Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 obw 2.5dohc..auto & 99 obw 2.5dohc...auto
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the differences are between a 2000 Legacy OBW axle and a 99 legacy OBW axle?? I know that the hubs on a 2000 are a bit bigger, but both the 00 and the 99 have phase two trannies(meaning the inner joints would be the same) and I can't imagine the axle splines themselves to be different...I mean...It's possible but...I'm really hoping to use the 00 axle on the 99. Is the drive axle longer, thicker in diameter, or what??

·
Registered
2006 WX8: my "Outback" > yours
978 Posts
The difference must be in the ABS tone ring on the outer joint housing. A 1999 axle doesn't have one, because it is mounted to the hub flange.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
you can use a 00 axle on a 99 if you knock the tone ring off.
i don't know if you have to knock it off, but i have always done it and heard you should.

you cannot use the 99 on the 00 if you want to have the ABS work. the axle splines will fit, but the tone ring will be missing.

·
Registered
98 obw 2.5dohc..auto & 99 obw 2.5dohc...auto
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you can use a 00 axle on a 99 if you knock the tone ring off.
i don't know if you have to knock it off, but i have always done it and heard you should.

you cannot use the 99 on the 00 if you want to have the ABS work. the axle splines will fit, but the tone ring will be missing.
You are the man :)

·
Registered
2006 WX8: my "Outback" > yours
978 Posts
Another small but important difference is that the dust shields/baffles are not identical and it seems that removing the ABS ring would render a new-style dust shield ineffective.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts