999, 2000, 2001.
Looks like good quality parts are in that kit. Japanese bearings. Water pumps are good brands. I don't know about the "bando" brand though.

Looks quality, even though it's expensive.

I had a look at AISIN's website and you're right--they make no kit for your car.

Current cars: The Sex Wagon 2005 Legacy GT Wagon w/ 5 speed, Stage 2, TBSTI Bilsteins/STI Pinks and Whiteline everything else. The Outbean 2006 Legacy Outback LLBean 3.0r, All stock The Workhorse 2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 New Project 2009 2.5i SE--Blown Headgaskets

Past cars: 2001 Outback 2.5 Limited, 2003 Outback LLBean h6, 2008 Outback 2.5 base, 2010 Legacy 2.5i Premium w CVT, 2003 BMW 330CI, 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wagon & a 2.5 Limited Sedan
it seems they don't make them for the 2.2, save the tensioner adjuster and the waterpump.

Aisin waterpump is only $35 on rockauto.

So for the rest of the timing set: I would be buying subaru OEM stuff. (and therefore getting no JUNK)
miker104 likes this.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car":

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:23 PM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
check here; https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...des-vip-s.html

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetic.rake View Post
I had a look at the description of the T/B kit you linked to at amazon...

Quote:
Timing Belt Kit Subaru Impreza 2.2L 1999-2001. Includes: timing belt, water pump with gasket, timing belt tensioner assembly, right timing belt idler (smooth), left lower timing belt idler (smooth), cogged timing belt idler, two accessory drive belts, front crankshaft seal, two front camshaft seal kits, thermostat, thermostat gasket.This kit has original equipment manufactured parts, identical brands that originally came with the vehicle. The timing belt is Mitsuboshi or Bando brand. The water pump is NPW or Aisin of Japan. The thermostat is Kuzeh of Japan. All idler and tensioner bearings are double rowed and made in Japan by Koyo and NSK. The hydraulic tensioner assembly brand is NTN of Japan. The drive belts are Bando and the seal brand is Stone of Japan. Subaru recommends replacement every 105,000 miles or 105 months, whichever occurs first. This kit includes everything that should be replaced when doing a timing belt replacement. This kit will service Subaru Impreza's with 2.2L engines with a year range of 1999-2001. services years: 1999, 2000, 2001.
Looks like good quality parts are in that kit. Japanese bearings. Water pumps are good brands. I don't know about the "bando" brand though.

Looks quality, even though it's expensive.

I had a look at AISIN's website and you're right--they make no kit for your car.
I had a look at that too which is basically the only reason I even considered it. Maybe I can message the seller and ask that they at least make sure the Mitsuboshi timing belt is included and the Aisin water pump. Not sure how far that would get me though

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
it seems they don't make them for the 2.2, save the tensioner adjuster and the waterpump.

Aisin waterpump is only $35 on rockauto.

So for the rest of the timing set: I would be buying subaru OEM stuff. (and therefore getting no JUNK)
I agree. I may go this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Lucky Texan View Post
Thanks @Lucky Texan! I sent them a PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: