DIY: Gen 4 FB 2.5L Oil & Filter Change - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 03:32 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
To be more precise, I believe neither "hole" is a drain.

The threaded pipe in the center carries the oil from the filter to the oil galleries in the engine. The "hole" identified by the added red square in the photo is the where the oil comes to the oil filter from the oil pump. The gasket on the filter contacts the polished ring just outside of where the "squared" hole is located.

Both openings act as "drains" when the oil filter is removed:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filter (Small).jpg
Views:	46824
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	63210   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil filter fitting.jpg
Views:	31283
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	63218  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 11:41 PM

Car: 2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Satin White Pearl, Lineartronic CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drm4633 View Post
additional comments:
  • 14mm for drain plug
  • I add 5 qts every time and it doesnt appear to be over on the dipstick
Is this a correction from the originally stated 17 mm, or does this apply to pre-2014 models? The oil change procedure looks easy, and I have access to an Auto Hobby Shop on Dover AFB where I can put the car up on a lift and use a proper oil drain canister.

Also, how much oil remains in the filter? Does the fact that the filter is situated upside-down mean that most of it drains back down into the oil pan?

I'm also wondering if there is a DIY procedure for changing the fluid in the CVT. I am a big believer in frequent changes of automatic transmission fluid. It's a lot cheaper than a new transmission!

post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 08:09 AM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5
What is the size of the oil filter cap wrench?
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodoc View Post
Is this a correction from the originally stated 17 mm, or does this apply to pre-2014 models? The oil change procedure looks easy, and I have access to an Auto Hobby Shop on Dover AFB where I can put the car up on a lift and use a proper oil drain canister.

Also, how much oil remains in the filter? Does the fact that the filter is situated upside-down mean that most of it drains back down into the oil pan?

I'm also wondering if there is a DIY procedure for changing the fluid in the CVT. I am a big believer in frequent changes of automatic transmission fluid. It's a lot cheaper than a new transmission!
14mm is for the earlier Gen 4 engines, 2010-2012 MY. Yours (2014) and mine (2013) have a 17mm drain plug and the oil filter on top of the engine.

Not too much oil remains in the filter, 0.2 quarts according to the manual. Spec calls for 5.1 quarts of oil when replacing the oil and filter. Always replace both when doing a change, oil filter replacement is just as important.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R o b _D.
Current car: 2013 TB/BC Subaru Outback, 2.5i Premium 6mt
Before you start a new thread, please search first! Learn how
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bennett View Post
What is the size of the oil filter cap wrench?
65/67 mm 14 flutes

R o b _D.

post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO River View Post
65/67 mm 14 flutes
Thanks. I had a 76mm I thought might work but it's a little big.

I still have two free oil changes to go but afterwards I'm doing it myself. I always buy one of these threaded filler funnels when I get a new vehicle. Not required but it makes it easier to refill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	8493
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	81409  
post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 12:00 PM

Car: 2014 Outback, 2.5i Commodity
Check the instruction on the oil filter itself for the proper tightening specification. Some filters have Symbols instead of written instructions, se the following link:

http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/...ish/99-3R2.pdf

Here is the link to the steps according to the Filter Manufacturer Council;

http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/...ish/93-3R1.pdf

Before installing the new filter, make sure the old rubber grommet came off with the old filter. The new filter will have a new rubber grommet on it already. I like to rub a little oil on the new rubber grommet to make a nice seal when installing the new filter. Install the new filter by hand-tightening the filter, then use the oil filter cap wrench to torque to 9 ft-lbs (or I believe the other "approved" spec is turn until tight, then 1/4 turn more).

Before taking the car for a spin and after starting the engine check for leaks from the filter or drain plug.

Check underneath the car to make sure no oil has seeped from the drain plug. Now start the Outback up, and make sure the oil check light does not come on. If it does, turn the car off immediately and recheck your work. If the dashboard is clear, take the car for a short spin, come back and park it on a level surface, let it idle for a minute, turn the engine off, let it sit for a minute, and then check the oil level. For me ~5.1 quarts puts the oil level just below the full mark when hot.
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 01:38 PM

So Rob, when are you going to post a DIY GEN 4 spark plug change? I've seen some for previous GEN's but not for 4. I've still got a little over 50K until I get there but I want to be prepared when the time comes. There's not a lot of room to work with in there.
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

^ I've got 40K miles until that maintenance item comes up for me, so stay tuned long term haha.

R o b _D.

post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO River View Post
^ I've got 40K miles until that maintenance item comes up for me, so stay tuned long term haha.
I put about 25K miles a year on a vehicle so I hope you get there before I do!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: