Sound Deadening your 5th Gen - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Car: 17 Outback Ltd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I finally got back to work on this and sound deadened the doors, the weather was about as uncooperative as it can get but my indoor work space is full of other projects and I finally had the roughly 5 hours to do this. When it's cold out and you have to work with plastic a heat gun is a great tool to keep the plastic flexible, cold makes it brittle and likely to crack or tear with pressure applied

To start the door cards each have two screws holding them to the door, they are hidden behind these plastic covers that you can open with a small flat head or similar tool

The other screw is in the door handle and the recession makes it more difficult to pry open using only gentle force, push too hard and you can gouge the plastic or break the tab that hold it down

When you get the covers open, hopefully without breaking them, they stay attached on the one side and don't need to be completely removed

With the screws removed there are just a few pop clips holding the card, I found pulling from the hinge side first worked best and worked my way around the bottom

There is one pop clip in the middle along the bottom that pulled out of the card on every single door, another pesky one is the one in the center of the card between the armrest and the door lever that is easy to forget about

I took the water barrier off with as much of the sealant as I could but the sealant won't really harm anything, taking off the plastic covers on the top left (removed) and bottom left make it much easier to access the door skin

I used the heat gun to warm up the outer skin and the dynamat to promote adhesion, the inside does get some exposure to water so cleaning or at least wiping it down before applying the dynamat will also help

Using the water barrier as a template I cut it's replacement out of the ensolite, it looks like there is some insulating foam in the barrier already but I still prefer replacing it with ensolite

The bracket for the door handle as well as a couple harness clips needed to be removed and reinstalled over the ensolite, the spot for the center pop clip needs to be cleared so it can sit flush and the door card is ready to go back on

Plugging all the electrical connectors back in is simple enough but there is a lot of them, the cables have different size balls on the end so they don't get installed incorrectly but there is a blue mark where the black cable goes to make sure you will at least try to swap them

Brucey and AlbanyRob like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Found this little guy hiding behind the passenger door card, the free ride is over buddy

I really like the access you get with the covers removed, I was able to use some pretty big strips unlike with the rear hatch

Putting the ensolite on around the edges first and then pressing it into the middle keeps it fitting correctly, there is some slack for it to fit into recessed areas and if it's too tight the door card won't want to fit

The rear doors have great access like the front but the impact bars are diagonal making for some tricky shapes to cover

There's one pop clip on the rear doors that needs to go through the ensolite, the one in the bottom right corner should be cleared like the others so the clip can sit flush

I think I might have the answer to a complaint a lot of HK Outback owners have about the sound being weak in the rear, never seen a woofer so blocked and keep in mind it still has the grille to pass through after this baffle

On the last door I noticed some sprinkles starting to fall while heating up the edge of the card, it's good to keep a bit of distance to spread the heat over a larger area and to avoid possibly melting anything

The rear doors have the same foam in the water barrier and in this pic you can see clearly the indent the door card needs to sit properly, always cut the ensolite a little larger because it won't stretch as well to fill those depressions

Rushing things along to get out of the rain I forgot to put dynamat on the outer skin, feels pretty bad making that mistake

I managed to push through and finish thanks to my huge umbrella courtesy of Subaru, next thing is the floor and I will be waiting for better weather or garage space for that

Brucey, scoobydoo2 and ndshiba like this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:01 PM

Car: 2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
So...what kind of difference have you noticed?

You can't buy happiness but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.

The human soul, in some ways like good helium, expands to whatever environment it has. Or conversely sinks to whatever ditch it is offered. That's where the real battles are waged-and waged continually. David Adams Richards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:55 PM

Car: 2017, Touring, 2.5
Love this post! Keep up the great work. Any updates on the floor?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydoo2 View Post
So...what kind of difference have you noticed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IITenaciousG View Post
Love this post! Keep up the great work. Any updates on the floor?
The only wind noise I hear is through the glass, I'm thinking window tint might help with that. Still a lot of road noise through the floor, drivetrain noise as well. I'm also thinking of getting back into the doors and adding more dynamat around the speakers
russellpat likes this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 01:50 PM

Car: 2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
Garage
Excellent work. I added Hushmat, 3/16" closed cell foam (CCF) and mass loaded vinyl (MLV) on the floors and under the console. I did not remove seats, what a pain. It made a significant difference in road noise. I also did the cargo area and doors as well. Well worth the effort. I made a post about my efforts in the Gen 5 section.

I added hushmat around and behind all my door speakers as well as the rear subwoofer. Seems to make the sound crisper and with more bass.

Thank you
Russell Casey, 2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory with Eyesight. Build date: 7/19/16. Purchased 8/5/16 in USA. Currently about 20,000 miles.
Added LED backup, cargo, door courtesy lights and Lamin-X yellow film on LED fog lights. Nushield Dayvue antiglare screen, Soundproofed front/rear doors, floorboard, cargo floor, tailgate & all wheel wells. 7/70 zero gold warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: